Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2010
kansas
Okay i got some LR 306 attys from goodprophets, and iv used them for about 2 weeks, today I took a hit off my ego and put it in my case i have i started smelling something funny and smoke or vapor started comming out of the case, the atomizer was red hot and the battery would not shut off, so we took the atomizer off while it was still hot and he tested the battery and come to find out the chip inside that regulates everything burnt up, thinking that this was just a fluke, i put it on another battery, that one ended up not shutting off at all and he tried to take it apart and it started to sizzle, he ended up heaving it out in the street where it started smoking. Anyone else have any idea why this happend. Understanding electronics, baisically it running way to hot for the chip to handle. But i was under the assumption that these atomizers were safe to use with a Ego. Has anyone else had the problem. This is a serious issue someone could get hurt.

silkakc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2010
Canandaigua, NY
Zoey,

Some vendors have it stated on their sites to not use the LR attys with the Rivas/Egos. If the ohms drop past a certain point, they can fry something inside of them. I think below 1.5 ohms is the danger zone. Sometimes as attys die, their ohms can go low or high while they are dying a slow death. Maybe get a voltage meter if you want to keep using them!
I didn't like the idea of those LR's shorter life so I stuck with regular attys and got the variable voltage Infinity mod. Using reg attys at 4.3 volts tastes just like a LR atty on a Ego/Riva! Tons of warm vapor on a 3 second puff:)

Lori

Zoey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2010
kansas
My husband tested the ohms of the culprit atty it was 1.2 ohms......the others registered 1.8. I think I will trade these for regular attys or a 5v passthrough for now since i am short on cash. that is a shame i really like them....but i cant bear the expense of them shredding batteries like that, so i will get me a 5v device soon. thanks everyone.

Penner

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
USA
Yes its happened to me twice with the eGo-T LR attys - both in less than 1 week. And, to watch it start billowing smoke out all openings like that is a bit frightening actually. I was using them on a pretty big battery, an eGo 1000 mah too, so the battery should have handled a LR atty that was normal.

I am not happy, $20 down the drain. I have a Buzz, but its too big to carry around in your pocket, I don't really use it much.

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
I've had this happen with regular atties, too, although not with the same level of pyrotechnics. I did the same thing and tried the atty on two batteries and fried them both. Won't do that again... I've been using LR atties on eGos and Rivas non-stop for over a year and have yet to have one of those go bad, though.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
.....I was using them on a pretty big battery, an eGo 1000 mah too, so the battery should have handled a LR atty that was normal........

This is a common misconception, increased mah is increased length of time the charge will last. It doesn't increase the amperage that the battery can supply. An ego at 3.2V and an atty at 1.2 ohms (manufacturer variances even not just age) is looking to draw over 2.6 amps. The MOSFET (electronics inside that puppy) can't handle the amperage and lets go of the magic smoke inside that makes it work. :)

A solid 14500 or 18650 battery mod has the power to handle the amperage
if you don't skimp on the battery quality.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Guys the trick is not chain vaping with Ego & LR's and getting the Mosfet connection to hot.! I have been using LR Attys on EGO/Riva type Batts ever since they came out, I must have 30 of them, I smoked only 2 since they came out and it was before I know this trick. You need to give them a rest in between vapes so it doesn't get so hot and fry the connection from the button to the Batt connector, that's where it goes bad, take a few vapes and rest it, the vape some more instead of constant vaping and your Ego/Riva Batts will last longer.

And of course a bigger Batt especially an IMR will work best on LR

Penner

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
USA
Guys, thanks for the clues to this non-electronics person, but I have no idea what you all are talking about :)

Please explain & give some names / examples / vendors I could purchase personal vaporizers from, with these suggestions you gave ...

"A solid 14500 or 18650 battery mod"

"a bigger Batt especially an IMR will work best on LR"

Also, please define the acronyms you use - I am very new to this field, & not a person who will ever be creating a mod. Thanks!

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
"A solid 14500 or 18650 battery mod"

"a bigger Batt especially an IMR will work best on LR" Also, please define the acronyms you use

MadVapes has the RoughStack V2 or ProVape PV1 both are nice mods. There is an almost endless supply of different styles, power available, you can get some idea of what's out there and at what prices here"
Best e-Cig Mod List | e-Cig Mods Database

IMR = type of battery that is a "high drain", lets go of the stored power fast to power up your carto :)

kevinb83

Jan 11, 2011
VA
just recently had this happen on the road. driving. smell a funny smell as i pass a car stranded with the driver outside. tried to take another puff, couldnt. battery dead. put the atty on my other batt (both rivas), and fired it up. instant stench and ligth flashes then dies. very not happy about that. one atty destroyed 2 batts. out of a lot of money there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread