The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

magnets, something really weird happened today

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by vapero, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. vapero

    vapero Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Mar 13, 2013
    monterrey,mexico
    I sometimes use a magnet as a spacer on my battery to reduce the throw on my 4nine and works perfectly....

    today I set up my mod changed batteries and went out, everything was working great but I did notice that my battery was draining much quickly than usual, I just took it out and checked the voltage with a multimeter and read 1.8v!! this has never happened to me, so I took another battery placed the spacer and checked voltage, 2.2. there is when I figured that my magnet has lost its conductivity, tried again and it read 4.2v, tried my over-discharged one and 3.8v...

    what exactly happened? did the magnet lost its conductive layer because of friction? or heat?
     
  2. bussdriver

    bussdriver Super Member ECF Veteran

    Oct 17, 2013
    Clean 'em real good; maybe sand them lightly.
     
  3. The Cloud Minder

    The Cloud Minder Ultra Member ECF Veteran

    Jul 28, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I sometimes use a magnet as a spacer on my battery to reduce the throw on my 4nine and works perfectly....
    -
    If I understood what you meant by the above, maybe I could help you more, but ... electricity and magnetism are part of the same thing. Run electricity thru a coil around an iron bar and you have an electro magnet. It's possible you cretaed a condition that basically conflicted with the magnetic field of the magnet somehow.
     
  4. drunkenbatman

    drunkenbatman Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Jan 26, 2014
    It's windy, USA
    If I'm understanding -- and I'm legitimately not sure I am -- it's the heat or you got a short. When magnets get hot it can demagnetize them -- with cheaper ones (especially in some clones) this can happen faster.

    e.g., if you are soldering a magnet to something for a gadget while hanging out on rooftops, it'll lose a lot of it's magnetic charge. Any type of short can knock a magnet out hardcore, or a not-so-great connection can cause heat buildup, or an atty pin being in the wrong place, etc.
     
  5. Rickajho

    Rickajho ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    If this is one of those coated neodymium magnets that's really not a good idea to use it as a battery contact/spacer under high amp conditions. Most of them are coated with nickel (cheap ones may even be zinc coated) - to protect the magnet from oxidation breakdown - and aren't meant to be used as an electrical conductor. No idea why yours lost it's conductivity properties.
     
  6. BlkWolfMidnight

    BlkWolfMidnight Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Nov 20, 2012
    Virginia
    Has anyone ever found the electrical conductivity of magnets anyways, just curious in truth as I know they are used in high amp switches for power stations but I'm more then sure I recall when I worked with forklifts the gateway for the main power was a magnetic throw system however the magnets only pushed two copper plates together when charged.

    It would be interesting to have someone test this actually and see if different types of magnets rate on different conductivity scales. Just a though :)
     
  7. crxess

    crxess Grumpy Ole Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Dirty=dirty
    Oxidation=oxidation

    Both naturally occur and need to be attended to. Alcohol, soap and water, vinegar or fine(very fine) sand paper.

    Good luck
     
  8. drunkenbatman

    drunkenbatman Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Jan 26, 2014
    It's windy, USA
    Nog, they are. :) Though in general (as I recall) only the neodymium (rare earth) and ferrite (iron, etc) ones are -- some of the cheap fridge magnets aren't as they're ceramic. The nickel plating is to improve conductivity -- because neodymium is really prone to corrosion and _super_ brittle -- but with the magnet you automatically get negative > positive flow.

    They could, and I'd read it, but for our applications I believe it's just a selection of neodynium magnets being used of various qualities and I'm not sure how you'd go by brand names -- perhaps starting strength? By the time it reaches retail everything is a no-name removed from a larger batch (really talking industrial uses, and recently toys as the price has dropped).

    e.g., to make one of these you take the $X rare-earth elements, bake it into a disc, apply nickel coating, and at some point magnetize it along the way. If that's done cheaply or something is off with the makeup of the magnet, it'll demagnetize faster under heat (e.g., not want to direct current one way), which you'll get from buildup or a short.

    I believe you can measure the strength of the magnetic field strength with a compass... but it's a bit outside my bailiwick. :/
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice