Major problem with next door smoking neighbor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Hey,

I just moved to a new apartment, they are duplex apartments like a townhouse so I have two floors, each building consists of 2 units (one on the right and one on the left...I guess that part was obvious lol.) My neighbor is in APT 1 and I am in APT 2 and between our apartments is a covered/enclosed alcove with bricks and a back wall made out of I don't know what which is painted...so when you approach our building you walk into a enclosed brick alcove and either go to your right or left, depending on which APT you are going to.

So I just moved in August 1 and I knew I could smell cigarette smoke (stale smell) but I could not figure out where it was coming from as the previous tenants did not smoke, back in 2010 all the units here finished a 2 year renovation and they were the original tenants in the APT after the reno. Then I met my neighbor over the this past weekend from APT 1 out back (we also have our own kitchen back doors as well), she was out back smoking...I thought at least she smokes outside and not inside. Then it dawned on me...that's where the smell is coming from out front, she apparently smokes out front UNDER the alcove during rainy or snowy weather (our back doors have no 'cover' and the smoke has no place to escape so it penetrates the brick and the painted wall in the alcove and the smell is constantly coming into my apartment underneath my front door. So I walked out front to see if I could smell smoke and sure enough it wreaked of stale cigarette smoke, why I hadn't noticed it before I'm not really sure.

I am really upset about this and don't know what to do about it. I don't understand why she is so inconsiderate with regards to smoking underneath the alove, she can't be that dumb to not know that the smoke is penetrating into the brick and wall and also going under my front door as well, if it's raining grab an umbrella and go outside, don't stand underneath something that is going to trap the smoke and make my APT stink up...I can't take it!

So some friends suggested spraying the alove with Lysol, that doesn't help, I keep lighted candles down near my front door, that helps but hey I'm not a candle factory and can't afford to buy weekly supplies of expensive scented candles, nor do I feel it's my responsiblity to do so. I was hoping someone here had an idea of some kind of deoderizer or something I could leave outside, inside the alove to help make it smell nicer? The neighbor doesn't seem like a friendly lady (she is probably on either side of 50) and I don't think that approaching her is the best idea, I've dealt with people like this before and it always turns out not so good. I'm by no means trying to be anti-smoking on her or anything, I know how it is but I also have a right to live in a non smoking home without her cigarette smoke/smell invading my apartment!

Any suggestions on what I could use to help with the smell?:unsure: I had thought about using moth balls but then my APT would smell like moth balls...not a good idea.

Thanks!

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
No the alcove is not enclosed, you just walk up and into it from the sidewalk (so I guess it's best to say it has 3 sides with a front opening. I don't believe any apartment complex has rules about smoking, but there is such a thing called having respect for other people.

Silver...apparently she only smokes out front (where the problem is) when it's raining or snowing because her back door is not covered, so it's exposed to the elements where as the front is not, it's covered by the alcove I spoke of.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
I am really upset about this and don't know what to do about it. ...I can't take it!

Thanks!

MOVE...!!!

moving%2Btruck_medium.jpeg

Reminds me of folk moving near an airport and then ....hing about the noise. Your neighbor was there before you!
shakehead.gif

Your welcome...
popcrn.gif

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
LOL! Sorry for laughing, but we who used to smoke had no idea how offensive the smell was to non-smokers! What they say about "what goes around comes around" sometimes is not so funny when it happens to us.

You are pretty much stuck with a smoking neighbor if there are no rules about smoking outside the apartments. Your only resolution is to move to a non-smoking building if there are any or get permission to install a fan on a wall in the breezeway and plug it into one of those infrared floodlight holders that come on when you walk in front of them. You can buy screw in adapters that turn a light bulb socket into a 110vac plug-in. I'm sure they'd appreciate fresh air and cooling in warm weather. You'd just have to mount the fan on the side wall and point it where it would create a draft to clear the smoke.

Good luck with however you handle it. I wouldn't say anything to them. I'd just clear it with the superintendent, do it, and say that the hallway smelled musty and you got permission to create a breeze in the breezeway.

ETA: The ideal setup would be a hole in the back wall with the fan mounted in it. They make round ones that fit for kitchen exhaust. Good luck with getting to cut holes in the wall, though. If you are really verbally gifted, you might get the super to approve the install on his/her dime for air quality conformance. Tell him he has cigarette smoke residue in HIS alcove and you are concerned about YOUR health.

Last edited:

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
MOVE...!!!

moving%2Btruck_medium.jpeg

Reminds me of folk moving near an airport and then ....hing about the noise. Your neighbor was there before you!
shakehead.gif

Your welcome...
popcrn.gif

And you should try brushing up on your manners and people skills. Unsubscribing from this, I didn't come here for drama I came here for support and suggestions. I've reported the appropriate troll.:pop:

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
There will be all kinds of takes on a particular situation. Everyone has their own opinion. Just skim and read and take it all with a grain of salt.

Smokers generally blow off accusations from non-smokers. After all, they think it's their right to pollute the air. I did when I smoked. It was either that or walk off in isolation. Many of us grew up in a society where 75% smoked. That's flipped to less than 20% these days. I finally quit because it wasn't socially acceptable anymore and vaping is well tolerated.

SilverBear

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2009
No the alcove is not enclosed, you just walk up and into it from the sidewalk (so I guess it's best to say it has 3 sides with a front opening. I don't believe any apartment complex has rules about smoking, but there is such a thing called having respect for other people.

Silver...apparently she only smokes out front (where the problem is) when it's raining or snowing because her back door is not covered, so it's exposed to the elements where as the front is not, it's covered by the alcove I spoke of.

So... the alcove is open to the outside. Nope, not much that can be done. Unless you enlist the help of New York State who is trying to ban OUTDOOR SMOKING in parks and on beaches. OUTDOORS!!!

samazon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2012
MS
She actually probably has -no- idea that the cigarette smoke is wafting up from her alcove into your apartment.

I'd suggest striking up a conversation about it next time you see her. Be sweet, smile, tell her you used to smoke but you quit using e-cigarettes, mention that when she smokes in the alcove it penetrates into your house and that the smell is pretty terrible. You could also invest in a small fan to circulate the air/smoke under the alcove, or ask that if she does smoke under the alcove, to try and blow her smoke out rather than up.

The trick here is to be nice and casual about it.

Of course, I tried to be nice and casual when I asked my upstairs neighbors to keep their kids from running around their house after midnights on the weeknights (not going to comment on THAT parenting, but some of us have, you know, regular jobs) and the woman's exact words were "Well, maybe you should sleep on OUR schedule" before she shut the door in my face.... SO, it's not guaranteed to fix the problem, but if you're nice about it there's no reason that she should be offended and you MIGHT be able to talk her into converting to vaping - especially if you can offer to be an "accountability partner" or whatever, give her advice, etc.

saltysteve

Aug 8, 2012
ct
I don't think smoke is coming through the brick as much as it is being sucked through your door. Seal your door!! Get a really good door sweep and get the foam insulation for around the door jam. Very Gently blow some vapor around the door edges and bottom and see if you have a draft. Also you can pull the door back and forth to see if there's play. If you have either fix it!! Also I'm guessing the brick is bare inside and out?? Get some clear water sealer, like they use on decks. Maybe they have some thing special for brick and seal the out or inside. Check your other doors and windows because they can be causing the draft as well.

That's what id do first, second id maybe say that your highly allergic or something to that point and passing through e everyday is painful... Maybe she won't mind walking out if she knows it's causing you pain. Honesty goes along way even if there's a little white lie in it!! =)
Good luck

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX LIMITED EDITION using TAPATALK 2

durgidog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2012
memphis, tn
www.thomasin.com
DaveP - "LOL! Sorry for laughing, but we who used to smoke had no idea how offensive the smell was to non-smokers! What they say about 'what goes around comes around' sometimes is not so funny when it happens to us."

Samazon - "She actually probably has -no- idea that the cigarette smoke is wafting up from her alcove into your apartment.

I'd suggest striking up a conversation about it next time you see her. Be sweet, smile, tell her you used to smoke but you quit using e-cigarettes, mention that when she smokes in the alcove it penetrates into your house and that the smell is pretty terrible. You could also invest in a small fan to circulate the air/smoke under the alcove, or ask that if she does smoke under the alcove, to try and blow her smoke out rather than up.

The trick here is to be nice and casual about it."

- I agree!

durgidog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2012
memphis, tn
www.thomasin.com
OP - "The neighbor doesn't seem like a friendly lady (she is probably on either side of 50) and I don't think that approaching her is the best idea, I've dealt with people like this before and it always turns out not so good."

So, you two aren't really acquainted and you already know she's unfriendly and like others you've 'dealt with'? And what does her age have to do with the problem?

It saddens me that so frequently neighbors choose to judge one another harshly rather than reach out to one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread