Status
Not open for further replies.

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
After recently killing a contact, I'm getting serious about keeping my reos in good shape. I bought deoxit today from jaycar [no idea what i will use the noalax for now]

From what I gather, the process is: clean with alcohol [under a tap every few times], dry it, apply d100 to batteries and contacts, dry, apply g100 to gold contacts.

No arcing, so I'm assuming that is right. Hits well, and even seems to engage a fraction quicker than noalax.

Just looking for confirmation on that, as well as process for "in between" maintenance where with noalax it'd just be a dab every few tanks [what i gt slack with to kill aforementioned contact] Do I just dab the g100 gold every few bottles, between major cleans?

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Can I just send my 10 Reos to you for service... ;) Always enjoy video's. :thumb:

Refuse to use NoaLox, but I have finally started using my DetoxIT. I only have the G100L. My routine after I give them a bath is dry, wipe off the Reo contacts with PGA and treat them with just the G100L, let it dry. Batts get a PGA wipe and dab of Gold as well, dry. I little G100L goes a very long ways, so I get as much off the applicator brush as I can. Then in use if I notice a drop off then a very small application again to the contacts, and batts as needed. By that I mean only occasionally... I don't retreat anything unless I have a drop off, and after a bath naturally. Whether a right or wrong method it's working fine and keeps the Reos hitting hard.

Fuzzy Bruce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Fort Liquordale, Fl.
Great video, Doffy. I do use both about once a month but do tend to skip the bath. The dunking is probably going to be bi-monthly.

The only other thing I do is remove the spring screw and add the deoxit. When you remove the screw, at least on my Reos, there is a tiny bit of raw aluminum. I am sure the finish is conductive but, the raw aluminum where the spring screw head contacts is probably more so.

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Great video, Doffy. I do use both about once a month but do tend to skip the bath. The dunking is probably going to be bi-monthly.

The only other thing I do is remove the spring screw and add the deoxit. When you remove the screw, at least on my Reos, there is a tiny bit of raw aluminum. I am sure the finish is conductive but, the raw aluminum where the spring screw head contacts is probably more so.

dang, fiddly little things. I'll keep it in mind if performance drops though

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
What is PGA?

Can I just send my 10 Reos to you for service... ;) Always enjoy video's. :thumb:

Refuse to use NoaLox, but I have finally started using my DetoxIT. I only have the G100L. My routine after I give them a bath is dry, wipe off the Reo contacts with PGA and treat them with just the G100L, let it dry. Batts get a PGA wipe and dab of Gold as well, dry. I little G100L goes a very long ways, so I get as much off the applicator brush as I can. Then in use if I notice a drop off then a very small application again to the contacts, and batts as needed. By that I mean only occasionally... I don't retreat anything unless I have a drop off, and after a bath naturally. Whether a right or wrong method it's working fine and keeps the Reos hitting hard.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
Don't wait for poor performance, any mech mod not just Reo will benefit from using Deoxit. Regulated will too it just that chip hides poor performance. Deoxit lessons arcing, increases conductivity. I use it on all my mods, remotes, smoke alarms and flashlights, really anything with a battery gets it. For mods new Deoxit every cleaning and everything else on a battery change.

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Don't wait for poor performance, any mech mod not just Reo will benefit from using Deoxit. Regulated will too it just that chip hides poor performance. Deoxit lessons arcing, increases conductivity. I use it on all my mods, remotes, smoke alarms and flashlights, really anything with a battery gets it. For mods new Deoxit every cleaning and everything else on a battery change.

so every battery change you apply?

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Great thread and video! Thanks.

Have been using Naolox for years but am enticed by what I am reading about DeoxIT, plus I like having a brush for application.

I'm willing to buy the Gold and the L type but am wondering if the Gold would suffice. I do understand that the gold is more expensive but thus far I only have 2 Reos to perform regular maintenance on. Other than price, are there any downsides to using the Gold on all contacts and batteries?

Thank you, kind folks.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada

Have been using Naolox for years but am enticed by what I am reading about DeoxIT, plus I like having a brush for application.

I'm willing to buy the Gold and the L type but am wondering if the Gold would suffice. I do understand that the gold is more expensive but thus far I only have 2 Reos to perform regular maintenance on. Other than price, are there any downsides to using the Gold on all contacts and batteries?

Thank you, kind folks.

If you only had one of the product, the gold is definitely the one you would want - it protects while the other "just" cleans. I use PGA or iso-p to clean (white eraser on batteries) and gold to protect.

I find a lot of difference between vaping at .5ohm or higher versus, say, .35ohms - the latter needing much more care and attention - so bear "build aggressiveness" in mind for your maintenance regime.

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Thanks much folks. Order placed for the Gold. After the "bath" I use ISO already. I'm not presently a sub ohmer (never say never) but I have such respect for my Reos and their care. Someone taught me years ago: "if you take care of your car, your car will take care of you." I tend to expand that to other items of importance.

Again, much appreciated.

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia

Thank you, kind folks.

No downside that I've ever seen and as an ex-controls electrician I've used a lot of deoxit products. Another thing to remember, even though it's not cheap, the 2ml tube of Gold goes a looong way so don't over buy, the 7.4ml bottle with the applicator could very well last you years.

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Thanks friends. I was back and forth on the ease of the brush applicator and pen. Opted to go with the brush. I do like the tube amount being only 2 ml though. Just don't know if it would be that handy for me though. With 7 ml of it coming, guess I'll have enough to share. Keep me in mind if you get low

Have either of you tried the pen and the brush? I can always exchange.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
thanks for asking this Doffy.....I need to get some deoxit, but been using the noalox for now. In russ's video, he painted some on with the pen, then kinda wiped it off..... he said it says to remove any excess. But it seems like that would take it all off since ya don't put much on. Do y'all dab at it after applying, or just let it dry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread