Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Maybe it is just Me. But I am under No Such Illusion.

LOL

BTW - Speaking of Clones and Illusions, here is a Re-Post of something I posted a Long Time ago...

Post #81 of Why Do People Knowingly Buy Clones?

BTW2 - That Owner above has about a Dozen LLC's/DBA's. And a S Corp or two.

To be fair, we've all encountered unique producers in every genre unworthy of their craft. It's the principle I support, and not to encourage a categorical predilection for originality at the expense of mediocrity.

Have no problems with business pursuing its own best interests in a responsible manner. It's transparency in advertising that matters however if they're not to shoot themselves in the process.

For us it matters that a maker understood what we need. The very nature of a clone is that it's merely a rendition.

Good luck. :)

homeuser6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
brightwood,or.,usa
I’ve never understood why some genuine mech mods are hundreds of dollars compared to their clone counterparts. It’s a brass or copper tube either way, you could make one yourself with a piece of pipe , am I right? They’re like a flashlight switch, not high tech at all right?
you are right.

DSC02645.JPG

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
you pay for craftsmanship....for some people it's unimportant to others it's beyond price.just like there are tons of people who couldn't really notice much difference between eating at Denny's or eating at a 5 star resturaunt...and if by some odd chance they could notice a difference the difference in price would not justify the difference in quality....to them....whereas other people happily pay the price.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
you pay for craftsmanship....for some people it's unimportant to others it's beyond price.just like there are tons of people who couldn't really notice much difference between eating at Denny's or eating at a 5 star resturaunt...and if by some odd chance they could notice a difference the difference in price would not justify the difference in quality....to them....whereas other people happily pay the price.

There's an ... for every seat when it comes to vaping. Nothin wrong with that. The more the merrier.

Good luck all. :)

VaperTrailBlazer

Jun 20, 2017
Australia
The difference is status and/or bragging rights, for the most part. I had a $200+ dollar Nemesis when it first came out and I loved it. Then, after a few months, I had a $30 clone from either Tobecco or hcigar and I loved that one, too. I still have the original Nemesis and the clone and guess what...unless I look at the numbers, I can't tell the difference. They both work the same. Throughout the years, I've purchased many authentic mech mods and many clones. Most often, the clones hit the same. Save the money and buy a clone or many clones.

Yep. Couldn't agree more.
As I see it there are 2 valid points in your post.
1- When there is "brand recognition" at play whether it's sneakers or cars you're always gonna have people prepared to pay a premium for the badge. Human nature.
2- Part of the reason I stopped smoking and took up vaping was due to the cost of cigarettes. So whenever I'm browsing a website and see a new bit of kit I've *absolutely gotta have* I have to remind myself of that.
I expected I'd vape for a while to get off the ciggies, never expected it to become a hobby. It has so I don't mind dropping some bucks on it, but $400 for a mech mod? Na.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I see one thing being missed about clones in regards to authentic. While it is bad that someone puts in an investment for making an authentic and sells for say $100 and then it's cloned for $25, I don't see lost revenue.

The vast majority of clone purchasers, are not going to spend the money on a high end mod anyways. They would just find another low cost alternative to purchase. Having bought both I can't say I blame them to be honest, especially now.

What good is a high end device with a lifetime warranty, when the company goes out of business? It's just a measuring contest in a lot of ways. Look at Provari and USA Made Mods, while there is still some repair being done, how long will parts last?

Now as for OEM collusion proof is hard to find but let's use common sense on other things. Guitar makers like Fender for example make items from thousands to hundreds of dollars. They have their logo on all of them but they are not the same.

An Asian made Fender is not the same as an American, yet they will go to great lengths to sell on their name. They in effect cloned themselves before they could become cloned, yet they are still cloned. So customers who do not live and breathe Fender don't know what they might be getting.

Now look at say Vandy or CompVape, designed in one place and made overseas. There are only so many factories and most if not all, have a line(s) running something that isn't authentic. Majority of companies that do not want to be cloned, have restrictions on export not have their stuff made in Clone Country.

Reactions: stols001

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I was completely anti clone for a pretty long time. Something just wrong about it, especially when they copy logos and packaging. I still have an opinion about it, but I don't feel the need to forcefeed it on anyone. I know I tend to avoid clones....but...

If there's an atty I want and the manufacturer releases 50 at a time to some secret group that I can only join with a DNA sample and a vouch from someone.....I'm all over the clone. In my opinion, that's just begging China to fire up the machines. I won't ever pay flipper prices and I'll never jump through one single hoop to obtain your precious little trinket. Logos and packaging be damned.

Speaking of Narda, the yftk versions are absolutely fantastic. :D

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I was completely anti clone for a pretty long time. Something just wrong about it, especially when they copy logos and packaging. I still have an opinion about it, but I don't feel the need to forcefeed it on anyone. I know I tend to avoid clones....but...

If there's an atty I want and the manufacturer releases 50 at a time to some secret group that I can only join with a DNA sample and a vouch from someone.....I'm all over the clone. In my opinion, that's just begging China to fire up the machines. I won't ever pay flipper prices and I'll never jump through one single hoop to obtain your precious little trinket. Logos and packaging be damned.

Speaking of Narda, the yftk versions are absolutely fantastic. :D

Always tried to support makers but ended up buying a lot of clones over the years. Mostly in the process of helping others get started. Still as I mentioned elsewhere I'd rather have spent that on mostly authentics all along. So I'm kinda running on a diff lane of that parallel track with ya A4. Bout one of the very best atty's ever for me's been 1:1 clones of the CEO FOG, an awesome producer and elegant. So much so I nev started on orig's 'till recently. But I hear ya on the subject of "brand" excess. It's really every shiny that comes along cheap or dear.

Good luck. :)

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Obviously not...
In fact, a little sad that everyone says these 1:1s are actually 1:1s.

I had to initially spend €40 ish on a metal tube from gus and £50 on a kayfun lite.
It was so worth it and I’ve never looked back.

It’s such a shame that every single clone mech and rta has had problems.
The dripper clones have had no problems though but my mechs have had dodgy switches and threading. The rtas fell to bits in my hands. Leaked, cracked and just ended up wasted money.

Good luck on the people who get these great clones.
You’re either lying or I’ve had bad luck.
I think bad luck for me...

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Obviously not...
In fact, a little sad that everyone says these 1:1s are actually 1:1s.

I had to initially spend €40 ish on a metal tube from gus and £50 on a kayfun lite.
It was so worth it and I’ve never looked back.

It’s such a shame that every single clone mech and rta has had problems.
The dripper clones have had no problems though but my mechs have had dodgy switches and threading. The rtas fell to bits in my hands. Leaked, cracked and just ended up wasted money.

Good luck on the people who get these great clones.
You’re either lying or I’ve had bad luck.
I think bad luck for me...
I don't use tube mechs anymore. Just mechanical squonkers and I build the ones I use. Floris Orcas for the enclosure, ModMaker for the 510 and Amazon for the copper sheets for contacts. For rtas, kayfuns and hurricanes are pretty much all I use and, so far, authentics have been readily available so I've got no experience with the clones. I've heard good things though. If I buy a clone of anything, it's sxk or yftk. Those are usually pretty good.
I did buy some coppervape skylines when the real ones were always unavailable. They were really good as well .

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
But for the the helpful advice mostly obtained here I would have dug a far deeper hole to throw the crappers in. Grateful as well to a few notables on the internet some of whom are represented here for their reliable assessment. Taken as a whole it's made some sound choices possible. So yeah, luck is preparation meets opportunity.

Now all'a yas go learn to wind with tension (you'll thank me sooner or later).

Good luck all. :D

Reactions: stols001

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Apparently you've never held or vaped on an original high end mech. There is usually a huge difference between an original and a clone copycat.

High end original mechanicals are often hand made by private business machinists, with a lot of attention to detail. More time and effort is applied because the machinists have their reputation at stake. The end result is smooth-as-silk threading between individual parts, a more aesthetic finish, a higher quality firing mechanism, a higher quality 510 connector.

In my experience, all of the clones come from Chinese factories whose overall quality of build and attention to detail leave something to be desired. I've seen clones whose threading was rough as sand and sounded like fingernails on a blackboard. I've seen crooked 510 connectors, or made from pot metal instead of stainless steel. I've seen firing buttons that appeared to be off center. They'll still "work" and are far less expensive than the originals, but like the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for".
^^^^ This
I've found that Clones of Chinese gear are very close, almost exact at times for most likely they were made in the same factory. Clones of Pinoy, US, European gear not so much. On the rare occasion you might.

I will buy a clone only
  • Try out before buying a high end Authentic fully realizing though that Clones are sub par
  • If I cannot find an Authentic
  • Out of spite for a maker that are real Douchbags

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I’ve never understood why some genuine mech mods are hundreds of dollars compared to their clone counterparts. It’s a brass or copper tube either way, you could make one yourself with a piece of pipe , am I right? They’re like a flashlight switch, not high tech at all right?
you are right.

View attachment 717609

What is the one on the bottom right with the hexagon grip? More pics of that please!

homeuser6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
brightwood,or.,usa
i quit smoking a few years ago with 901s so that explains the male threads on the one with the brass top. next i went with vivi novas so cut some slots for 510 air. my online vape store only carried 14500 trustfires which were way more mah than the 901 batteries. the spring on a 1/4 inch bolt switches were reliable but if they landed on the bolt when dropped the result could be a severe dent in the battery. these had to be as low tech and bullet proof as possible due to the rough environment of the machine shop where i worked, but when i gave them away everyone loved them because they could not fail to function. this machine shop was mostly acme-gridley bar machines so i had lots of stainless bar ends to work with. 18650s became the standard so i quit these and went with a recessed bronze button but kept the component count at eight.three parts on the top,a tube,and four part switch. they are still bullet proof. (see my public album)
i don't know if my mods are considered clones or authentic but they didn't cost me anything .
DSC02653.JPG

DSC02654.JPG
DSC02658.JPG
DSC02659.JPG
forgive my camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread