Low batteries... is a higher voltage safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radicalchuu

May 16, 2013
Portland, Oregon
I have a zmax mini using 18350 batteries, and I don't get paid for a couple more weeks; so, I am kind of low on money. My rechargable batteries have, I guess, ran their course because the hit I am getting off of my normal 3.7 voltage is... well, there's vape, but no flavor or warmth; very airy. i thought, maybe, it might be the head on my Vivi Nova (I have a genuine one I bough from gotvapes) So I tried my Vivi on my boyfriends traditional eGo. It worked just fine; which sucks, because I bought everything in advance except batteries! So I was fiddling around and I turned the voltage up to 4v's, and I'm getting a better draw now. I am just so skittish of turning the voltage up so high; I don't want to burn my stuff or danger the plastic tube or some other nonsense!
Btw, I'm using 2.4ohm heads.
I have heard some horror stories about higher voltages with zmax and vivi novas and I don't know... what do you guys think? o_O

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
ZMAX and zmax mini is a VW rig..you should be able to turn up the wattage to get a better vape (it has circuitry that self adjusts to amplify the voltage internally to much higher than input voltage, then regulate it back down to the useable level [its called a buck boost circuit])

http://www.smoktek.com/assets/images/ZmaxUserSettings.pdf <- this is the manual for all the sub menu options and whatnot

Li Ion batteries safe drain limit is 3.2vdc, the ZMAX and mini have low voltage protection built in..it wont let you drain the batteries too far to kill em...it will vape and vape and vape, then tell you OK...low volts = go charge the batteries

Find the setting for VW, set it for 6-7 watts and don't worry about the voltage it will take care of adjusting it for you

Last edited:

radicalchuu

May 16, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Thank you :)
I noticed it was VW when I first got it in the mail, but since wattage was a new increment to me, I decided to change it to volts since that was what I was comfortable with manipulating at the time. Man, I can't wait to get my provari next month; I'm getting the mini with the bigger-battery adapter so I can get longer-lasting batteries! It seems like these 18350's don't last that long; I've only had them for 2 months, now :/

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Thank you :)
I noticed it was VW when I first got it in the mail, but since wattage was a new increment to me, I decided to change it to volts since that was what I was comfortable with manipulating at the time. Man, I can't wait to get my provari next month; I'm getting the mini with the bigger-battery adapter so I can get longer-lasting batteries! It seems like these 18350's don't last that long; I've only had them for 2 months, now :/
Yeah, I found that out also. Provari is a great choice. I have several. Its a little heavier, but you won't be sorry for the purchase. I have had mine since they first came out and still going strong.
:)

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
3.7 volts with a 2.4 ohm coil is rather low, 4 volts is a little on the low also. A simple rule some people use is to take the resistance (ohms) of the coil and add 2 to it to get starting voltage point. With your 2.4 ohm coil, adding 2 would give a starting point of 4.4 volts.

WarHawk makes a good point, VW works good. I normally start around 8 watts, but 6 or 7 should work for you considering you are using a low voltage setting now.

The coil gets gunk built up on it after a some use, this can affect the vape and is why some people dry burn them. Upping the volts or watts can help to compensate some for the buildup. Don't be afraid to up the volts/watts to get the vape you want, if you start to get a burnt taste, back off.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
It could be that your 2.4 heads have "crept up" to 2.6 - if you or a friend have a mod that can check. It's possible for resistance to change if the coil's getting gunked up...
Or is this different juice, maybe?

Anyway - when people discuss "higher voltage" they aren't talking about 4. That's fine!

The Provari should be great - that IS only Variable Voltage, by the way - not VW...
You'll get a LOT longer run time with an 18650. Not sure why your batteries would be "wearing out" after 2 months - they shouldn't, really. When you get new batteries - GET GOOD ONES. That's no place to save a buck...

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Yeah, I found that out also. Provari is a great choice. I have several. Its a little heavier, but you won't be sorry for the purchase. I have had mine since they first came out and still going strong.
:)

My mini ProVari and my ss Sigelei Zmax mini both weigh 4.25 oz. (with a battery inside. :)) The Zmax is a bit taller.

Last edited:

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
My mini ProVari and my ss Sigelei Zmax mini both weigh 4.25 oz. (with a battery inside. :)) The Zmax is a bit taller. :)

I have the full size Provari with 18650 extension, the Sigelei Zmax V2 and the Sigelei Zmax mini. All three get about the same amount of use, and they are all good devices. ProVari build quality is better, but you should expect that given the difference in price.

The full size ProVari in 18500 mode is about 1/4 taller than the Sig Zmax mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread