Magnetic Stirrer or Ulrasonic Cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manji1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2013
Dayton OH
Hey all I am looking for something to help mix and cut down steep time on large batches (1000ml or so). I have read that there has been success with this with utrasonic cleaners but I'm not quite sure what type of model I would need. Magnetic stirrer seems like it would work but I haven't found any documentation of DIYers using these for this purpose. Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions for this?

elwood2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2013
Lafayette, LA
Magnetic stirrers can only do one bottle at a time (unless you had multiple devices). I do think that the magnetic stirrer would mix better than an USC in the same amount of time. Before deciding to get an USC i did a bit of research on magnetic stirrers and you either have to buy a $100+ lab-type unit or source your own and build it yourself.

For those reasons i chose a USC and it seems to work pretty good so far.

This is the USC that i purchased as it was recommended by another member on here. It's 1 hour timer is very unique for a sub $100 unit. I will say, however, that when full it barely reaches the neck of a 30mil bottle. I've done up to 6 bottles at a time but i think you could cram at least 10 30mil bottles in there.

Last edited:

Chas_L

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2013
Buchanan Ga
I purchased this USC

Kendal Commercial Grade 220 Watts 3 liters HEATED ULTRASONIC CLEANER HB23: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

and I am very pleased with it. The only issue I have with it is that the water temperature increases fairly fast so I have found that if I want to run long cycles such as one hour or more I have to start with cold (60F) tap water and leave the heating element off . Once I get the desired mix time I turn on heating and run the UC also until desired temp. is reached then stop the UC ,leave heater on and let juices heat steep. To me it still seems that having the ejuice steep at 125F for a number of hours is the key to fast steeping.

Note : I have used up to 140F without any noticable negative effects however many swear that 125F is the safe max for steeping. Based on my results one hour at 140F equals one week at room temp.

Harlen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
Charlotte Nc
I purchased this USC

Kendal Commercial Grade 220 Watts 3 liters HEATED ULTRASONIC CLEANER HB23: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

and I am very pleased with it. The only issue I have with it is that the water temperature increases fairly fast so I have found that if I want to run long cycles such as one hour or more I have to start with cold (60F) tap water and leave the heating element off . Once I get the desired mix time I turn on heating and run the UC also until desired temp. is reached then stop the UC ,leave heater on and let juices heat steep. To me it still seems that having the ejuice steep at 125F for a number of hours is the key to fast steeping.

Note : I have used up to 140F without any noticable negative effects however many swear that 125F is the safe max for steeping. Based on my results one hour at 140F equals one week at room temp.

If making 1000 ml at a time that's what I would use
Way cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread