Mage 24mm RTA....Big Flavor Small package

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sed8op8

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
I wanted to write a small review about this RTA even though it's been out for awhile it really is one of the best bangs for your buck if you love flavor and don't mind a fair amount of vapor as a by product.

The Mage RTA comes in a small square box that contains an extra glass tank,O-Rings,Grub Screws and a coil art tank band. It is shaped very much like the Sigelei/Supremo Moonshot and functions very much along the same lines. However CoilArt came through and either improved or fixed most of the design flaws and in some places just improved the Design of the moonshot creating a whole new RTA. It is 24mm so contains almost twice as much ejuice as the original Moonshot .
Where the moonshots infamous floating deck was quite the pain in the ... CoilArt has now fixed the deck to the base of the Mage also the Mage has velocity posts where the moonshot had a 2 post design with one hole per post. Also while the Mage has a similiar drip tip it is much larger and more comfortable then the Moonshots drip tip which was very small and uncomfortable while still functioning as the top part of the top fill for your juice. While the Mage and the Moonshot are different RTAs from different companies people have compared them quite a bit so I felt I should point out the differences of the 2 RTAs with the Mage in my opinion being a more refined and superior Atomizer.

The Mage is an attractive looking low profile tank with a heavy emphasis on flavor and supports dual coils only. It is a bottom airflow design that while having plenty of air is not completely wide open and has the TINIEST bit of restriction which I like and the airflow is fully adjustable. There is no juice flow control yet if wicked properly does not need it. The Mage is easy to build on yet there are a few things to keep in mind. It has enough room for advanced coils if your careful and pick your build accordingly. For example when I'm using large fused claptons or Aliens I will wrap coils with a 2.5mm inner diameter. I can fit 3mm ID fused claptons but the fit is tight and 2.5mm works great and leaves a good amount of room. When using round wire 3-3.5mm is perfectly fine.

Wicking the Mage is a little bit more involved but by no means Is it tough. I use Japanese organic cotton and after running my strips through my coils I pull them up so I can slide my barrel over them. The barrel has 2 notches in it that correspond with the square airflow ports. Once matching the notches up you screw down the barrel. At this point I take my tweezers and separate the cotton tails and comb it out making it nice and fluffy. Now there is a bunch of cotton shooting straight up from my coils and barrel. I then take my scissors and cut the wick almost even with the barrel then I take a small screw driver and push the cotton down making sure it is covering the wicking holes in the barrel. You want it as fluffy down there as possible. Hit with some juice to prime it screw the rest of tank together fill with juice and be prepared for some serious flouds (flavor clouds 8)....)

i did a quick comparison with the moonshot 24 same build and same juice. Building the Mage was hands down easier and the draw on the Mage felt a bit more restricted and the moonshot more airy. Which again is something I like and might be why it felt like I was getting a bit better flavor in the Mage. While both are great RTAs and have great flavor the Mage just seems to edge it out in almost every category.

All in all I think CoilArt hit it out of the park with the Mage and I have found very few cons with this RTA most of them being subjective however I will list them.

The Drip tip All though I do like the mages drip tip I wish it wasn't proprietary and that it came with the ability for flush mounting 510 drip tips. Also screwing the delerin drip tip into the metal threads can sometimes be a pain as well as unscrewing it can also be a pain as its hard to grip the smooth drip tip(a small piece of rubber glove can sometimes help) It is not a big deal and functions quite well it would just be nice to have options

The Barrel on the deck can sometimes be finicky to screw in. I understand why they built it this way so that it aligns with the juice flow correctly every time however I wish there was some other way to achieve that.

The Assembly of the deck is press fitted which has not been a problem for me but I have read reports of the press fittings shifting making the tank unusable or coming apart all together. Again this is another issue I have not experienced and seems to be fairly rare although it is one of those things I felt I should mention.

Ease of use I felt had to be mentioned as a newbie to the RTA scene might have quite a hard time with this RTA. It definitely has streamlined the process for these types of tanks but it still takes a small amount of skill to build and wick properly. Again this has not been a problem for me yet could be for someone else and I felt worth mentioning

All in all I must say the Mage has been quite a treat and one of my new favorite low pro RTAs. It's got a great price point and really performs like a dream. If your looking for a new RTA and have some experience with building and RTAs I say this is a must have for any vaper....!

I included an album of the packaging a few of my build pics as well as the Mage on a couple of mods and next to a few other setups so as to give people and idea of what it looks like and its size compared to other Atomizers on the market

Last edited:

Sed8op8

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
Thanks guys I had some much better pictures with a step by step build on my iPhone 6 (it takes better pics then my digital camera lol) however someone decided they wanted a locked iPhone that they can't use SMH....SIGH.... Anyways if people still show interest when I receive my new phone I will post a step by step build 8)

Thanks again

Marina2

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2015
USA
Excellent review. I love my Mage. The only con for me is the top cap. A royal pain to unscrew. It's smooth as silk and nothing will grip it. Get a speck of e juice on it and you'll never get it off. The only thing that will get a grip on it for me is the inside of a rubber dish glove. I had to cut one up and carry a little square of it with me just to refill, lol. Any other tank would have been retired due to this but the Mage is worth it. I haven't put it down since I got it and I wish I'd bought it sooner.

Reactions: Eskie

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
I have a couple of these. One thing about the top cap...do not tighten it. Just close it and snug it just ever so slightly. The o-ring seals it and then it is easy to remove. At the most, you will need to wipe it with a damp paper towel, then just use your fingers to open. If it gets a little tight, just slightly push down while opening it. I have never had a leak by just barely snugging the top. Really, it seals it fine without actually tightening.

I have a couple of 2 strand twisted 316L SS coils in. Vaping at 55W on a 0.20 ohm. Can probably go quite a bit higher, but I like a long draw so I keep the watts a little lower. Great flavor.

This and the Tornado Nano are both in my daily lineup. And my Boreas.

Marina2

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2015
USA
I have a couple of these. One thing about the top cap...do not tighten it. Just close it and snug it just ever so slightly. The o-ring seals it and then it is easy to remove. At the most, you will need to wipe it with a damp paper towel, then just use your fingers to open. If it gets a little tight, just slightly push down while opening it. I have never had a leak by just barely snugging the top. Really, it seals it fine without actually tightening.

I have a couple of 2 strand twisted 316L SS coils in. Vaping at 55W on a 0.20 ohm. Can probably go quite a bit higher, but I like a long draw so I keep the watts a little lower. Great flavor.

This and the Tornado Nano are both in my daily lineup. And my Boreas.
I've tried not tightening it, turning just until I meet resistance without any luck. It must be that I can leave it quite a bit looser than I thought because I've heard others say this too. I'll give it a try next refill. It would be great if it fixes the problem. I was at my brothers the other night and had forgotten my little square of rubber. Made me so mad... couldn't find anything at his house that would open it.

I've had 2 of these for some time. In short, it's a love/hate deal with me.
Pros: It has the ability to produce great flavor. Very comfortable chuff cap.
Cons: Build quality of the device is bad especially for the price. Small coil area, so you have to be careful with coil builds/selection.

I keep a small pair of pliers close by to remove the chuff cap since I have cracked both of the spare tanks trying to remove it.
The Mage is still my go to RTA. I've used it exclusively for so long that I know how to get it to perform to my liking.
When I decide to move on from it, the IJoy Tornado Nano will fill it's spot.
The wife has been using the Nano exclusively and loves it. It performs great and the factory chip coil has been performing great for months. It's done so well that she doesn't even care to try the RDA section that it comes with.

badinfluence357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2012
NYC
Just thought why not just drop this here....
I didn't like the rattle side play my mage atty had. I decided to have a closer look after getting multiple atty short readings on my mod...I installed a peak insulator around the positive pin and a grumet to stop the wiggle and completely chucked the silicon one in the picture...

They dropped the ball when it came to insulating the positive pin in the 510 connection. All other insulators are peak and sturdy unlike the 510 insulator.
They should've used peak and an allen head positive pin straight through the connection like all other tank rba's that are on the market now that cost about the same....Idk that's just my opinion on this one.

Last edited:

Beeker25

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2016
Reactions: Clark Kent

NYCVape

Aug 30, 2016
Whaaaaaa!

I am new to coils and wicks and I just cannot get this tank right!

Too much cotton = dry hits

Too little = leaking

I finally got a semi-decent build (learn as we go) and it tasted amazing! Then, after a day, started leaking ... wtf? Same juice, same coils, same wick, 3rd or 4th refill and driiiiip down the side of one of my boxes. More cotton? Higher VG juice? What's everyone's experience (keeping in mind that I am just starting to wrap my own coils and eager to get better)

NYCVape

Aug 30, 2016
It is a tricky one to build...the same thing happened to me on my first 2 builds then i got the hang of it...just watch a few build videos on you tube. Thats what i did and quickly learned the do's and don't for this atty.. good luck!

O
Mage and Kbox.jpg
k, got it now!

Hawaiian Nate

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
Wisconsin
Got the Mage a few months back and found it easy to build on and the flavor was AMAZING, but after 10 puffs... no flavor. Changed the builds a few times and still the same. I've been building and wicking for a couple years now so I know it's not my technique. Just don't understand how it can be AWESOME then just fall off. The tank looks good tho. Probably why I still use it now and again. Very disappointed with this IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
Wicking. It's usually about wicking if you have a good vape initially and then flavor drops. The reason it's good at the start is you have primed the wicks (I assume). On the Mage you need to make sure the juice ports are covered, but not packed too tight. take a pin and loosen the cotton up through the outside of the juice holes. Don't pack the wick in so tight it just clogs the juice "zone" inside. It is tricky because there is not much room in there. If it gets over packed it will slow the wicking and juice delivery and therefore lack in flavor.
Just my thoughts. I have 2 of these and am vaping one right now. Flavor is great if wicked correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread