Love my 401 but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghalenlee

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2009
Manchester, CT
I'm finding that I love love love my 401 on the pass-thru, but not so much on the batteries. I have the auto batteries and lately it just seems they suck. Very little flavor or vapor. I don't think it's the liquid or the atty because as soon as I hook it up to the pass-thru I'm in vaping heaven.

I haven't had the batteries long. End of October for the oldest. They just seem really weak compared to the PT. Unfortunately, I can't be hooked up to the computer all the time.

Is there any way to get that PT experience with batteries? I know nothing about amps and all the 3.7 5 volt (??) stuff makes my head spin so please don't start because I just won't understand it. I also don't want to be buying a whole boatload of new equipment. Would manual batteries be better?

Maybe someone can explain to me what the difference is between the PT and the batteries. I have the PT that Litecig sells... M401 USB Passthrough
Maybe if I understood the difference I could figure out where to go from here.

I haven't tried any other type of PV, and I really do like this one.. when I'm hooked up to the computer...

Ghalenlee

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2009
Manchester, CT
Was just looking at that Eastmall site and they have something called Indulgence coming soon and it looks kinda interesting. Have you looked at it? Looks like I can use my 401 attys with it. Interesting that there's a "mod" (cuz it kinda looks like one even if mass-produced) that is including the 401, kinda got the feeling they (401s) were shunned for modding. Do you think that those kinda batteries (18350 ??) would give a more PT like experience than normal 401 batteries?

Wow, if I could possibly ask questions in any more convoluted of a manner I might not even be able to say what the heck it was I was asking.

Fedor

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008

Sludge Van Diesel

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2009
Barnet UK
Was just looking at that Eastmall site and they have something called Indulgence coming soon and it looks kinda interesting. Have you looked at it? Looks like I can use my 401 attys with it. Interesting that there's a "mod" (cuz it kinda looks like one even if mass-produced) that is including the 401, kinda got the feeling they (401s) were shunned for modding. Do you think that those kinda batteries (18350 ??) would give a more PT like experience than normal 401 batteries?

Wow, if I could possibly ask questions in any more convoluted of a manner I might not even be able to say what the heck it was I was asking.
Possibly, although it's an unknown quantity at the moment as they're not out yet, so there are no reviews.

jussumdood

Sep 24, 2009
"Maybe someone can explain to me what the difference is between the PT and the batteries. I have the PT that Litecig sells... M401 USB Passthrough
Maybe if I understood the difference I could figure out where to go from here."

Howdy,
I have the Passthrough from litecig as well as the manual batteries for the Smoore built M401. As far as I know, the passthrough has a chip and either a resistor or a regulator to hold the voltage passed to the Atty down below 4 volts, and the batteries come in with a little less voltage than that ( this is what I've read, not anything I've tested). The Manual batts are good, but the passthrough still outperforms them consistently.

I bought a Kensington power pack to run my passthrough on when away from the laptop ( usually find them on line for around $40 odd dollars,but got mine for $25 shipped at Amazon) and a 1 amp cigarette lighter adapter for driving ( Walgreens have them for around $8, It's a dual USB port type). Needless to say, I won't be buying anymore E-cig batteries for my 401- just back-up passthroughs and Attys, because this setup rocks, and performance with the manual batteries just can't compare. Energizer XPAL 4000 and 4001 power packs will also work, but are bigger and more expensive.

One thing you should try is cleaning the threads and contact section of your batteries, as they get a little smudge build-up which degrades performance over time.

Ghalenlee

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2009
Manchester, CT
I will be getting the car lighter 1 amp adapter for when I'm driving. I can probably handle the pass-thru and drive without too many problems.

I can't see using a pass-thru when I'm walking around outside or trying to sneak a vape in the bathroom at work. That's way too much stuff to be carrying around. I'm going to try the manual batteries and see how that works. Then go from there again I guess.

Thank you for the cleaning the batteries suggestion. I vodka q-tip them a couple times a week and wipe them off with a paper towel every time I change them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread