Madecat_vapes Review - Eleaf Tessera Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

madecat_vapes

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2018
Good Morning ECF! Today I am reviewing for you the eleaf Tessera Kit. The Tessera Kit is a pocket friendly, internal battery kit with plenty of power and style. So how well does the Tessera hold up? Read below for my evaluation.

This kit was sent to me from eleaf for the purpose of a review.

I have had the Tessera Kit for over a month now and feel I can give a fair assessment of its quality.

On to the review.

Specs

Tessera
  • Dimensions: 42mm x 30.5mm x 82.7mm
  • Battery Type: Internal 3400mAh
  • Output Wattage: 1-150w
  • Output Voltage: .5-8V
  • Output Mode: VW/RTC/TC(Ni/Ti/SS/TCR)/Bypass
  • Resistance Range: VW/RTC - .1-3.0ohm, TC Modes - .05-1.0ohm
  • Display: 1.45-inch LCD screen
  • Charge: 2A Quick Charge
  • Temperature protection during charging
  • Unique Low Poly design
  • Thread: Spring-loaded 510
Ello TS
  • Height: 46mm/54mm
  • Diameter: 25mm
  • Capacity: 2mL/4mL
  • Retractable Top Fill system
  • Adjustable Bottom Airflow
Current color options include Green, Silver, Dazzling (rainbow), Red, and Black.

Contents
  • Tessera Mod
  • Ello TS Atomizer (4mL/2mL version)
  • HW2 .3ohm head (installed)
  • HW1 .2ohm head
  • QC USB Cable
  • 2 x User Manuals
  • Spare Parts

Pics

Lx6cCRM.jpg

Fp7sU4p.jpg

7XMUw9X.jpg

BTPuXKZ.jpg

dawLwHl.jpg

bgwIKNK.jpg

zYKtW99.jpg

CsVyXww.jpg

DTm3j5Z.jpg

6hS5CMU.jpg

PKzFKvm.jpg

mBoRDeF.jpg

dj7lFbj.jpg

Operation
  • 5 clicks on. 5 clicks off
  • Press fire bar when off to view clock and date
  • 10 clicks on for Board and Battery temp
  • 3 clicks to enter menu system
  • Hold + and - when on to lock adjustment buttons (this does not lock the fire bar)
  • Hold + and - when off to flip the screen
  • Press function button for stealth mode
  • Hold function button to quick-cycle through firing modes

Impression

The Tessera Kit is a new internal-battery device by Eleaf, boasting 150W power output and housing your typical range of TC options. The kit comes with the "new" Ello TS subohm tank, which is essentially the Ello tank with some added design elements to match the design of the mod. The device is quite the eye-catcher. It has some very nice rounded corners and incorporates some stylish polygonal designs throughout. It is fairly small and looks to be a great starter kit or a nice option for those not wanting to deal with external batteries.

Let's start at the top.

The 510 connection houses a spring-loaded pin and looks to be secured through the bottom/inside of the device. Since the device has some fairly pronounced rounded corners throughout, the circular "plate" at the top allows it to accomodate up to 25mm attys without the appearance of any overhang. The gaps at the top are a design aspect I assume to give the device a uniform look since it's necessary on one side for the firebar. Functionality aside, I would've preferred a cleaner look than those huge gaps, but I understand why they went that route.

Speaking of the firebar, it's fairly clicky and responsive and works regardless of how you're holding the mod. The mod seems like it's designed more with a right-handed person in mind, as typically with a bar fire button you would activate it by palming the device and using your fingers to fire it. However, I'm left handed and since I didn't want to palm the screen, I would use my thumb to fire the device. You don't get the same "grip" experience as doing it the other way, but it worked okay. I also found that if a lefty still wanted to grip it, the firebar had no issues being activated against the palm of your hand.

The front of the mod houses the screen, +/- and function/mode/stealth buttons, and USB charge port. The screen itself is beautiful. It has a very high resolution and the color theme can be changed to your liking.

In regular power mode you can see your battery life, watts front and center, volts, coil resistance, time, and date.

In RTC mode, the clock takes center stage and you're presented with your subpara option at the bottom.

TC mode is a mix of power and RTC modes, with your temp out front still able to display your subpara.

The interface and menu design on the Tessera is quite nice and the inclusion of a function/mode/stealth button is an option that I really enjoy. I like that it is multi-purpose, allowing you single-click your device in stealth mode, or long-pressing to cycle through firing modes. However, you still have to 3-click the fire button to enter the menu system. Why not go all in on the function button for this? I feel like this button is underutilized.

I've ranted before about over-doing it with having shortcuts all over the place, but I feel like the Tessera could benefit from a few shortcuts. The two main ones I like to see are: one that allows you to change power for TC; and one to lock wattage for TC. These options are not present, and you have to enter the menu, then Set submenu to accomplish this. This is a matter of preference for me, but I feel like it would be that much more convenient for the user to have.

Moving on with the design, the polygonal aspect on the front gives it a bit of an awkward appearance. The device has a bulge towards the bottom of the screen. I'm not sure if the angle is functional (maybe causes less screen glare), but it's different from what I'm used to seeing. The design on the back serves as a sort of ergonomic grip. At first glance it didn't seem like it would work well, but it's actually quite comfortable, especially with the device's rounded edges.

The bottom of the mod has two torq screws holding the bottom plate on and a recession housing the reset button. I have not used the reset button, but would assume it restores it to factory settings. You can also see those gaps that I spoke of early that are on the top of the mod. They don't mess with how the device sits on a surface, but I just don't care for the aesthetics of them.

Performance

This mod performs quite well. Power mode outputs decently and consistently and I never had an issue with a misfire or anything similar. I used various builds in multiple attys and Power mode did great for each. I will say that I tried to keep my power output at or below 75w as I feel like this is going to be a good spot for a compromize between power output and battery longevity. I realize the device is using a decent sized battery, but I tend not to vape at too high wattages anyway, so at or below 75w gave me some decent battery life.

In TC mode, I had a bit of an issue at first. Using single coil SS316L 26/30 clapton I was consistently botted out of TC. I swapped my build to triple core 30*3/38 and it worked a lot better. I used this build on there for a while and was only booted out once. I don't know if it had to do with the mass of the wire I was using or what, but good TC shouldn't do that, regardless. While TC worked better for the smaller-core build, it still shows an inconsistency with TC performance, so I would not recommend getting this device solely for TC.

Since this is an internal-battery device, charging is another main category when it comes to performance. The device supposedly has temperature protection while charging. I believe it's supposed to automatically cut charging if it senses the device getting to warm, and resume once the temp drops back down to a predetermined range. The first few times I charged the device was with a wall charger and the device seemed to get really warm. I didn't notice it ever stop charging, but maybe it didn't hit that critical zone. After conversing a contact at Eleaf, I swapped to the provided USB cable and charge via PC. This produced a better result and the mod didn't get nearly as warm, so I would recommend charging the device in this fashion. Charge times were also really quick regardless of how it was charged.

Ello TS

The Ello TS is essentially the same tank as the Ello Subohm Tank and uses the same coils.

The Ello TS tank is a decent little top-fill subohm atty. The adjustment ring moves pretty smoothly and there are quite large slits for the airflow. This should help accommodate those that like ample amounts of airflow. The sliding system moves easily enough when pushing on it and has a satisfying click open and close. The fill port is adequate for whatever type of bottle you have.

The HW2 coil ohmed in around .3-.34 and the HW1 was .2-.22. The HW2 coil is NiCr and the HW1 is SS316L with ceramic around the outside of the cotton (to retain heat I assume). I personally liked the HW2 coil better. It had better flavor, but didn't quite last as long. Whereas the HW1 lasted longer with less flavor. There are also three other options for coils: HW1-C-.25ohm SS316L; HW3-.2ohm NiCr; HW4-.3ohm NiCr.

As far as performance goes, this tank is okay. I'm not really a subohm tank kind of guy, so I'm not the best at evaluating subohm tanks. I can compare it to an RDA, but that's not really going to be a fair comparrison. I think it's decent for what it is. Am I going to run out and go buy it?...nope. Would someone else get enjoyment out of it?...yep

Final Thoughts

Pros
  • Compact Design
  • Convenient Internal Battery
  • Fire bar activates easily without having to palm the screen (for lefties)
  • Screen resolution
  • Simple interface
  • Function button
  • Polygonal hand ergonomics
  • Power mode performance
  • Quick charging
Cons
  • Gaps at top and bottom of mod
  • under-utilized Function button
  • no shortcuts to change TC watts or lock TC resistance
  • TC inconsistency

I really think this is a decent little device, especially if you're going to be predominantly using it in Power mode or using smaller wires in TC. The feel of the device is quite nice and I love how small it is. I really like the internal battery because sometimes I just don't want to worry about swapping out batteries. With this, you just charge and go. The screen is quite beautiful and the interface is fairly intuitive.

I don't really care for the aesthetics of the gaps at the top and bottom of the mod, but I understand why they are there and it's more person preference and doesn't affect how the mod performs. I really love having a function button on mods, and appreciate it's inclusion on the Tessera, however, it feels under utilized. I also cannot recommend this device if you are looking for good TC as it is too inconsistent.

With that said, if you're new to vaping and don't want to worry about keeping batteries married or carrying extra batteries, this is going to be a decent kit. Even if you're an experienced vaper and you just want something simple and small for a quick out and about, the Tessera will get the job done. Just don't expect great performance from TC.

Purchasing

Item is currently preorder.
Note: none of the links are affiliate links. They just tend to be where I purchase most of my gear from and the ones I know and trust.

Thank you for your attention ECF. I hope you all have a great week!

Also, if you want to keep up with me, you can follow me on Instagram @madecat_vapes.

Last edited:
Reactions: beckah54

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Since this is an internal-battery device, charging is another main category when it comes to performance. The device supposedly has temperature protection while charging. I believe it's supposed to automatically cut charging if it senses the device getting to warm, and resume once the temp drops back down to a predetermined range. The first few times I charged the device was with a wall charger and the device seemed to get really warm. I didn't notice it ever stop charging, but maybe it didn't hit that critical zone. After conversing a contact at Eleaf, I swapped to the provided USB cable and charge via PC. This produced a better result and the mod didn't get nearly as warm, so I would recommend charging the device in this fashion. Charge times were also really quick regardless of how it was charged.
Thanks for the review. I'm very uneasy with the buyer depending on the device sensing the "too warm" temperature and automatically shutting off. This is a great back up feature but I would like to know the maximum wall plug amp rating for charging, is 2 amps ok ? The unit does not come with a charging unit and this also is a con to me.
Any how, great job, appreciate it.

Reactions: madecat_vapes

madecat_vapes

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2018
Thanks for the review. I'm very uneasy with the buyer depending on the device sensing the "too warm" temperature and automatically shutting off. This is a great back up feature but I would like to know the maximum wall plug amp rating for charging, is 2 amps ok ? The unit does not come with a charging unit and this also is a con to me.
Any how, great job, appreciate it.

I understand your concern, and as I said, I'm not sure it ever really stopped charging even though the device got fairly warm. So whether or not it's actually working is up in the air.

Yes, it is max rated at 2 amps for charging.

Reactions: BrotherBob

madecat_vapes

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2018
Thanks for the review. I only have a few mods with internal batteries..... most are removable battery mods. Sweet looking device though.

This is currently my only one with an I ternal battery. I really like that I don't have to worry about carrying around extra batteries or charging through the device. It's very simple in that respect and is a nice change of pace.

It is a decent looking device and that screen is beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread