LR / HV - Model Suggestions and nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

throatkick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
FL
Hi. Ex maniacal smoker here. The Leo has managed to keep me very comfortably away from analogs :) I am however, going through juice like it is water and that is because I am always looking for that perfect (super extra duty) TH.

What LR/HV devices are out there that can accommodate this need with relative ease?
In other words, not having to charge the battery every 2-3 hours. Do these have some kind of a passthrough as well?

In any case, the KR8 batteries barely last 30 minutes. I would need about 6-7 of those to
have one fully charged at all times. You get the idea......

Nicotine........
Is there any correlation between that and analogs? For example if I put 10 drops of 24mg juice in and vaped for 2 hours, what would be the analog equivalent in number of cigarettes smoked? I realize this will have to be an approximation.......

Thanks in advance for your time.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
It sounds like you would be looking for a mod really. The "fat batts" like the Leo are a big improvement on the regular "cigarette like" e-cigs that most start with. But they have their limits. If it's within budget, my first suggestion would be a ProVari by Provape. The extension to allow you to use 18650 batteries will give extra battery life. The recommended AW LiMn 1600mah batteries should work well. The advantage to this device (and other variable volt mods) is that allows you to dial in with some precision the voltage (and hence the heat the atty's produce) giving you a lot of control and scope to "tune" the vape on any given atomizer. That may be the best route to take if you are very particular about "throat hit".

There are other variable volt mods - for example the Buzz and Infiniti from Notcigs.

For me, my current favoured device is the Phidias Woodimus Feedimus ("Woody"). This is not variable voltage but uses a 18650 battery that lasts me most of the day, and a 3ml juice feeder bottle (feeding juice into the atomizer through the hole in the bottom of the atty). This works well and seems to give a more consistent hit even than direct dripping, and is certainly less messy and more convenient. Carts are effectively obsolete with this. With an LR 306 atty it gives an immense hit, so much so that I've found I can more than get by with a regular Joye 510 atty due to the more consistent juice delivery. Mods with this feature include the Ali'i, the Reo Grand and the Integrity.

A good source of info on mods and their various features can be found here - Best e-Cig Mod List | e-Cig Mods Database

Nicotine correlation between e-cigs and cigarettes is a difficult area to comment on. The absorption rate from e-cigs is not really known, although there have been some studies. Meanwhile cigarettes generally use additives (such as ammonia) to increase the 'nicotine hit' beyond their apparent nicotine levels. Ammonia is one additive in cigarettes that increases the level of freebase nicotine available - which very rapidly goes to the brain, producing the responses we like when smoking. Personally, I've found my own level quite effectively. Too much, and I start to get a headache, which means I need to back off. It may be that with e-cigs your overall nicotine intake *could* increase. My personal opinion is that the lack of tars, carbon monoxide and other toxins associated with smoking tobacco is a bigger upside than the potential increase in nicotine intake. Obviously this is just personal opinion.

Last edited:

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Other than upping your nicotine level, increasing the power of the device is the best way to increase TH (and vapor). Papa has pointed to the two ways to do this:

1. Increase the voltage with a 5V or 6V mod or (to provide optimum flexibility) with variable voltage mods such as those Papa mentions. I describe those and others in this post of my Wonderful World of Mods, kind of a narrative counterpart to ViZi's excellent database linked above.

2. Decrease the resistance with LR atomizers, such as the LR 306 that Papa mentions. But the 306 is only one example; most atomizers these days have LR versions: e.g., 510, 901, and 801. I talk more about LR (and "HV" atomizers for use on high voltage mods) in this article.​

The Leo (which I also love) is so new that there is only one version of the atty ... it is not compatible with anything else ... and there are not (yet) any adapters to use it on HV or VV mods. But it is an example of the penstyle (aka "801") atomizer, which you might like. LR 801 atomizers include: 2.0 ohm and 2.5 ohm from IkenVape (great prices), 1.6 ohm ("EM LR 801") from Vapor Junction (good price), 1.5 ohm from NHaler (and, I am sure, elsewhere), and unspecified ohms from LiteCigUSA (good price). These, of course, must be used with a 450+ mAh fat batt or mod (and only at 3.7V or less).

And regular resistance versions of penstyle atomizers (e.g., DSE801, Joye 302, BE112, RN4072) can be used on the previously mentioned 5V and variable voltage mods. My two favorites (other than the Leo) are the Joye 302 and East Mall's version of the DSE801 (also available from Vapor Junction here in the states).

Those juice-fed mods Papa mentioned provide a convenient and effective alternative method of delivering e-liquid to the atomizer. [Most cartridges are mediocre at this. Dripping works well, but can get to be a pain and often is inconvenient, e.g., when driving.] However, they do not, per se, increase the intensity of the vape. Using them with LR atomizers will, as will getting the 5V, 6V, or VV options available for many of them. I describe these juice-fed mods in this post of that Mods guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread