Lungs, Emphysema and breathing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Nicotine does have a slightly fishy/ammonia taste. I sometimes catch this on the exhale with unflavored juice. Also a black papper-like tingle. These tastes I think depend on how thick the juice is. TW 36 mg uses more PG and a little water, and I get that peppery feel from it. VT Vapor 35 mg using just VG is much less. Both unflavored juices will give a very slight fish taste.

If you have every used nicatrol inhaler, those cartridges give an almost strong fishy flavor from nic. I think they may be flavoring those now, worthless as they are...

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Nicotine does have a slightly fishy/ammonia taste. I sometimes catch this on the exhale with unflavored juice. Also a black papper-like tingle. These tastes I think depend on how thick the juice is. TW 36 mg uses more PG and a little water, and I get that peppery feel from it. VT Vapor 35 mg using just VG is much less. Both unflavored juices will give a very slight fish taste.

If you have every used nicatrol inhaler, those cartridges give an almost strong fishy flavor from nic. I think they may be flavoring those now, worthless as they are...

I know exactly what you are talking about and I agree. The juices I have don't taste anything like this. They are absolutely horrid. I should be getting my flavorings today and I'll be one HappyVaper2.

xeir

Oct 18, 2009
Denver, Colorado
Well, been using my PV for the past 6 days, no analogs and here's what I've noticed:

1. Feel better in general.
2. Breathe more deeply yet chest has been tight off and on. Think it is due to either nic level or the PG. Using VG no-nic so far doesn't seem to have the same effect on the chest.
3. Haven't even had a craving for an analog, gotta love that.
4. Coughing on occasion, due to dryness and/or phlegm build-up, nothing nasty has yet be expelled. Which I think is weird, seeing as any other time I have stopped smoking in the past, I would cough up some nasty stuff for a few days.

Considering I have asthma, allergies, been smoking for 23 years about a half pack to a pack a day.

The nic is in a base of PG ranging from 18 to 36 in strength and I have been dripping with them straight or cutting those down to about half using VG.

In either case, so far, it has been WELL worth it!

Last edited:

Chasm

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Michigan
I'm wondering if the improvements in breathing and/or lung function that so many have mentioned in here are a direct result of vaping or just because you've stopped (or significantly cut back) analogs? I mean obviously stopping (or reducing) smoking will be beneficial, but do any of you feel like your improvements can at least be partially attributed to the vaping?

I guess the best way to gauge it would be if someone had quit/cut back analogs for a period of time once before, without vaping, and was quit/cut back again now with vaping. Anyone here fall into that category? If so, is there a noticeable difference in how you felt when comparing one to the other?

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread a bit, samy, but I've been following along with great interest and this seemed like the best place to ask this. And I can't wait to read your next update :)

The only time I ever actually cut back significantly was 30 years ago when I went cold turkey for 30 days. I don't recall that I noticed anything like the very significant (and noticeable almost immediately) improvemnts I've seen over the last 5 weeks.

Of course, 30 years ago:
1. I hadn't done nearly as much damage to myself and

2. the nicotine craving was strong enough to overwhelm any increase in my sense of well-being.

flrailroader

Nov 2, 2009
florida
all i can say is WOW.I have smoked for almost 30 years 2 packs a day.I really never wanted to quit smoking but knew i had to.Used 2 inhalers every day.quit .... logs 3 days ago when i finally got all the pieces together. sb, 510 atty ,and juice.I have not even wanted an analog since.In 3 days my lungs feel better than i can remember,so good i'm going to stop the inhalers tomorrow just to see how i feel.I really don't think i need them anymore my lungs feel that good:)

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
all i can say is WOW.I have smoked for almost 30 years 2 packs a day.I really never wanted to quit smoking but knew i had to.Used 2 inhalers every day.quit .... logs 3 days ago when i finally got all the pieces together. sb, 510 atty ,and juice.I have not even wanted an analog since.In 3 days my lungs feel better than i can remember,so good i'm going to stop the inhalers tomorrow just to see how i feel.I really don't think i need them anymore my lungs feel that good:)

That's impressive. More good stories. Sure is nice to hear. Can I ask what the inhalers are for? And how many do you use?

I haven't quit the analogs yet, although I cut down significantly. Wasn't able to get any nic juices. I finally got some and just got some flavorings. Haven't even had time to try them all yet. Having a hard time finding something I really like. The first batch of juices I got from China and they were terrible. They all had a very bad taste. Not many suppliers here in Canada and it's difficult to get US companies to ship here. Sure hope I can find something I like.

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
I got asthma prolly about 20 years ago. Immediately after using a nasal spray NRT out of curiosity Nicorette I think it was.
Had years and years of using PG Ventolin and Seretide inhalers regularly (Is PG safe - oh yes I think so!) + three or four episodes needing prednisolone tablets. Gave up the inhalers on GP advice shortly after starting vaping. Not needed any more. Peak flow fine and considerably higher.
Tapered off over one week and never noticed it. Still keep them there but only in case of need.

Since vaping have used the inhalers for three days only - think it was mould spores from the cellar gave me a slight feeling of tight chest.

Only been vaping eight months but so far so good.

C.

Last edited:

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Good news. I have emphasema and I noticed from day one that most of the usual flem was gone. I still have to use my puffers, but I breath much better in general. I don't have to wake up at night and use my puffer like I had to before. There definitely is an improvement. I'm hoping it will be even better once I get off the analogs altogether. Once I find some descent juice to vape. Haven't had much luck with that yet.

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Good news. I have emphasema and I noticed from day one that most of the usual flem was gone. I still have to use my puffers, but I breath much better in general. I don't have to wake up at night and use my puffer like I had to before. There definitely is an improvement. I'm hoping it will be even better once I get off the analogs altogether. Once I find some descent juice to vape. Haven't had much luck with that yet.

Use the peak flow meter Samysam - chart the improvement day to day. Dunno about the juice - it's really a personal trial and error thing. I use zero VG and colourless flavourart flavouring and also various nic juices with a lot of changes depending on the tastebuds and the sinuses. Right now on Dekang Black Tea and Janty Cappuccino. Two days ago on Ecopure VG. I find a lot of changes a good thing. If I settle to a long stint of PG vaping I feel sickly. Also I use a portion of snus now and then when I feel I may be vaping too constantly. Gives the sinuses a break. It's all good as long as it's not smoke.

C.

flrailroader

Nov 2, 2009
florida
Hi samysam I use Advair twice a day and Proair HFA albuteral inhaler when i need it.I have been using the Advair almost 3 years and albuteral type inhalers for a loooong time.I used them to control athsma and a 2 pack a day analog habit.Since sat. i have only used the advair , today i going to try not using anything.I must point out I i have never had a serious athsma problems , I know what that is because my brother has athsma and quit smoking years ago.My athsma was far less severe than his but it really helped me to continue my smoking habit.One other thing i think that helped me was moving from the cold weather in Ontario to Florida 7 years ago.I know all about those cold Canadian winters.good luck best wishes

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Hi samysam I use Advair twice a day and Proair HFA albuteral inhaler when i need it.I have been using the Advair almost 3 years and albuteral type inhalers for a loooong time.I used them to control athsma and a 2 pack a day analog habit.Since sat. i have only used the advair , today i going to try not using anything.I must point out I i have never had a serious athsma problems , I know what that is because my brother has athsma and quit smoking years ago.My athsma was far less severe than his but it really helped me to continue my smoking habit.One other thing i think that helped me was moving from the cold weather in Ontario to Florida 7 years ago.I know all about those cold Canadian winters.good luck best wishes

Ah! So you're from Ont. What part? That's where I am. I'm in Cambridge, but lived in Brampton 12 yrs. ago. You lucky dog. LOL. I always wished I could live in Florida. Have friends in Springhill. I'm better in summer. In winter there's all this dust and junk that comes out of the heating ducts and I really notice the difference. It's worse. There's years of dust in those ducts. My mother uses Advair. I think your albuteral is probably same as my salbultomal. It's a bronchial dilater. Use 4 x's a day. Plus I use Spiriva once a day and Pulmicort twice a day. They are allowing me to keep smoking sort of. I can't inhale anymore, but can't kick it. I'm really hoping this ecig thing will be my answer. Had trouble getting nic juice and when I finally got some it was so bad I couldn't use it. Now I have some nic PG & VG and just got some flavourings. Haven't found one I really like enough to vape all day. A couple I like, but they're not an all day vape. Cool Mint is good though so that may end up being my regular flavour. I still have some I haven't tried yet. Takes a while to go through them since I have to clean my attys with each one and they take a long time to dry. Only now, I'm getting a metal taste in my mouth when I vape and I can't get rid of it. Don't know why. Figure it must be the attys. Wonder if anyone else has experienced this metal taste. If it's not one thing, it's another. I hate Winter with a passion. I'm a summer gal. Best wishes to you too flrailroader. I take it that you work in railroad in Fla.

flrailroader

Nov 2, 2009
florida
Samysam I lived in Ontario for 29 years mostly in Brampton and yes were starting into the best season of the year love it here, i work as a conductor for csx so i spend all my time outdoors and on locomotives and couldn't be happier.I just started e-cigs last week and tried several juices from altsmoke and nhaler.So far i like the highvoltage drewbacco the best.I have more orders from nhaler and china on the way.I can't wait for them to arrive so i can get my wife off analogs.I can tell you she is happy not to have to listen to me wheese all night long anymore .Well i know winter is just starting for you hopefully it is a short mild one.

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Samysam I lived in Ontario for 29 years mostly in Brampton and yes were starting into the best season of the year love it here, i work as a conductor for csx so i spend all my time outdoors and on locomotives and couldn't be happier.I just started e-cigs last week and tried several juices from altsmoke and nhaler.So far i like the highvoltage drewbacco the best.I have more orders from nhaler and china on the way.I can't wait for them to arrive so i can get my wife off analogs.I can tell you she is happy not to have to listen to me wheese all night long anymore .Well i know winter is just starting for you hopefully it is a short mild one.

Small world. You lived in Brampton too. Where in Fla are you? Can I come visit? LOL. Just kidding. You're also luckier for the eliquids. There are a lot more suppliers in the US than here. I haven't had much luck finding something I like yet and it's getting expensive. Glad you like your job. Not too many people can say that now a days. I wish winter would disappear forever. I like being outside, but not when it's cold. All that scraping the ice and snow off the car and waiting for it to warm up. And the coats and boots. And the cost of heating. It gets dark so early. Everything is bare and ugly white. Dirty snow. I could go on. I spend all year waiting for summer and then it's gone in a flash. This year we got giped. We didn't even get a real summer. 72 in July is not summer. If I ever win the lottery, this is one gal who's going to spend her winters in Fla. That's for sure.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
What do you call the peak flow meter?

A peak flow meter is an inexpensive, portable, handheld device for those with asthma that is used to measure how well air moves out of your lungs. Measuring your peak flow using this meter is an important part of managing your asthma symptoms and preventing an asthma attack.

The peak flow meter works by measuring how fast air comes out of the lungs when you exhale forcefully after inhaling fully. This measure is called a "peak expiratory flow," or "PEF." Keeping track of your PEF, is one way you can know if your symptoms of asthma are in control or worsening.
Using a Peak Flow Meter to Manage Asthma

Prices range from less than $20 to well over $100.

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
A peak flow meter is an inexpensive, portable, handheld device for those with asthma that is used to measure how well air moves out of your lungs. Measuring your peak flow using this meter is an important part of managing your asthma symptoms and preventing an asthma attack.

The peak flow meter works by measuring how fast air comes out of the lungs when you exhale forcefully after inhaling fully. This measure is called a "peak expiratory flow," or "PEF." Keeping track of your PEF, is one way you can know if your symptoms of asthma are in control or worsening.

Using a Peak Flow Meter to Manage Asthma

Prices range from less than $20 to well over $100.

Thanks for that info. I never heard of them. Don't know if they're available here in Canada. My mother has had asthma and now COPD for years and we were never even told of these. I'm going to ask my doc or pharmacist if they have them.

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Thanks for that info. I never heard of them. Don't know if they're available here in Canada. My mother has had asthma and now COPD for years and we were never even told of these. I'm going to ask my doc or pharmacist if they have them.

Mine is literally a cardboard tube with plastic mouthpiece - they should be really cheap to get. There is a small learning curve for puffing into it - a short sharp puff - best done standing up I think. But it really is useful to see if things are getting better or not. Like knowing your ordinary Blood Pressure ranges - it is useful to know what your ordinary readings are like.

Keep us posted.

Best,

C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread