Lower power safer? New artical implies that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I don't think the article has actually been published yet, so it's impossible to comment on their methods. We don't have a clue how they set up the experiment. They might have been producing dry burn conditions for all we know.

Oh, and at least one of the authors has produced poorly designed ecig research previously (IIRC), so there's that.

Papajohns

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
LB, CA, USA
I find it very hard to believe anything that comes from NJOY. They have already shown very questionable ethics when it comes to the industry, not to mention their recent campaign to get ecigs banned in California. They are trying to make every ecig that isn't NJOY illegal, which is pretty damn sleezy, even if they are owned by Big tobacco. NJOY has shown themselves to be very much against vaping, if you're using anything other than an NJOY product. I urge everyone to avoid this company like the plague.

Farsalinos also questions what I was wondering with this: how hot - how much power - was the juice being subjected to? At a high voltage or wattage with a tank system, you're going to burn your juice. And what vaper enjoys burnt juice, anyway? I burned some juice early on while getting the hang of it, but have burned nary a microliter since, once I did get the hang of it. Inhaling burned juice is not vaping, it's simply sucking down burned juice, which nobody likes (Ok, I'm sure someone out there has a burned juice fetish, but that would be a private matter).

I've not read the study of course, but as a general principle, this gives another reason not to burn the juice, as if the foul taste wasn't reason enough. I think instances like these will also alert the PV manufacturers to fine-tune the devices. My EVOD has a 3.7v constant output rate, and there's no burning.

This is all still conjecture, and then there are issues is what the levels are at which voltage exactly, but one would think the principle would work. But what do I know? I could be wrong- I often am, as we all are (including scientists and [especially] politicians).

Also keep in mind that they were talking primarily about formaldehyde, which is but a single chemical; even in a worst case scenario, I'll trade a single chemical for dozens or hundreds or thousands of others. As a side note, acetaldehyde, which is also mentioned, is a toxin produced by the liver when metabolizing ethyl alcohol, which in large amounts apparently produces a hangover.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
AFAIU, leaking scientific results to the press before peer review is frowned upon in the scientific society.

I think that is perfectly understandable: If you don't even have the confidence to sit tight and wait until after peer review before having your fifteen minutes, it indicates that you don't even believe in your own BS.

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
Do you hold your head over a burning campfire and inhale?
Do you stick your head in the fireplace just to get a good lung hit from the roaring fire?
Do you hold your head over the frying pan, sizzling and smoking with your favorite dish (like bacon), and inhale?
Do you relish the thought of inhaling exhaust from cars, trucks and buses?
Do you hold your nose over a burning candle in the hope that you'll get a little of that burning wick?

Well, it's going to happen unintentionally with atomizers at "trace" levels that appear to be very difficult to measure, but other than that, I would hope that simple logic would dictate that you should probably inhale as little burning cotton, silica, and any other wicking material as possible. If you taste burnt material, STOP! (You're supposed to inhale the VAPOR, silly....:p)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread