Low on computor memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaston

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2008
Texas, USA
My poor laptop was about to explode because of all the **** I had on it and I was not looking forward to "spring cleaning" of all of the files I no longer needed to make space for new stuff.

Today I was introduced to a program called WinDirStat that visually shows you what is taking up space on your hard drive so you can easily select and delete files.

Download it here.

Here is a screen shot of the program:

windirstat.jpg

As you can see, I have the top right box selected and it shows me exactly what it is. If it were some movie I had downloaded and did not need, I could easily delete it from the directory tree and free up the space.

I was able to quickly free up 25 gigs from mt hard drive in under 5 minuets!

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I will check that app out.

Don't forget to trim down on applications that are resource hogs. CTRL+ALT+DEL will bring up the task manager. If you click the Processess tab, I bet you probably have close to 80 or more processess running. Many of those unneccessary process will bog down system performance.

How do you know which ones are unneccessary?:confused:

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
How do you know which ones are unneccessary?:confused:

Trial, error and Google.

Most apps that automatically check for software updates (i.e. Google Toolbar, Adobe, etc) are the first you can kill safely. Unless you really want those services running.

Next are apps that start up with your computer, but don't need to be running until you want to use them. For example, I have an external Maxtor HD I use to backup my laptop. All the apps that came with the HD run at startup. Since I only need them to run when I want to use them, I can safely disable them. Another example is the synchroniztion app I use to synch my laptop with my PDA. I no longer synch everyday, so having the app running only eats up system resources.

Lastly, take some time to Google other running processes. A good many are necessary to be active, others may be optional. You can always use the End Process button to see what happens. If the PC burps, just restart it.

Stopping these processes from starting in the first place (as opposed to ending them after they start with Task Manager) is more challenging. Sometimes applications will have a checkbox somewhere in their menus that will stop a process from loading. Other times, you have to make advanced changes to your system by editing the registry or going through Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tool>System Information (in XP), for example. I am not well-versed enough with many of these changes to make any specific recommendations.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
I really don't know a lot about this stuff but to stop programs from opening at startup, you can go to Start...run....type in msconfig....then go to the startup tab. I have XP but also used this on my prior version....unchecked anything I was sure I didn't want at startup. The ones I wasn't sure about, I left. Works great!

Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread