m401 atty and high voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kemuri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2009
out of town
Does anyone use and m401 atty with a high voltage mod?

Very few mods seem to come with adapters for the m401, I'm wondering why that is?

Also, when using the stock USB passthru, is that running at 5 volts, or does the passthru device step things down to 3.7?

I do the 401@5v from time to time on a Nicobox. I like it but I'm dripping into a hollowed out mouthpiece without the inner cartridge. One caveat--the particular 401 I'm using right now is not the Smoore M401. The real M401 has a rounded bridge while the knockoff like my present one has a pointy bridge of around 30 degrees. Kind of surprised at the long life of the knockoff.

The off the shelf USB passthrough for the 401 actually charges the tiny battery in the unit and you're vaping off the battery and not directly from the USB. So you're not getting 5v, more like 3.7v or lower. But the PT will give you a more consistent voltage compared to the 401 battery.

Raenon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
The off the shelf USB passthrough for the 401 actually charges the tiny battery in the unit and you're vaping off the battery and not directly from the USB. So you're not getting 5v, more like 3.7v or lower. But the PT will give you a more consistent voltage compared to the 401 battery.

I've not seen anyone pop open a genuine smoore passthrough, but I'd be really surprised if this is true- the darn thing is just way too light for me to assume there is a battery in that tube.

Do you have a source for this? I'd rather not dissect mine, obviously lol

kemuri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2009
out of town
Know what? You guys might be right. Just did a quick and dirty weight test (the palm of my hands are high tech lol) and the PT "battery" might be an empty shell with minimum circuitry just for the LED. A 401 manual batt feels slightly heavier.

When it dies I'll do an autopsy unless there's some pix floating around already.

If the 401 PT is connected to a 120 AC 5v usb unit rated at 1A each usb port (comes with 2 ports), how many V's am I actually getting from the PT? Unless there's circuity in the PT apart from the one for the LED.

ok, just connected the multimeter to it and blew on the LED end of the PT. I'm getting 3.37-3.4V measurements.

Guineahill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2009
King George Virginia USA
If there isn't a battery... and there isn't a limiting regulator then you would be getting 5 volts. I haven't disassembled one so I don't know if there is a regulator but I'm sure there isn't a battery in it.

I could test it if I could figure out how to activate the auto switch while holding the probes of my multimeter to the connections!

;)

kemuri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2009
out of town
If there isn't a battery... and there isn't a limiting regulator then you would be getting 5 volts. I haven't disassembled one so I don't know if there is a regulator but I'm sure there isn't a battery in it.

I could test it if I could figure out how to activate the auto switch while holding the probes of my multimeter to the connections!

;)

Unless my multimeter or the user was whacked, I did get a reading of up to 3.4V as I posted above. Not sure if the ;) in your post is signaling I screwed up the procedure, but activation on the automatic passthrough was done by blowing on the LED end while having one probe on the middle and the other on the thread of the PT connection.

Pity that a post doesn't really convey the tone of myvoice. I'm not ...... or irritated, just curious now.

Guineahill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2009
King George Virginia USA
LOL - No! Not indicating you screwed up!!! I simply was making a fool of myself all by myself trying to hold the probes and activate the battery. Eventually I was laughing at myself so hard I just gave up. (There is a mirror to the side of my desk and I caught a glimpse of myself and it was all over!)

:)

Meat

Feb 17, 2010
Canada
I too would like to know if there's a way to run the 401 on high voltage, and whether the attys can handle it. All the mods seem to be for the 510 attys, which I'm really starting to dislike.

The m401 was my first e-cig. I didn't truly appreciate how good these designs are for dripping and consistency until I just got my 510.

With the 401, I just drip until the atty is full. If I add too much then it just drips onto the table. Then I pop the cart back on and puff until it's empty again, then repeat. I had no idea why people on these forums complained about flooding attys. It just cant happen with a 401.

The 510 by comparison is a nightmare. You have to hold it upside-down with great care when dripping... one drop too many and you flood it, or get stuff all over the inside of the atty. Then whenever I remove the cart to drip again, there's juice all over the outside of the cart.

If the 401 could just burn through the juice a little quicker, or at higher voltages, I think it would be my ultimate e-cig

bluesuede

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
Central PA, USA
Most of my 401 have been autos. I liked them because they really do feel like an analog because you can hold it in your hand the same way. But... I finally gave in and ordered some manual 401 bats and I find I like them a whole lot better than the autos mainly because you can heat the atty before inhaling so no need for a primer puff.

I wish the 401 PT had a manual version. I have lost a couple of PTs that decided to stay on and kinda melted the whole thing before I had a chance to pull the plug.

I mainly dip as you really can't get too much or too little juice that way but along with dipping I also make sure I have a moist cart. Double guarantee for good vapor. :p For the car I just load up several carts and switch them when needed. Dipping/dripping is not a good idea while driving. :D

Last edited:

Meat

Feb 17, 2010
Canada
I mainly dip as you really can't get too much or too little juice that way but along with dipping I also make sure I have a moist cart. Double guarantee for good vapor. :p For the car I just load up several carts and switch them when needed. Dipping/dripping is not a good idea while driving. :D

All I need is a red light :)

I used to be able to roll-my-own ciggarettes one handed while driving so I'm sure we can figure out something similar for e-cigs.

mvc

Jan 26, 2010
Canada
I wish the 401 PT had a manual version. I have lost a couple of PTs that decided to stay on and kinda melted the whole thing before I had a chance to pull the plug.
I believe I have seen manual PT for 401 - cannot remember the site it was on, but if you want, just do a good search - it should come out.

As for the voltage mentioned above, I checked mine - exactly same 3.25v! I thought it should be more like 3.7v-4v, since a newly charged battery is said to give this voltage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread