Loving it so far but seeking for advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OtsoCity

Jul 15, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Hello everyone!

A week ago I made the switch from cigarettes to vaping and am happy so far! :)
I visited a local vape shop where they hooked me up with the Exceed Box starter kit from Joyetech saying that this is a good starting point for a smoker. They didn't seem too experienced though and couldn't answer most of my questions. Hope you can help me!

The first few times I could feel the flavor, but now I'm barely getting any. Now I have to really try to get any resemblence of it. I've watched some reviews of this kit where people suggested getting a better vape tank. Could you suggest me one? I usually do mouth to lung but ocassionally open up the air intake wider so I can get a few big direct lung hits for a bigger nicotine hit.

Second, how often should I be dry cleaning the tank? I've done it a couple of times when switching liquids, but is it even needed?

I'm also constantly paranoid on keeping the thing straight up so the juice doesn't drip out of it (it's 5 euro for a 10 ml bottle in that shop). Does it even drip? :D

This brings me to the next thing I'd like to start doing - DIY juices. But I want to get sorted with my hardware first.

If you think I'm doing something wrong or you have any other advice to share - please do! :nun:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Howdy and welcome:)
The exceed box d22 is listing as having a sub ohm tank which probably means DL, so a different tank is not a bad idea. The problem is the box does not seem to be variable voltage as far as I can tell, so you may need a whole new kit. I don’t have one though and could be wrong about this.

OtsoCity

Jul 15, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Howdy and welcome:)
The exceed box d22 is listing as having a sub ohm tank which probably means DL, so a different tank is not a bad idea. The problem is the box does not seem to be variable voltage as far as I can tell, so you may need a whole new kit. I don’t have one though and could be wrong about this.
It actually comes with 2 tanks, as dennism pointed out above!
Should I swap the tanks? How is DL different from MTL? If I put on a DL tank, doesn't that mean that i should be vaping DL primarily? I am not set on which style I prefer yet :D
The only thing I can switch is between direct output mode and constant voltage output. What is the difference?
Why should I get a device with variable voltage?
Sorry for being annoying :unsure:

Reactions: stols001

OtsoCity

Jul 15, 2018
Riga, Latvia
if by "dry cleaning the tank" you mean firing the device with no juice to clean the coil, you shouldn't do that with replaceable coil heads, it will burn the wick material, so no it is not needed
I meant whiping all the juice out of it with a dry cloth, I figured firing the device with no juice burns the wick :D

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
The direct lung coil will run hotter and should be used with the airflow open to allow the coil to breathe. If you want to use the higher resistance mouth-to-lung coil you can close the airflow down to mimic a cigarette. The MTL coil SHOULD give you more flavor compared to the DL coil.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I would try both coils. You may find one more flavorful than the other. I personally prefer MTL vaping for a TON of reasons, but I do find it more flavorful. There are also TONS of folks that switch between MTL and DL at different times and in different situations. You may find out you prefer one or the other.

However, keep in mind often, type of juice and how flavorful it is TO YOU will depend on a lot of things, the manufacturer, what tastes you like, and what nicotine level (typically DL is of lower nic level, and MTL of higher, I MTL at 18 mg/ml but many folks using DL are using 3--9 nicotine maximum. So you may want to consider that.

Also, many "DL" geared juices are higher VG, and PG is more of a flavor carrier so sometimes more flavoring is needed in high VG juices (but not always).

Finally, you are new to vaping, you may not taste much in the beginning, your tastebuds have been damaged by years of smoking.. You may also be hitting "vapers tongue" where all your damaged taste buds die off, and are replaced with healthy ones, that can happen anywhere from a few weeks to 2 months more or less (although some folks get it intermittently).

You might want to try a strong tasting juice like a menthol or cinnamon juice, if you are having trouble tasting at the moment.

But most of all, congrats on switching to vaping, and welcome to ECF. Stick around. It's a great place to learn about all things vape and a fun place to hang out. Welcome aboard :)

Anna

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
You need a backup setup anyway so I would suggest you get a Innokin Kroma/Zenith kit and a Kanger Toptank for the device you already have. The Zenith atty is mtl & loose mtl, the Toptank is one of the few truly versatile airflow tanks so you are covered for all draw styles. Both have very good coils.
Kroma A Mod with Zenith Tank Starter Kit by Innokin
Kanger Toptank Mini

If you are a first time customer NEWMFS15 code will give you 15% off your cart.

BTW...welcome to ECF.

OtsoCity

Jul 15, 2018
Riga, Latvia
You might want to try a strong tasting juice like a menthol or cinnamon juice, if you are having trouble tasting at the moment.

Second thought, searching for a different, stronger flavor should've been my first impulse. When choosing one I didn't like the strong smelling ones so I went for more subtle berry and tropical flaves. I was looking for a more subtle aroma forgetting that I'm actually picking the flavor. Thanks for the eye-opener :D

I would try both coils. You may find one more flavorful than the other. I personally prefer MTL vaping for a TON of reasons, but I do find it more flavorful. There are also TONS of folks that switch between MTL and DL at different times and in different situations. You may find out you prefer one or the other.

Could you name some reasons you prefer MTL to DL? If I swap the coils, will I be able to use the old one again (will it not crust up because of the wick being juiced up)?

Thank you for the response! Glad becoming a part of such a welcoming community!

OtsoCity

Jul 15, 2018
Riga, Latvia
You need a backup setup anyway so I would suggest you get a Innokin Kroma/Zenith kit and a Kanger Toptank for the device you already have. The Zenith atty is mtl & loose mtl, the Toptank is one of the few truly versatile airflow tanks so you are covered for all draw styles. Both have very good coils.
Kroma A Mod with Zenith Tank Starter Kit by Innokin
Kanger Toptank Mini

If you are a first time customer NEWMFS15 code will give you 15% off your cart.

BTW...welcome to ECF.

Thank you, will look into these options! Problem is, I'm from Europe (Latvia) and they don't ship here :(
I will be trying out other stuff but could you please elaborate on why would I need a backup setup? Do they malfunction often?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Uh... I just do? Don't get me wrong, my horizons have expanded a bit and I have a great protected mech setup that provides plenty of vapor and I like it at times, but honestly, for flavor, not using 30 ml juice in a day, and when I got here I was near COPD so I couldn't really handle DL. But even now, I just am not a DL person. I don't like the amount of vape I'm inhaling, I don't like a LOT, I hate the draw, it doesn't remind me of a cigarette and for the most part, I simply avoid them. Etc.

Anna

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Thank you, will look into these options! Problem is, I'm from Europe (Latvia) and they don't ship here :(
I will be trying out other stuff but could you please elaborate on why would I need a backup setup? Do they malfunction often?
We are using mass produced equipment, failure is always a possibility regardless of quality.

Draw is like all things in vaping, highly subjective.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
How is DL different from MTL? If I put on a DL tank, doesn't that mean that i should be vaping DL primarily? I am not set on which style I prefer yet :D
MTL (mouth-to-lung) means you suck the vapor into your mouth, let it cool down a second, and then inhale it into your lungs. This technique is similar to smoking a cigarette, which is a tighter draw like sucking through a narrow straw.

DTL (direct-to-lung) means you suck the vapor directly into your lungs. This is a looser draw and like sucking through a wide straw.

There is no right or wrong way, it is personal preference.

The only thing I can switch is between direct output mode and constant voltage output. What is the difference?
I am not familiar with these terms. :blink:

Why should I get a device with variable voltage
Variable power/variable voltage/variable wattage all allow the user to adjust their vaping experience "on the fly".

If your oven or stove top burner had only one fixed heat setting, you'd probably become frustrated pretty quickly. Your oven and stove top burner have variable power knobs to allow you to adjust the power to them according to what and how you want to cook.

Most mods and many of the eGo battery devices have either variable voltage or variable wattage control buttons. Basically they are one and the same thing. This is a feature that allows you to adjust the battery current to the heating coils in your juice delivery device. In a nutshell, it allows you to adjust your vaping experience "on the fly".

For example, early in the day I may want a "cooler" or weaker vaping experience. Later in the day I may want a "warmer" or stronger vaping experience. By pressing the "+" or "Up" button I can increase the power, or by pressing the "-" or "Down" button I can decrease the power. This is a highly desirable feature.

QQ_20171221190020.png

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: dennism

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
No, they do not malfunction often, but you can drop them, loose them etc....
I visited a local vape shop where they hooked me up with the Exceed Box starter kit from Joyetech saying that this is a good starting point for a smoker.
Your lucky, looks like a decent mod and not sure about the "tanks", not my area of specific knowledge. Suggest you ask someone in the following forum about how to operate your tank,etc. The vape is all about the atomizer, the mod just delivers the power to the coil.
Tanks, clearomizers and drop-in coils
It actually comes with 2 tanks,
The kit comes with 2 coils
Second, how often should I be dry cleaning the tank? I've done it a couple of times when switching liquids, but is it even needed?
Recommend cleaning a tanks/RDA's with soap and water only when you feel you need to. If you elect,you may choose not to clean out your tank and just blend flavors within the tank.
I have provided a little more information which might help you defining MTL and DL.
Above-Ohm Vaping vs Sub-Ohm Vaping
Vaping and Inhaling: Everything You Need To Know
Suggest you read the following general vape information in order to communicate a little more effectively.
Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
Vaping and Inhaling: Everything You Need To Know
https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
http://guidetovaping.com/category/e-cig-beginner/
http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
http://ecigclopedia.com/6-quick-useful-vaping-tips-for-beginners/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...up-the-vaping-ladder-with-egos-and-mods.5058/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...nk-or-what-a-guide-to-juice-attachments.3230/

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
Letitia, the device is a voltage regulator. Wattage is determined solely by the coil resistance. It is made to use with the tank supplied. Basically just a battery with VR.
They don't seem to give any specifications as to what voltage it operates at.
OP cannot tell you any more, cause there isn't any more to tell!
I sure wouldn't be inclined to throw any more money at different tanks, coils, etc. trying to make it into what it isn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread