M402 Tastes awful. Am I doing something wrong here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2009
A little background: I've been smoking Camel Wides / Kamel Reds daily for the past 16 - 17 years.

I settled on the M402 for now from LiteCig (awesome price and service, by the way). So, I've got the M402, some pre-filled carts, some blank carts, a bunch of different liquids... I should be good to go.

I charged my batteries overnight, and tried one of the Marlb carts that came with the kit. It was terrible, but I figured it would be. So I drained my atty by keeping it upside down on a paper towel and rolling it every couple minutes until it stopped getting the towel wet. THEN, I rinsed out the atty, dried it off, and let it sit overnight.

The next day came, and I tried Camel juice on an empty cart. It tasted the same. Went through another cleaning ritual, and tried Ry2. Again, basically the same. I'll note here that vapor production isn't a problem at all. I'm definitely getting a decent amount of vapor.

I decided to go with flavors. Cola tasted basically the same. Melon... well, melon actually had a different flavor to it, but the vapor was incredibly harsh. (And again, I'm smoking Kamel Red every day, so it isn't like I don't enjoy a strong smoke)

So, I'm trying to figure out what's up here. My atty smells like nutty chemical death, even after washing it out. But then... that's pretty much what my liquids smell like.

Should I try a new atty, new liquids, a different model, or should I simply accept that this is what vaping tastes like, and it just isn't for me?

RazorNribbonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Trapped within my imagination
Hi Twinkie, reading over your cleaning routine.. I don't know if you forgot to mention it or hadn't done it..But, you didn't mention blowing the primer fluid out of your atomizer ( only draining it) If you havent...First thing, always blow the primer fluid out... Blow into the battery end of your atomizer - holding a paper towel at the other end to catch the fluid.. Blow several times untill nothing comes out on the towel...

And when I read this> "Melon... well, melon actually had a different flavor to it, but the vapor was incredibly harsh.".....Because it became "increasingly" harsh..That leads me to believe you may need to top off your cart ( till it looks very moist but not pooling)..For a quick test to see if it's your cart or your atty that's tasting bad...Pull the mouthpiece/cart off your atomizer..Drip one or two drops straight on the bridge of the atomizer and vape straight from that.. If it taste fine..Then Its probably your cart...

(edit: I read that wrong..I thought you said it became "increasingly" harsh..You said "incredibly" harsh)...What mg is it?..If it's high..You may need to just drop the strength level too..

And no, don't give up yet...Some of my atomiers have taken 1-4 days to break in... I'd drip on the atomizer and vape (without inhaling) a handful of times to make it go faster...

Taste is very subjective ...My husband smokes camel light wides... He says all the tobacoo flavors taste like sweet pipe tobacoo to him except Cubin Cigar..You might give it a shot....He'll vape that....It doesn't seem to have the nutty/sweet taste that most of the tobacco flavs have...I like it mixed half and half with a lot of my tobacco flavs.... You can graduate up to more flav as you become used to it lol...Good luck

Note: Kent as well as some of the Marlboro e-liquids ( not the premade carts) Are just mildly sweet..If you like the sweet/carmel/nutty undertone..Then Tennessee cured is for you.

Last edited:

Twinkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2009
If you have menthol try it if it is still bad change your atty. I hate anything I have tried besides JC Tennesee cured or menthol. :D
I don't have menthol, and I've been pretty curious about the JC liquids. I just haven't broken down and gone for the sampler pack yet.

Hi Twinkie, reading over your cleaning routine.. I don't know if you forgot to mention it or hadn't done it..But, you didn't mention blowing the primer fluid out of your atomizer ( only draining it) If you havent...First thing, always blow the primer fluid out... Blow into the battery end of your atomizer - holding a paper towel at the other end to catch the fluid.. Blow several times untill nothing comes out on the towel...
Hmm... I did this after I had been using it for a little while, to change flavors. But, I didn't do this initially, when the atomizer was new.

And when I read this> "Melon... well, melon actually had a different flavor to it, but the vapor was incredibly harsh.".....Because it became "increasingly" harsh..That leads me to believe you may need to top off your cart ( till it looks very moist but not pooling)..For a quick test to see if it's your cart or your atty that's tasting bad...Pull the mouthpiece/cart off your atomizer..Drip one or two drops straight on the bridge of the atomizer and vape straight from that.. If it taste fine..Then Its probably your cart...
I was actually dripping with the melon liquid, so now I'm starting to suspect the atomizer even more.

(edit: I read that wrong..I thought you said it became "increasingly" harsh..You said "incredibly" harsh)...What mg is it?..If it's high..You may need to just drop the strength level too..
I thought about that possibility. I've been using 24mg mostly, because I've been a pack-a-day smoker of relatively strong cigarettes.

I also considered the possibility that it's the PG that's getting to me (though I've never suspected being allergic to it). So I ended up ordering some VG melon liquid -- same strength, same vendor -- to see if that's part of the problem.

And no, don't give up yet...Some of my atomiers have taken 1-4 days to break in... I'd drip on the atomizer and vape (without inhaling) a handful of times to make it go faster...
It's getting a bit better, but now I'm becoming concerned about having to spend days breaking in a new one once my current one bites the dust.

For this reason alone, I'm giving very serious consideration to getting myself an Evo. Based on everything I've heard, their atomizers last a really long time.

Taste is very subjective ...My husband smokes camel light wides... He says all the tobacoo flavors taste like sweet pipe tobacoo to him except Cubin Cigar..You might give it a shot....He'll vape that....It doesn't seem to have the nutty/sweet taste that most of the tobacco flavs have...I like it mixed half and half with a lot of my tobacco flavs.... You can graduate up to more flav as you become used to it lol...Good luck
I added cigar flavored liquid to that melon order I mentioned. Thanks for that tip! :D

Twinkie, it gets better. I absolutely hated the taste when I got my 402 which was my first PV. It took my atomisers about a week to clear the primer...even with cleaning/blowing them out. After that the taste was much better.

Hang in there and give it some more time and definitely keep trying different liquids/flavors until you find one you like. The juices are so much better than the prefilled carts when it comes to taste.

Once the primer is gone and you can really compare flavors, try not to expect to find a taste that replaces your analogs. You won't do it and you'll be disappointed. Nothing tastes exactly like an analog.

Don't dump the juices you don't like now. In a few weeks, you may like them. I found going back to ones I didn't like the first few days that I like some of them now.

If all else fails, try a different model, but definitely don't give up quitting the analogs. Good luck!

Twinkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2009
Well...

I decided to take a day off from trying. I cleaned out the atomizer, blew it out, and let it sit on a paper towel overnight.

I just tried dripping some Hilton from LiteCig USA, and I gotta say, this isn't bad at all. I'm still getting a hint of melon, but the overall flavor is pretty darn close to a cigarette.

It isn't perfect, and I may find myself liking the flavors, but this is much closer to what I was expecting.

For what it's worth, I bought just about every non-PG flavor NuVape had in stock, and broke down and bought an Evo with Regular and Rich EcoPure juices and carts. (And if there's interest, I'll write up a review comparing the M402 to the black Evo)

So, I'm pretty well convinced that it was the primer and lack of cleaning that was making everything taste so bad the first couple days. Now.. if only there was a sure-fire way to get rid of the primer from day one ;)

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
I'd really suspect the primer on the atty. After a few days things should get better. And don't worry too much about breaking in a new atty; at least for me the 401 attys have lasted a long time. I alternate between three, but have been vaping for 2 months and haven't lost one (I'll probably have one go cold tonight now that I said that.

Hilton is definitely good and so far is the closest thing to a cigarette taste that I've found.

Shadowdr

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Nashville Tn.
For a brand new atty I will soak in Everclear (PGA) for about 30 minutes, blow from battery end till dry, wait 5 minutes, add three drops of liquid and start vaping. I also use this method for changing flavors if they are really different or a flavor has gone rank on me(starts to taste like a dead animal).

While the NU-Vape Hiltun is the closest thing I have tried to an analog, be carefull!! You will become acutely odifferous. It has the worst affect on your innards that can be imagined, long hang time, excessive travel and you can ruin a whole room with a single blast. Do not go anywhere that there might be a lot of people and you can not exit quickly. It was kind of funny the first time I went to Wally world, but I could not linger long at any given spot. Watching people walk into the odor and look accusingly around at other people was priceless.

mokeyjoe

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2009
Preston, UK
Well...

I decided to take a day off from trying. I cleaned out the atomizer, blew it out, and let it sit on a paper towel overnight.

I just tried dripping some Hilton from LiteCig USA, and I gotta say, this isn't bad at all. I'm still getting a hint of melon, but the overall flavor is pretty darn close to a cigarette.

It isn't perfect, and I may find myself liking the flavors, but this is much closer to what I was expecting.

For what it's worth, I bought just about every non-PG flavor NuVape had in stock, and broke down and bought an Evo with Regular and Rich EcoPure juices and carts. (And if there's interest, I'll write up a review comparing the M402 to the black Evo)

So, I'm pretty well convinced that it was the primer and lack of cleaning that was making everything taste so bad the first couple days. Now.. if only there was a sure-fire way to get rid of the primer from day one ;)

I've never had a problem with this primer taste - I've only ever used Evo atomisers.

The Ecopure liquids are excellent IMO. I thought they were a bit bland to begin with, but now I've really got a taste for them. VG all the way!

Instinct

Jun 18, 2009
I've got 2 401s that both started tasting horrid after a week of use. During that first week they were perfect.

Normally, they work great - 3 conditions bring about the nasty burnt taste:

1: Fresh battery. For the first 10 or so drags I can expect it to taste like burnt.. something.

2: Multiple fast drags, it gets hot and again... yuck

3: Very slow long drag

I have a passthrough on the way and am afraid it will always be like a fresh battery.

Recommendations? Should I try another juice supplier? I've tried cleaning the atomizers (in just about every way I've seen on the forums) no change. Have tried doing a 'burn off' after cleaning and that didn't change, though I did find something interesting. With the atomizer exposed I stood in front of the mirror and blew on the tip of the battery to keep it powered... interestingly enough on a fresh battery sometimes the atomizer would stay glowing for 3 seconds after the led went out (still getting powered). Odd, and you can tell when this happens with a cart because the burnt taste is absurd.

Would appreciate any advice.

Oh, the burnt effect can be accomplished with carts, dipping, dripping.. makes no difference.

sethinphx

Jun 28, 2009
Have quite a different experience with my 402, though I just got it last Wed., but have been puffing on it almost constantly since.

Got the dual atty kit from litecig also, have only used one of them so far and it's working great. Also did not notice much in the way of bad taste even right at first, threw a menthol pre-filled on right away and it tasted fine. Maybe looking back it probably tasted better after several puffs, but I also filled up a cappachino cart right away and tried that, while a little menthol taste lingered(creme de mint and coffee anyone?...;) )...the cap. came through quickly and I liked it right away. Mind you, I'm talking about all this within maybe 30 minutes of opening the box.

Now I do need to clean my atty, my inexperience and not having read through the forum very much has allowed me to use it since without cleaning it at all...will get on that!

But overall I'm very happy with the atty, the unit as a whole and the flavors. Looking forward to trying more flavors soon.

SethinPhx

susan28

ECF Veteran
i'm puffing on a brand new 401 from Litecig right now (my first-ever PV experience) with Coconut juice - imma clove-only smoker, don't like regular cigs, not looking to quit, love my decadence and all the candy flavours (cherry, vanilla, Zanzi Chardonnay) but cloves just got banned so i need a replacement - and it tastes.. burnt. and harsh/burny if i do a big inhale. not enjoyable at all and not like coconut but i did also get some cappucino and plenty of carts so i'll give that a try with the other atty.

so is the consensus that Evo's have non-icky-tasting attys? is this a "4xx" thing that isn't a problem with other models? i'm looking at 901's as well but the black/gold 401 was just so pretty i grabbed one right away. not having fun so far though, sadly. i've been french-inhaling to avoid the throat-burn but it really smells like burnt-something. very unique smell/taste. like burnt corn syrup or something.

Twinkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2009
Having tried out different models since originally posting this, here's how it's been for me:

M401/2/3 (LiteCig): Using the included Marlboro carts seem to ruin it forever, as far as taste. Breaking it in with a low-nicotine and low-flavor liquid seems to be the play here. I've been using no-nicotine EcoPure Fresh for this.

My method here has been to drop directly on the atomizer, suck on it like crazy (without inhaling) for about 5 - 10 minutes, drain the atomizer, then do it again in an hour or two.

IntelliCig Evo: No-nic EcoPure Fresh for about 20 - 40 puffs, drain for 30 minutes, and you're good to go.

510 (TW / IV Titan): Still haven't figured out an efficient way on this one. I spent what seemed like half a day trying to burn off the primer, but the aftertaste was there for a couple of days.

susan28

ECF Veteran
how do you drain it? prop it up with something on a paper towel? or wrap it up in paper towel and stand it up that way?

it could be that i just don't like this liquid. i accidentally took a pull off it before sticking a cart in or charginbg the batt just to see how the draw was, and it turned out the batt came with a charge and it smoked a bit, and it didn't taste as bad as when i put the juice in. i read elsewhere on the forum someone raving about some coconut juice really tasting like coconut, and being the only juice that really tasted like what it was called, but it wasn't Litecig juice. forget what brand it was.

does Eco Fresh taste like tobacco at all or is it something different entirely?

my 401 has now stopped smoking entirely, btw, and i've only had maybe 20 puffs. could atty be clogged already? light goes on but no vapor. i did overfill the cart a bit but it worked ok at first. gonna try new atty, new cart and some cappucino i think.

Twinkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2009
how do you drain it? prop it up with something on a paper towel? or wrap it up in paper towel and stand it up that way?
Yep. I find a DVD case works pretty well to prop it with. It doesn't have to be perfectly vertical if you move it around every few minutes or so.

I usually blow it out, too. I fold a paper towel a couple times, and pinch the atomizer, then blow out the bottom.

it could be that i just don't like this liquid. i accidentally took a pull off it before sticking a cart in or charginbg the batt just to see how the draw was, and it turned out the batt came with a charge and it smoked a bit, and it didn't taste as bad as when i put the juice in. i read elsewhere on the forum someone raving about some coconut juice really tasting like coconut, and being the only juice that really tasted like what it was called, but it wasn't Litecig juice. forget what brand it was.
It took me forever to find a liquid I liked. If you got NuVape's coconut, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't like it. I have it, and was not a fan at all.

does Eco Fresh taste like tobacco at all or is it something different entirely?
It doesn't really taste like anything. That's why I use it for breaking in / cleaning / changing between flavors.

my 401 has now stopped smoking entirely, btw, and i've only had maybe 20 puffs. could atty be clogged already? light goes on but no vapor. i did overfill the cart a bit but it worked ok at first. gonna try new atty, new cart and some cappucino i think.
Could be your cart isn't wicking well. Put a drop or two directly on the atomizer and see. :)

susan28

ECF Veteran
(drip drip..) WOOHOO thar she blows, hehe.. best hit yet.. tastes a lil better too (not much, i think i'm just lowering my standards, hehe.. it withheld vapor altogether til i quit whining lol). thanks Twink..

so are Evo attys actually different, then? if i order some from Intellicig will i get Evo attys?

also to those who clean with alcohol, will rubbing alcohol work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread