The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Loving Kanthal Ribbon A-1 Wire (Pics)

Discussion in 'Coil Builds' started by Muggs, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Muggs

Muggs Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 8, 2013
    CT
    I have been playing with some Kanthal ribbon wire I had around and I'm getting great results. Forgive me for not taking pictures of the great vapor this setup is kicking I'm too old for that, haha.

Wire: Kanthal A-1 Ribbon Wire .5mm x .1mm
    Number of wraps: 6
    Wire wrap tool: 2.4mm precision screwdriver
    Final Resistance: 1.7ohm
    Coil Setup: Single
    Wick: 3mm Silica
    RDA: Helios
    Mod: Sigelei Zmax V5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Muggs

Oct 8, 2013
    CT
    No love for the ribbon? Night crew?

3. bce22

bce22 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 1, 2014
    Blackstone, MA
    Nice looking build!

My favorite Rda so far is my immortalizer. Is it a coincidence it uses ribbon wire? I don't know. I've used ribbon on my Genesis tanks with mixed success (due to the wicked not the Wire I presume) but haven't thought about using it in any other device. I wonder how well it would work in an aqua tank or in my Storm-A which is similiar to a n origen?

Thoughts?

4. Muggs

Oct 8, 2013
    CT
    The ribbon covers a lot of the wick and I have noticed if a ribbon coil is wrapped too tight the wicks have a hard time keeping up. I used a 2.4mm bit and you know how ribbon slightly unwinds a little, it ends up about 3mm. Perfect for a 3mm wick, works amazing.

I don't know how well ribbon works in an RBA setup with a tank. I would think it would be great in an aqua. I might try a dual micro coil build with cotton soon. See how that works out.

5. Muggs

Oct 8, 2013
    CT
    Just got some round 30g in and built a DC .9ohm on a Patriot. I have been comparing ribbon and round, medium and low ohm, single coils and dual. The duals definitely kick more vapor for sure, sometimes too much for some but I like it.

I noticed a higher VG liquid and lower nic is very required getting into sub ohm. High PG is a rough on the throat. So if you like a good throat hit go with a single higher ohm coil like the one above. If you love the clouds and a low to medium throat the low ohm duals with the higher VG juice works well.

[​IMG]

6. bce22

bce22 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 1, 2014
    Blackstone, MA
    Thanks for the info. I don't know How I missed your response. I am going to try ribbon in one of my aquas to test it out.

7. Muggs

Oct 8, 2013
    CT
    Nice, let me know how it goes. This is a pic from a higher ohm 1.7 dual coil with round Kanthal 30g, 11 wraps each side. Just trying to dial in the amount of wraps for both round and ribbon dual and single for future reference.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.