Low quality paint on Geekvape Zeus X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    I bought a Geekvape Zeus X tank in red & black, and while I love the performance, the paint* quality on it was awful. It started developing spots of clear stainless steel as soon as I started using it. One time I noticed a whole strip of "paint" peeling off while I was draining the tank via the top fill port. At that point I decided that it had become a health hazard and started cleaning it off. Turns out, the tank was not painted at all, but rather covered in some sort of semi-transparent red film. The engravings on the bottom of the tank and on the airflow control ring were underneath the film. I've gotten most of it off with a toothbrush and a wooden toothpick, but had to use a small knife to get the last of the film out of the recesses on the base.

Moreover, the film is a lot less grippy than the metal underneath, making it difficult to unscrew the base and the top cap. After removing the film, it has become a joy to use.

The tank's security code had been verified as authentic on Geekvape's website. While I can't fault the tank's performance, I can't recommend people buy any version that has the film on it. The bare stainless steel version should be safe.

Has anybody noticed the same issue with their Zeus X Mesh or Zeus X? I'd also like to know which versions of the tank don't have the film, I guess black should be safe, but probably not the other colors.

Last edited:

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    You should have posted this in the Geekvape forum so that Geekvape will see it and realize that other people will see it.

Pictures would have been a good idea.
    I wasn't really thinking about posterity while I was going at it with a toothbrush. Luckily, some of the film is still left in the recesses of the airflow control ring. Updated the original post with the picture.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Mordacai

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 25, 2013
    Taxachusetts
    It's that same crappy red paint they used on the red Aero/Legend kit.
    I had a bunch and the red was the only color I had a problem with.
    I had a sad when I received my red/black Zeus X RTA and found it was that same red paint.
    I'll save the red/black until it's all I have left. I have 10 X's so that will be a long time.
    I had a black/orange kit and sold it so I don't know if orange has the same issue.
    I never had problems with the paint on my Legend mods, just that red tank.
    Here's the lineup I post to FB Feb 2019. You can see the red Aero is missing half it's paint in it.
    52104984_2345956305635186_2210378775420469248_o.jpg

I have black, SS, blue & gold Zeus X's in my daily rotation since last Winter and 0 finish problems. They're anodized. I also have a gun metal on standby and that's also anodized so can't peel. I just scraped the remaining flecks off my raggedy red Aero so it'll suffice if I ever need it.

Raggedy red in May 2019. I bought it in Jan 2019, it started peeling within a month.
    daily-rotation-5-2019-jpg.913791

One more because pix are fun. This one's from last September. Top paint gone bottom almost.
    butterscotch-almost-gone-jpg.913793

Attachments

• daily rotation 5-2019.jpg
      daily rotation 5-2019.jpg
      402.1 KB · Views: 323
    • Butterscotch almost gone.jpg
      Butterscotch almost gone.jpg
      289.8 KB · Views: 320
    Last edited:

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 25, 2013
    Taxachusetts
    Has anybody noticed the same issue with their Zeus X Mesh or Zeus X? I'd also like to know which versions of the tank don't have the film, I guess black should be safe, but probably not the other colors.
    Black, Gun Metal, Gold, SS & Blue are all 100%
    The gun metal is waiting it's turn but here are my DDs right now
    5 good Xs.jpg

Gumdrops & cowboy boots on the blue one.
    Note to self: wipe off cowboy boots before shooting.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    @Ionori, it's one reason that I like Stainless Steel finish to RTA's and Tanks. As they don't have any issues with conductivity and they don't show use or wear much.

That's right. If there's no paint or other coating, then there's no way it can chip, peel or flake off.

Some people just have to have their colors but it comes with a risk.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 25, 2013
    Taxachusetts
    You should have posted this in the Geekvape forum so that Geekvape will see it and realize that other people will see it.

Pictures would have been a good idea.
    I did, back when I tried to get them to send me a replacement.
    They offered to send me a replacement but I'd pay shipping.
    Over $10 for shipping a $15 tank - NFW
    I told them they'd see my pix and their response everywhere.
    They're still in business.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 25, 2013
    Taxachusetts
    The wine red & green look like they're anodized so they might be winners too.
    The blue is darker than their online pix (like the blue Gear was) but it's OK.

I have 2 unopened SS & 2 unopened black + that gun metal & R/B so I have 11 total.

I think I'm good. I have 5+ years of Aero/Cerberus coils and over a year of Zeus mesh coils.
    When I'm done with all that I have about 10 unopened or like-new Aromamizer V2 & Supremes.

I'll be 105-110 years old by the time I get to my 5 packs of Evod coils.
    Not Protank, the original with the shorter, smaller ID chimney.

I think I'm good but yell if you find a killer sale on Zeus X RTAs.
    Black, SS or gold. NOT Red/Black.

Last edited:
    • Winner
    Reactions: ShowerHead

stabwood is good

ECF Veteran
    Oct 17, 2020
    I bought a Geekvape Zeus X tank in red & black, and while I love the performance, the paint* quality on it was awful. It started developing spots of clear stainless steel as soon as I started using it. One time I noticed a whole strip of "paint" peeling off while I was draining the tank via the top fill port. At that point I decided that it had become a health hazard and started cleaning it off. Turns out, the tank was not painted at all, but rather covered in some sort of semi-transparent red film. The engravings on the bottom of the tank and on the airflow control ring were underneath the film. I've gotten most of it off with a toothbrush and a wooden toothpick, but had to use a small knife to get the last of the film out of the recesses on the base.

Moreover, the film is a lot less grippy than the metal underneath, making it difficult to unscrew the base and the top cap. After removing the film, it has become a joy to use.

The tank's security code had been verified as authentic on Geekvape's website. While I can't fault the tank's performance, I can't recommend people buy any version that has the film on it. The bare stainless steel version should be safe.

my Zeus dual ‘paint’ came off too while I had it in a ultrasonic cleaner. And that was more than a year ago. You would think geek vape would do something about it by now.

• Useful
    Reactions: Ionori
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread