Madecat_Vapes Two-Fer Review: GeekVape Aegis Legend Kit and Zeus Dual RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

madecat_vapes

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2018
Good Evening ECF! I'm back again with another two-fer review, this time of GeekVape products: the Aegis Legend Kit and the Zeus Dual RTA! Both products are second generations of other popular devices released by GeekVape. Do these devices live up to their predecessors? Read below for my evaluation.

I have had both the Aegis Legend Kit and Zeus Dual RTA for about 4 weeks now and feel I can give a fair assessment of their quality.

These products were sent to me from GeekVape for the purpose of a review.

aegis legend Kit

Aegis Legend Specs
  • Dimension: 90.5mm x 58.5mm x 30.6mm
  • Batteries: Dual 18650 (not included)
  • Modes: VW;TC(Ni200/Ti/SS/TCR);Bypass;VPC(Power Curve Adjustment)
  • Wattage Ouput Range: 1-200W
  • Temperature Control Range: 200°F-600°F
  • Minimum Atomizer Resistance: 0.05ohm
  • Display: 0.91" OLED Color Display
  • Materials: Zinc & Aluminum Zinc Alloy w/ LSR Silicone Mould
  • Leather Grip Section
  • Shockproof System
  • IP67 Water Resistance and Dustproof System
  • Rocker-Style Firing Button
  • Bottom-Loaded Hinged Battery Cap
  • Spring-Loaded Gold-Plated 510 Connection
Aero Mesh Sub-Ohm Tank Specs
  • Diameter: 25mm
  • Capacity: 4mL
  • Material: Stainless Steel
  • Coils: Mesh X1-Kanthal/0.2ohm/30-90W; Quad Coil-0.15ohm/60-80W
  • Airflow: Dual Slotted Bottom
  • Fill Method: Top
  • Drip Tip: Delrin Widebore
Current color options include Red Trim, Azure Trim, Rainbow Trim, Navy Blue Trim, Green Trim, Silver, Black & Orange, Snake Skin, Camo, and Stealth Black.

Aegis Legend Contents
  • Aegis Legend 200W Box Mod
  • Aero Mesh Sub-Ohm Tank
  • 1 x 0.2ohm Mesh X1 Coil
  • 1 x 0.15ohm Quad Coil
  • Spare Bubble Glass Tube
  • MicroUSB Cable
  • Spare Accessory Bag
  • Instructional Manual
Operation
This is the same as the Blade Mod
  • 5 clicks on
  • + and - to lock +/- buttons (can still fire mod)
  • 3 clicks to enter "menu"
  • + and - while in "menu" to change LED color around fire button (can change R/G/B each to on or off)
  • + or - to scroll through operation modes while in "menu" (Power/TC/TCR/VPC/BYPASS)
  • Click power button while in "menu" to modify operation type
  • Modify Power Operation (lock/reset resistance, reset puff counter)
  • Modify TC Operation (lock/reset resistance, change watts, reset puff counter)
  • Modify TCR Operation (lock/reset resistance, change watts, change TCR, reset puff counter)
  • Modify VPC Operation (modify 5 wattage points)
  • Modify Bypass Operation (lock/reset resistance, reset puff counter)
  • Power button and + or - to change screen brightness
  • 5 clicks off
  • + and - while off to show version
Pics
For Convenience, a full album has been posted, as well as individual pictures
Aegis Legend
The Aegis Legend mod is a slightly thinner, slightly longer version of the OG Aegis mod that GeekVape released in 2017. It still maintains the same rugged styling and looks, but this version is a dual-18650 device. I did not own the OG Aegis, but I can say that the Aegis Legend stands pretty well on its own. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's jump off this review and start at the best place possible: the top.

Top: The top of the Aegis Legend is made entirely out of a large piece of metal secured to the rest of the device via 4 hex screws. There are a few circles indented around the 510 to give the appearance of a 510 "plate" and is large enough to accomodate 30mm attys. The 510 connection has some nice threading and the gold-plated positive pin is spring loaded. The USB charge port is also located on the top of the device, towards the front of the mod, and is covered/protected by a rubber instert to prevent water/dust from entering.

Buttons: Travelling down the front of the Legend and you have the fire button, screen (more on this later), and +/- buttons. There is absolutely no play in the buttons whatsoever and they have a nice clickyness to them. All buttons have a countour to them that makes it really easy and pleasant to press them. All buttons activate without any issues.

Screen/Menu: The screen/menu on the Aegis Legend is pretty much an exact copy of what was in the Blade kit so I'm going to use the magic of copy/paste here. The device has a decent sized screen and pretty much all the information you want to see on it. The menu system is very simplified, which can be a pro or a con. It works fine, so whatever. You can take a look above at the Operation section for more information on the workings of the menu. Rather than having a more immersive menu system, they rely on some weird shortcuts in order to do things. This was true on the Blade, and is still true on the Aegis Legend. I'd prefer an actual menu/submenu style of navigation for my UI, but hey, that's just me.

Battery Door/Tray: The bottom of the device houses a hinge-style battery door. The door has some venting on it and a sliding latch-release mechanism. The battery door is very springy and there is no unexpected movement from it. It's actually quite a nice door compared to others of this same style and is very secured when closed. There are a few issues I have with the door/tray, though. My biggest issues with the door is that it can sometimes be a pain to open and closed. I understand that they were going for rugged here, so I can give it a slight pass on this, but it is worth mentioning. The release button takes a bit of force to get it open, and closing it can be a real beast. Everything is just so tight down there (heh), especially the batteries. It's not necesarilly a bad thing for the batteries as they're not just going to come sliding out of the device as soon as you pop the latch open. You just have to give the mode a slight tap or shake to get them to come out. My concern here is if you have batteries with slightly thicker wraps, you may have to fight a bit to get them out.

Size/Styling: The size of the device seems pretty standard for a dual 18650 device. It may be on the slightly larger side of the spectrum, but this is completely acceptable given the ruggedness of the device. While it might be a bit larger than some devices, it's not uncomfortable to hold. The styling makes it very easy to grip and it just fits well in the hand. Speaking of styling, I really love how this device looks. The accent pieces really set this device off. The devices uses Silicon and alloy materials to help give it it's durability. And from the leather padding to the colored trim/buttons/stitching, this device just looks really well crafted.

Performance: I used the Legend mostly in Power Mode but swapped on over to TC to test things out a bit. Power Mode performs fantastically as I've come to expect from GeekVape devices. As with the Blade, the Aegis Legends fires stupidly quick. There is no dealy whatsoever. This is great when taking hits. Not so much when you want to turn the device off or perform any functions that utilize the fire button. It's just one of those things where you have to take the bad with the good. As for power output, it felt really nice and consistent. TC: I feel like TC has gotten a bit better since I reviewed the Blade, but it's still nowhere near the likes of VooPoo or Smoant.

I want to note one more thing here. I had seen some issues concerning this device, namely idle battery drain and issues updating firmware. The first thing I did when I opened this device was update the firmware. I was a bit on edge the entire time, but it updated without any issues. Also, I tend to shut my devices off immediately after use and usually don't have them on for hours at a time. However, I did forget to turn it off for an entire day and when I looked at it, battery life was about where I left it. So while others may have had bad experiences concerning these issues, I have not. My device is on version v1.2.

Durability: I'm sorry everyone. I'm very easy on all of my devices and baby them. They're electronic devices, and maybe it's because I'm so used to being careful with my phone, or an mp3 player, but I make sure to be careful will all handheld electronic devices. So while this device is meant to be rugged and should be able to hold up to some abuse, I am unable to report on that. I did however stand around in the rain with it in my hand a few times and haven't had any issues with it, so I guess that's something.
Aero Mesh Sub-Ohm Tank
The Aero Mesh is very similar to the Aero that I reviewed with the Blade, so here's a bit of copy/paste and I'll talk a bit about the new coils.

It's a nice little subohm tank. It has adequate airlfow and some pretty good flavor. It takes 810 drip tips, so that's a bonus. It utilizes The same top-fill design that is typical of GeekVape, where you twist it a half of a turn to remove the entire top. I feel like some kind of push-to-open top would be better, or something hinge-style. The Mesh coils that GeekVape have created are actually really nice. The regular Aero tank I thought was just okay. It wasn't the tank's fault; it was the coils. The mesh coils with the Aero Mesh are really fantastic. Flavor is quite on point. Maybe I would have liked to see a dual or triple mesh coil options, but the single mesh is really great! I used to say I wasn't much of a sub-ohm tank guy, and while I still can't justify the cost of purchasing coils, I have to say that I'm really impressed with how far tanks have come.​

Final Thoughts
Pros

• Supposed durability (sorry, I didn't test)
  • Nice size
  • Accomodates 30mm attys
  • Smooth 510 threading
  • Waterproof/dustproof USB
  • Clicky and responsive buttons
  • Battery door is very secure and hinge is exceptional
  • Comfortable to hold
  • Styling
  • Quick firing
  • Power Mode performance
  • Coil flavor
Cons
  • Unintuitive button shortcuts
  • would have liked to see more of a menu system
  • Battery door hard to close
  • batteries slightly too tight in tray
  • maybe fires a bit too quickly
  • TC performance
The GeekVape Aegis Legend kit is a really great device. I love the way it looks and feels and it performs exceptionally well in Power Mode. It seems really rugged and durable and, while I baby my devices, I don't think I have to worry about some water splashing onto the device. Also, the new mesh coils that come with the Aero Mesh tank are really nice. If you don't care about TC and want something solid, the Aegis Legend should definitely be considered.

Zeus Dual RTA

Zeus Dual Specs
  • Diameter: 26mm
  • Max Capacity: 4mL
  • Material: Stainless Steel
  • Build Deck: Postless, Four Terminal
  • Single or Dual Coil
  • PEEK Insulator
  • Airflow: Adjustable Dual Exterior Top
  • Dual Chimney Design
  • Fill Method: Top
  • Drip Tips: 810 Delrin Widebore/510 Delrin/510 Adapter
Current color options include SS, Gunmetal, Black, Blue, Gold, Polished SS, Red Black, and Rainbow.

Zeus Dual Contents
  • GeekVape Zeus Dual RTA
  • Allen Key
  • Spare Glass Tube
  • 510 Delrin drip tip
  • 510 drip tip adapter
  • 810 drip tip
  • Coil
  • User Manual
Zeus Dual Pics
For Convenience, a full album has been posted, as well as individual pictures
Zeus Dual RTA
The GeekVape Zeus Dual RTA is the second generation of Zeus RTAs. A few changes have been made since the first go around, such as doing away with the "cage" on the inside of the tank, having an upgraded top-airflow design, and gaining 1mm in diameter. However, the most significant change is to the build deck. On top of being able to utilize single-coil builds, as its name suggests, the Zeus Dual can accomodate dual-coil builds as well. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's jump off this review and start at the best place possible: the top.

Drip Tip/Fill Port: There really isn't any change at all to the top portion compared to the OG Zeus. The drip tip, top cap, fill port, and adjustible airflow are all the same. As with the Zeus, the Zeus dual as the drip tip that encases the protruding walls from the top cap. I'm glad they designed this type of drip tip because I don't like the added height using a standard 810 adds. The downside being your standard 810s are raised from the atty a bit more. It utilizes The same top-fill design that is typical of GeekVape, where you twist it a half of a turn to remove the entire top. I feel like some kind of push-to-open top would be better, or something hinge-style.

Airflow: The airflow is similar to the Zeus RTA yet different. The ZD still utilizes the same airflow control ring and airflow seems pretty similar. The difference is how it's hitting the coils. with the OG Zeus, you had it travelling down the sides and coming through honeycomb vents on either side of the coil and also up through the middle. The ZD does away with the vents and central airflow, and utilizes wide slits towards the bottom of the coils on either side. I actually really like how this airflow works and I seem to get better results from it.

Chimney/Glass: I'm glad GeekVape decided to go with a bubble glass for the ZD. If you want to have a larger build deck and maintain a decent amount of juice capacity, a bubble glass is the way to go. They do include a straight glass if you don't like the bubble, but I feel like it's worth it for the extra mLs. The chimney is pretty standard fare here, with the Zeus etching on it. I guess the only other special thing to mention is how it's a double-walled chimney used to direct airflow from the top and down to the airflow slits on the deck.

Build Deck: The deck on the ZD is postless and pretty plain jane. Not really anything special going on here. Postless decks may be difficult at first for beginners, but they're actually quite easy to build on once you've built a few different devices and I actually prefer postless decks. The best improvement here over the OG Zeus is how your coils are placed. To wick the Zeus RTA, you really had to adjust your coil on a slant from the airflow so that the wicks would fit nicely in the channels. You don't have to worry about that with the ZD because your wicking channels are perpendicular to your coils.

Performance: I tried a few different builds in the ZD, but my goto build worked really well for me so I went with that for most of the time. AVS SS316 Claptons, 26/30, ohming in around .23. Flavor was really quite good and better than what I got from the Zeus. Airflow is very good at wide open and I kept it there for pretty much all of my use. I didn't ever get any spitback or have any leaking issues. All in all, performance was great!​

Final Thoughts
Pros

• Dual/Single coil option
  • No more cage
  • upgraded airflow works well
  • encasing drip tip
  • adequate airflow
  • bubble glass
  • postless deck
  • good flavor
  • no spitback or leaking
Cons
  • doesn't accomodate standard 810 drip tips well because of protruding walls
  • not a huge fan of the quarter-twist top cap
  • postless deck may be difficult for beginners
The Zeus Dual RTA is a real improvement over the OG Zeus in my book. Building and wicking is easier, I prefer the airflow better, and flavor is improved. Is it the greatest tasting RTA on the market? Probably not. That's just the sacrifice you make for top-airflow, leakproof designs. It's definitely good enough though for me to keep using without worrying about whether or not I'm missing out on flavor.

Thank you...
...for your attention ECF. I hope you all have a great rest of your week!

I want to give another shout out to GeekVape for giving me the opportunity to provide this community with this review. If you want to check them out, you can follow them on their Facebook or Instagram pages.

Also, if you want to keep up with me, you can follow me on Instagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread