Madecat_Vapes Review : Hugo Vapor Orbiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

madecat_vapes

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2018
Hello ECF! Today I am reviewing for you the Hugo Vapor Orbiter! The Orbiter is extremely lightweight and has a very ergonomic design to it. Does it perform as well as it feels? Read below for my evaluation.

I have had the Orbiter for 3 weeks now and feel I can give a fair assessment of its quality.

This product was sent to me from Hugo Vapor for the purpose of a review.

Specs
Dimensions: 96mm x 58mm x 38mm
Weight: 70g
Battery Type: Dual 18650
Wattage Output Range: 1-230W
Resistance Range: 0.06-3.0ohms
Modes: Wattage/TC(NI-Ti-SS)/TCR/BYPASS/Preheat/Custom User Mode
Material: Nylonfiber and Stainless Steel
0.96" TFT Color Display
Ergonomic Shape
Bottom-Loaded Hinged Battery Door
Firmware Upgradable (via USB)​

Color Options
1.jpg

Contents

Orbiter 230W Box mod
Micro USB Cable
Instruction Manual​

Pics
Contents
YgRdO0t.jpg

Orbiter
HsQL8nU.jpg

toYoNYg.jpg

Fire Button
s0F6or9.jpg

Screen/Buttons
e6EeVmj.jpg

Back
3268TA5.jpg

Battery Door
SIbwLOJ.jpg

Battery Tray
C9j4syi.jpg

24mm
CFovZEe.jpg

30mm 1
8cyRauO.jpg

30mm 2
lZSzqvY.jpg

Defect 1
YA4auQj.jpg

Defect 2
Y8e7SrA.jpg

Operation
5 click fire button on / 5 click off
Hold Menu button for Settings / System Info
Settings: Time/Puff/Brightness/Theme Color/Reset
3 click Menu button to scroll through modes
In TC Mode: 3 click fire button - Adjust TCR setting/Set Wattage
Fire & - to lock resistance​

Orbiter
Hugo Vapor is probably best known for their their Boxer and Squeezer devices. I've never owned either of those, and didn't realize it but they also have quite a few other devices to their catalog that have seem to flown under my radar. The Orbiter is one such device, and I'm quite surprised I hadn't heard much about it regardless of the few incidents I had with it. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's jump off this review and start at the best place possible: the top.

Top/510: The Orbiter houses a decently large 510 plate embeloshed with a...star of David? That might not have been what they were going for, but that's what it is. The plate is secured to the device via two torq-head screws and had plenty of space to house larger attys. 24mm attys look good on the device, but you can pretty much go up to 30mm without overhang! The threading of the 510 is a bit stiff and not quite as smooth as many other devices I have used. The positive pin is gold plated and spring loaded and travels quite a bit. If you have some attys with larger pins, you won't need to worry about whether or not they'll fit.

Fire Button: The fire button of the Orbiter is a trigger-styled button located at the perfect position for index-finger firing. The button protrudes about 3-4mm from the device and is contoured for comfort. The throw of the fire button is fairly short, yet it requires a sufficient amount of pressure to activate so unintentional fires aren't an issue. It is quite clicky and activates well.

Buttons/Screen/Menu: The device utilizes a +, -, and Menu button for navigating the features and menus. The screen is beside the buttons and they all rest within a face plate on the device. The buttons are pretty stiff and clicky and the screen is quite small, yet sufficient.

Here is where I realized the first few issues. The face plate appears to be secured to the device with some kind of glue. I'm not sure whether the glue heats up from using the device, but it seeps out around the edges of the face plate and leaves a sticky mess. I also noticed this glue slightly seeping out from around the buttons. This is quite annoying. I have been using the device for a few weeks and, while it has gotten better, I still notice it occasionally. Also, the face plate seems to be separating from the device a bit towards the bottom (see Defect 2 image above). They really should have found a better way to secure this to the device as it's quite off-putting.

I really like the use of a menu button on the device for accessing menus and modes. It's quite intuitive and helps to keep unnecessary wear away from the fire button. The Orbiter has a few customization options through the menu such as brightness and theme color, but there's really not much to it. This device really isn't about the screen or the menu though, so it works for what it is.

Battery Door/Tray: Batteries are secured in the device via a hinge-style battery door. I initially had some issues with the battery door. It was a bit hard to open/close at first, but has loosed up over the weeks of usage. It is quite secure once you get it on there though, and I don't have to worry about it accidentally popping open. However, the batteries seem a bit tight in the tray. This is evident by parts of the door being pushed on with batteries inside the device and protruding about 1-2mm from the device. While the hinge on the battery door is pretty nice, the batteries need a bit more room to prevent the issue.

Size/Styling: The Orbiter doesn't seem to have been designed to have the greatest screen or to be the classiest looking device. It was designed to be a comfortable device on the go, in which it has succeeded. The shape is pretty atypical, and reminds me slightly of a pistol grip of sorts. The ergonomics of it is spot on! Whether you're left-handed or right-handed it has perfect grooves that make holding it quite natural and comfortable. Gripping the device intuitively leads you to rest your index finger on the fire button. I don't really know how else to say it, but this device was designed to be held comfortably and succeeds. As for the styling, I could take it or leave it. I'm not the biggest fan of the splatter design, and the other designs don't really catch my fancy much either. Some may like it...I am indiferent.

One more thing I want to note here. The device has a few holes located on the side of the device that seem to be manufacturing defects (see Defect 1 image above). Not sure if this is present on all devices, but it was on mine.

Performance: With the few issues I noted with the device, I wasn't really expecting much performance wise. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Orbiter performed. Power mode hits very well. Ramp up is a bit on the slow side and isn't as instantaneous as say VooPoo or Smoant devices, but once it gets going it performs quite well. As for TC...again, I was very surprised at how it performed. The TCR for SS seemed a bit high stock for my personal preference, but it's very easy to change the value and adjust your wattage. TC did pretty well at throttling back power when necessary and has some fairly decent dry-hit detection. It's not the greatest TC, but it's definitely passable. TC was tested using a few different AVS SS builds, including 26x30 claptons and 30x4/40 quad-core fused claptons.​

Final Thoughts
Pros

• Large 510 plate
  • Seats up to 30mm attys
  • Long throw in the positive pin
  • Nice trigger-styled fire button
  • Clicky buttons
  • Menu button implementation
  • Battery door very secure
  • Battery hinge is well done
  • Extremely lightweight
  • DID I MENTION THE ERGONOMICS!?
  • Power mode performance
  • TC performance quite decent
Cons
  • Star of David?
  • 510 threading a bit stiff
  • Seeping glue
  • Face plate appears to be separating from device
  • Battery door initially hard to open/close
  • Batteries a bit tight and cause battery door to not sit flush
  • Holes on the side of the device
  • Ramp up a bit on the slow side

I'm quite torn about this device. I'm very annoyed with the seeping gunk, the issues with the face plate, the manufacturing defect with the device casing, and the slightly protruding battery door. However, the Orbiter is extremely lightweight, feels amazing in the hand, and performs pretty well. I would say if you can find it at a great price, it will be a nice little beater device to carry around with you. If you're looking for something classy looking and is well built, you may need to look elsewhere.

Purchasing
  • Fasttech - $32.92
  • 3fvape - $35.59
  • Healthcabin - $39.99
  • ElementVape - $49.95

Thank you...
...for your attention ECF. I hope you all have a great rest of your week!

I want to give another shout out to Hugo Vapor for giving me the opportunity to provide this community with this review. If you want to check them out, you can follow them on Instagram.

Also, if you want to keep up with me, you can follow me on Instagram.

Reactions: mimöschen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread