Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Magma: The Best Mini in the Universe...
is the one I already have?
or
Volcano Magma: 7 month follow up to the review I never did

I tried to do this as a video review, really I did. Writing is something I normally leave to smarter people than me like Don over at the Vapingguides or Vapenstein...or Al who lives across the street...anyone really...but I couldn't get all this into a video without it becoming depressingly long. So lets get to it shall we?

This is a review of the battery and PCC not the full kit as sold by Volcano as I am using it in a different configuration.

The Battery:
2s154au.jpg

(above: Magma and PCC compared to an analog and a pack of analogs)

The Battery is 65mm long the total assembled unit, as I am using it, is no longer than 101mm's. I am using this device with cartomizers, boge 2ohm cartomizers to be exact, this will be important later but overall with the cartomizer instead of the atty/cart combo the length is smaller than a mini kr808. It is also lighter and thinner than a mini kr808, with the weight being evenly distributed throughout the device and not heavier on the battery end...this makes it nice to hold.

The Battery is rated at 180 mah. This translates into 1 hour plus a few minutes of use if I am vaping like a crazy man...which I do, it can last longer if your not constantly hitting it up. This battery is about 7 months old so a newer one may last longer but with 180 mah probably not much longer. Compared to a same length kr808 battery your loosing 40 mah...but again your getting a slightly thinner unit that is not as heavy and better balanced.

Total lifespan of this battery is expected to be the same as a kr808 of the same size...about 3-5 months, if you are lucky you may get more use out of it.

edit: I should have mentioned the battery is a 510, the only difference is that the manual version has a low profile button to fit in the pcc.
The PCC:

2qvy2dd.jpg

The PCC holds two batteries and 6 cartomizers...its nothing special but it doesn't suck it has 1000+ Mah I believe, you can get at least 5 charges out of it...honestly if I start out with two full batteries it never died before the day is up so I don't know if you can get more or not.

Holding 6 cartomizers is very cool, because honestly it doesn't matter if you have 4 days worth of battery power if you only have 30 minutes worth of juice...either way your not vaping. 6 boge cartomizers is enough juice in the pcc to get me well over a day without vaping any of them to the point of getting the burnt taste....this is important for extending the life of the cartomizer.

As you can see carrying this whole kit is not much larger than a leo (its actually a lot shorter, but larger in girth) and a bottle of juice...and its much cleaner than dripping on the go and a bit less drug addict looking.
25p30ip_th.jpg

PERFORMANCE:

Fantastic, I had to make a short short video clip for this part because if I just said "clouds of vapor" you wouldn't get it.

This thing can go puff for puff with any cartomizer mini on the market as I have it set up. The total wattage is slightly, oh so slightly, higher than a bloog maxxfusion using a bloog maxxfusion cartomizer. The taste is just as good as any cartomizer I have ever used...which is a pretty big list at this point, most important to me this thing can use any juice of any viscosity. From 100% PG to thick thick 100% VG, whatever you want to throw at it, there is no burning on these cartomizers unless you burn them dry...I covered that in my review of the Boge cartomizer itself so I will avoid repeating it here. The warmth is the same as a 510 2ohm atomizer.

Lets talk about the automatic for a minute though. The 510 automatic is one of the most maligned automatics out right now, well maybe not as bad as sound activated blu's but still.... I agreed with that assessment for a long time, with the atty/cart combo the automatic 510 is horrible, I just can't get a good drag with it and what I get isn't very satisfying. However this setup I am using works fine...notice in the above video there was no primer puffs going on, no moments where it didn't light up or where it lit up and went off..it just works like an automatic is suppose to. However the PCC will hold a manual as well if that is your thing.

Overall I find this delivers a satisfying vape as much vapor and TH as anything this side of a cisco 306 or 5v mod.

Overall:

This thing works, its small...some people may really like this. I would put this up against any other cartomizer mini on the market. The downside is I had to go to a cartomizer from a different vendor than the unit to get it to perform this well. The upside is this thing is dirt cheap compared to some other units out there. The PCC is 10 bucks the batteries are 7.99 each if you buy two. Cartomizers can be had for as cheap as 8 bucks a pack....so to get started with it your looking at all of 34 bucks plus the cost of juice?

Its not going to provide 6v TH...that is good as I don't like 6v vaping anyway.. I still use mods/egos/rivas/leos and drip around the house, of course dripping is great...but for out and about this is a fun, non messy, cheap, and more importantly well performing set up.

The best part is I already owned this thing and just didn't realize its potential :laugh:

Last edited:

JohnReagan

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2010
Florida
Excellent review. I'm not sure if 65mm is a mini or a super mini. I do know that Volcano sells re-branded Blu cigs technology that by virtue of it being a super mini never did last me more than 20 minutes with the way I vape. Their attys also went south for me very fast in comparison to a 510 atty. In 6 months I've yet to have a 510 atty die on me - expect due to human error when cleaning.

I'm not sure if the Magma is a re-branded Blu. It's true, Blu/Volcano minis are also 510 compatible. Having said that, as I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm currently going through an auto batt renaissance and haven't touched my Ego or Riva since I got a genuine Joye 510 kit from Cignot. I'm glad you're enjoying this and I'm enjoying my born again auto batts : )

Goldenkobold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Florida
magma is just a regular 510 for all intents and purposes, the only difference is that the Magma manual has a low profile button for use in the pcc. Volcano does have a blu like product called the Volcano volcano - mind you 65mm is the disassembled length with the cartomizer its no more than 101mm

edit: 101mm's may be skirting supermini territory though is there an actual definition of whats a mini and whats a super mini?

edit again: Anybody? mini? Supermini? If don can call the bloog maxx fusion a supermini I am going to start calling this a supermini.

Last edited:

JohnReagan

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2010
Florida
magma is just a regular 510 for all intents and purposes, the only difference is that the Magma manual has a low profile button for use in the pcc. Volcano does have a blu like product called the Volcano volcano - mind you 65mm is the disassembled length with the cartomizer its no more than 101mm

Ah, thank you for that clarification. I knew I might have been confused. In that case, that's a heck of product you have there indeed!

Goldenkobold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Ah, thank you for that clarification. I knew I might have been confused. In that case, that's a heck of product you have there indeed!

No problem, it gets confusing when they have a product that shares the name of the company, it gets even worse when that product is the l88 blu like product. These are probably janty I know the Inferno's are janty but its hard to tell when people rebrand everything

2vd43fk.jpg

its laser stamped JD or JP right above the automatic hole, has 4 number on that area as well.

(its nowhere near the diameter of a dime thats caused by the perspective of the camera, its the same diameter as every other mini 510 I have)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread