The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Lowest safe resistance for an ego.

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by H4X0R, Jun 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. H4X0R

H4X0R Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 4, 2014
    NM
    Hey guys! Hope you all are doing well tonight! (It's night here where I'm at) So my question here for you beautiful people, what is the lowest resistance that's safe for an ego battery? My friend has a FireFly V2 and he's using a 2.0 ohm coil, he says it's just not giving a whole lot of vapor. Well, I use sub ohm equipment myself, and I was wondering if a 1.0 or possibly a 1.2 ohm coil is asking for trouble with an ego battery. Thanks guys!

2. Susan~S

Susan~S ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 12, 2014
    Mpls/St.Paul, MN
    Most non variable voltage ego style batteries have an amp limitation of 2A. A 1.8Ω coil is the lowest I would use on them.

Perhaps it's time your friend considered upgrading his his devise & tank.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Rickajho

Rickajho ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    If this is the eGo style Firefly v2 (there is a very different animal out there called the same thing that in no way resembles an eGo battery) then you are pushing the battery limits with anything much below 1.8 ohms. If you keep pushing the battery - and it keeps blinking and shutting itself down - eventually you will pop the protection circuit open and render the battery non-functional.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    A pre-built coil labeled 1.8 ohms will generally be between 1.6 - 2.0 ohms. Even 1.6 ohms might be pushing things a bit. 1.0 - 1.2 will either shut down the eGo or force it to lower its output so it stays within the 2A limit. If it does the latter you're not going to get anything more out of it compared to a 1.8 ohm coil. And if the eGo electronics fail in a bad way, they have been known to go boom.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Susan~S

Mar 12, 2014
    Mpls/St.Paul, MN
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Rickajho

Rickajho ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    Hi Susan! Yup - saw that too. (I see we're all working the reference desk tonight. lol) There isn't much in specs though. What we do know is that it's definitely eGo, 1000 or 900 mAh, and undoubtedly "go boom!" old school lithium ion inside there if mistreated.

Since none us directly said it: 1.0 or 1.2 ohm coil on a Firefly eGo battery? Definitely not and definitely asking for trouble.

• Like Like x 2
  7. crxess

crxess Grumpy Ole Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    I have pushed 1.7ohm with Cartos at the cost of Battery life, but 1.8ohm is the best advice. If the Vape is still to cool, likely the battery is not performing properly.

8. IMFire3605

IMFire3605 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 3, 2013
    Peoria, Arizona, US
    About the only way to get a warmer vape and more vapor and still stay within the Ego class amp limit would be a dual coil at about 1.8 to 2.0 ohms (Kanger Mini Protank 3/Aero Tank Mini Era), lowest and be pushing the absolute limit would be a 1.6. They just don't have the oomph to do it right. If they are wanting to stay in a small form factor and be able to push more vapor, a Mini Volt, Nugget, maybe even a VPark, heck even an iStick30w or 40wTC is a lot more capable. Still wants an Ego class, up them to an Ego Twist, Vision Spinner V2, or even in Eleaf iTwist.

9. H4X0R

Jul 4, 2014
    NM
    Alright! Thanks for the replies. So to be safe, 1.8 would be the lowest? I may just convince him to get a better device capable of lower resistance. Thanks guys! And while we're all here and active, could somebody explain to me how a batteries limits can be tested? This is a side question, but I been wanting to get me an RX200, but I have little knowledge in how the batteries work, it understand it takes 3 18650's, but how do you calculate it's limits? Thanks! Probably easier to link me an in depth read here on the forums!

10. Foggy Road

Foggy Road Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    Do not go below 1.8 on an ego. Increasing airflow by drilling out the airholes on the tank would increase vapor production.
    I use ego and Evod VV batteries on their lowest settings... Ego is 3.3 volt Evod is 3.5 volt. Using 2.4 ohm nr-r-nr coils I get all the vapor I want with standard airflow. If your friend needs more he'll need to upgrade equipment.

11. Susan~S

Mar 12, 2014
    Mpls/St.Paul, MN
    Yes, 1.8Ω would be the lowest.
    READ => Calculating Battery Current Draw for a Regulated Mod

There are only a few battery manufacturers in the world who make their own "cells", including LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic & Sanyo.

All the other brands on the market buy the second and third tier cells from those manufacturers and re-wrap them under their own brand. These are "second and/or third tier cells" which did not meet the higher standards of the original manufacturer. In order to compete with the original manufacturers' batteries (first tier), these other companies feel obligated to publish specifications which are inflated to make them appear superior to those of the original manufacturer.

Do your research before you buy. Decide what battery to buy depending upon the application that you will use them. @Mooch has done independent testing of many of the batteries available to use; look for the results for the top batteries you are interested in in his blog.

[​IMG]

BATTERIES - WHERE TO BUY

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.

• Like Like x 3
  12. H4X0R

Jul 4, 2014
    NM
    Thanks! So I did a quick read here, tell me if this is correct. Let's say I'm running an RX200 at 100w. It would be 100w÷3(number of batteries) which gives 33.33333 (amount of watts per battery) which you then divide by the batteries minimum voltage (3.2 let's say) and that gives the amp pull for each battery? (10 amps per battery in this case) Here's a screenshot of that math. Do correct me if I have something off here.

[​IMG]

Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  13. IMFire3605

May 3, 2013
    Peoria, Arizona, US
    Yes, that is the correct ending figure

100/9.6 (3.2x3)=10.4166666666

Even more throroughly accurate adding in mod efficiency here 95%
    100/9.6=10.416666666/0.95=10.96491228070175

• Like Like x 1
  14. H4X0R

Jul 4, 2014
    NM
    Where does the coils resistance come into play here? I'm using an unregulated device and it's much much different than a regulated one. For an unregulated device, the coil determines how many watts and amps the device fires at, so for a regulated device, where does the coils resistance come into play?

15. IMFire3605

May 3, 2013
    Peoria, Arizona, US
    Thought your post mentioned an RX200, which is a regulated device? Regulated devices, coil resistance comes only into play as to what the lowest the chipset will fire, ie a Sigelei 150, 0.1ohm minimum it will fire, but not a 0.05ohm. With a mechanical/unregulated voltage/resistance (ohms)=amps, regulated it is Watts/lowest battery charge=amps.

• Like Like x 1
  16. H4X0R

Jul 4, 2014
    NM
    Yes you are right, I did mention the RX200. I want to get one, I'm currently using an unregulated device so getting used to a regulated one has been a bit of a challenge to me lol I'm using a Tesla Two Sub Mod, and want to switch to an RX200. So the resistance hardly matters with an RX200? So long as the mod can fire it? Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.