Love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

restever99

Dec 28, 2008
New York City
So I've been smoking quite regularly out of my 901b until I modded it. Then it seemed to work great for a bit and then quit on me. I have a feeling too much liquid was being "direct injected" into the atomizer since I constructed a makeshift cartridge and placed it infront of the atomizer. So.....

Fortunitly my penstyle from ecigsales.com showed up and man oh man, what an awesome piece of equipment. Lots of vapor, a clean even draw, I can actually taste the flavor of the liquid! I'm sold on this one for a while until I figure out where to go next and do something stupid and modify it. I highly suggest it.

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
So I've been smoking quite regularly out of my 901b until I modded it. Then it seemed to work great for a bit and then quit on me. I have a feeling too much liquid was being "direct injected" into the atomizer since I constructed a makeshift cartridge and placed it infront of the atomizer. So.....

Fortunitly my penstyle from ecigsales.com showed up and man oh man, what an awesome piece of equipment. Lots of vapor, a clean even draw, I can actually taste the flavor of the liquid! I'm sold on this one for a while until I figure out where to go next and do something stupid and modify it. I highly suggest it.

Restever99, I'll think you will eventually find that the mods that really make a difference are those directed at the power supply. Accepting the limitations of the current atomizer technology (within which I personally find the classic penstyle atomizers to be preferred), the better the power source, the better the vapor experience.

Take a look, or another look if you have already, at the threads in the Tips and Tricks section devoted to power souce mods: Madog's magnum and Bastage's various postings are good examples of what I mean. Of course, Trog's screwdriver is a prime example as well. But if you want to obtain the benefits of the SD without the premium in price, just make your own battery mod. Believe me, if you do, you'll never go back to a regular e-cig battery again!

restever99

Dec 28, 2008
New York City
Well my first personal concern was with vapor production. Even when I was smoking cigarettes/pipe/hookah/cigar I loved the smokiest I could get so it was a personal choice. In a previous thread I had mentioned that I have started designing from the bottom up a brand new esmoking device. My first concern there was improving the powersource to take easily available batteries or a wall plug. Improving the atomizer was my next stop.

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Well my first personal concern was with vapor production.

But that was precisely my point. You may not have realized it, but it is the vast improvement in vapor production/throat hit that I was referring to, not merely battery life. A better, stronger power source = better vapor production and consistency.

And I am comparing a classic penstyle vs the SD used with the exact same penstyle atomizer (I have an adapter for my SD, because I really do prefer the penstyle atomizer over the 901 style).

Last edited:

Zach

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2008
Detroit, Michigan, USA
Yvilla is right, the lithium ion batteries that come with e-cigs, even good ones, are not nearly as good as an external power source of some sort with a larger battery. The battery in an e-cig is like the size of an AAA and cant give consistent power to the atomizer like external sources.
External power gives much thicker and more flavorful vapor, it really cooks the juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread