Not open for further replies.

Major

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Panama City, Florida
www.ggecig.com
Hello all!

I'm sure even the casual visitor to the GG forums has seen the creator of the GG, Imeo Thanasis, is a passionate man about his creations and his friends here on ECF. Recently, in an unrelated thread, Imeo spoke of need but not his need.

His passion for the need he feels is to do our part to help feed starving children in Africa that cannot help themselves. As Imeo relayed his dream of this, he spoke of setting up a donation fund to a reliable organization. ChildFund International is one of the biggest and most reliable which was established in 1938.

They are a non-religious effort to feed and care for needy children world wide and as audited by independent sources, 81 cents of every dollar goes diorectly to the children in need. To read more about this organization, here is the link to their web site: ChildFund International .

As for the Fund itself, Imeo's idea takes into account that we all or most anyway, are having a hard time making ends meet ourselves. Most of us live from paycheck to paycheck so what Imeo proposed was simple. Even for those capable of giving more, to make this an equal partnership of caring persons here on ECF, there is a $2 dollar US maximum donation.

Each person who donates will be posted or can post their donation themselves in this thread. This post will be updated with Imeo's PayPal information. Even with tough times, I can easily see his thoughts on this. Two dollars is what we pay pay for a disposable carto which may or may not work or a plastic drip tip from a discount vendor.

We think nothing of that or at least I don't and I too have a very limited fixed income. So regardless of your take on charities or politics or anything else, this is easy for one and all. We're not asking for recurring donations but even so. With the numbers of good hearted people we have here on ECF, imagine what everyones $2 donation would mean to life of hungry children.

Thanks for reading and feel free to offer your comments or to send a PM with questions or suggestions. The holidays are just around the corner so let's get in the spirit by helping feed a child that would not otherwise get fed. We can't save the whole world but we can, with the combined power of our numbers, make a difference for some of its children! :)

EDIT: Here is Imeo's PayPal information: raptis@netone.gr . We also will be providing totals and donation totals as we progress.

Last edited:

RippleInStillWater

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Land Of Corruption
I know this sounds cruel and heartless, especially from me, but I just don't know if helping feed the world is a good idea. We have children here suffering badly, our social services should be seriously revamped, and the overpopulation of the globe should not be encouraged. There is no hope for kids in some of the third world countries, their countries cannot and will never produce the food needed for their present people, let alone as the population expands. At some point we are helping perpetuate a vicious circle of living off of handouts of countries and sympathetic persons who cannot afford it anymore. I'll donate as its what is the right thing to do (there's kids involved!) but it is not what I believe is the correct action to take.........logic is not always humane, but I fear for the planet, the big picture as it were..........

Major

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Panama City, Florida
www.ggecig.com
No problem Ripple. I thank you for being a man of conviction and saying your position openly. No one can fault a man for having a different view and most especially when one is willing to speak it openly as you have done.

Thank you my friend! And if I may, I share many fears as well for the future of mankind. One consolation for me is that this group operates in all countries including ours to help the children in need. :)

Last edited:

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
We try for 2 things Ripple

1. To help people
2. To help people that need more things than our kids. At least in our countries there is a doctor when you need him. To those countries there is not even food to fill their stomach. This pic will remind you the reality buddy. The condor is waiting for the child to die so it can have its launch. Can you imagine what is happenning? One day we all have to go there to understand

http://www.snopes.com/photos/people/kevincarter.asp

child africa.jpg

Last edited:

Major

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Panama City, Florida
www.ggecig.com
We try for 2 things Ripple

1. To help people
2. To help people that need more things than our kids. At least in our countries there is a doctor when you need him. To those countries there is not even food to fill their stomach. This pic will remind you the reality buddy. The condor is waiting for the child to die so it can have its launch. Can you imagine what is happenning? One day we all have to go there to understand

snopes.com: Kevin Carter

View attachment 55784

OMG I had somehow never seen the picture Kevin Carter took. If that doesn't put things in perspective, nothing will. We can't save the world but we can offer help where there would otherwise be none.

zuTma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2010
Croatia, Zagreb
OMG I had somehow never seen the picture Kevin Carter took. If that doesn't put things in perspective, nothing will. We can't save the world but we can offer help where there would otherwise be none.

There is good movie about photographs and Kevin Carter and his famous picture. It is called "The Bang bang club"

Major

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Panama City, Florida
www.ggecig.com
Thank you Dream for the kind words. I must say that so far it is a bit disappointing that only 9 people have donated. Imeo does not ask for much of anything from his people and he made the doantion amount 2 dollars only so many could afford to help.

This is not about politics or religion or anything that is distasteful. It is Imeo's wish that we provide some help to children, not adults, but children that cannot help themselves. Imeo only wants to see that a respectable donation can be made to help feed a few of them.

Please, take a moment and consider this. Two dollars isn't much to any of us but is a huge amount to those in need. Even if you do not want to do it for personal reasons, consider it a small token of appreciation for Imeo. If this were for Imeo himself, we would have 10 times this amount by now. It actually is for Imeo though.

It is his dream and his wish and the only thing he has asked of so many he has helped. I also have sent the required paperwork to request this be moved to the General ECF forums but have gotten no response back. If any of you that read this can assist in getting it moved, please PM me.

Thanks everyone! :)

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
I kind of agree with Ripple. I don't think we need to let them starve, but overpopulation is a very real issue that is not currently being properly dealt with. That having been said, I did donate. While overpopulation may be an issue, I can't in good conscience NOT help someone if I have the capacity to do so. After all, it isn't that child's fault that their birth actually increased the burden. For that matter I am pretty sure the US has an overpopulation issue, and as such MY birth added to that burden...

Major

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Panama City, Florida
www.ggecig.com
Thanks kcos and Dalton! And I have to agre with you Dalton. It is easy to blur the line between facts and emotions on topics like these children. But as my good friend Ripple said as did you, there is a real issue with over population that isn't being addressed world wide.

And you also correctly stated the cold hard fact to that they didn't ask to be brought into the world anymore than any of us did. For me, that is the factual line between whether to ignore them or to try and ease their suffering a little becomes clear. I can't and wont allow an animal to suffer and certainly not the children. We can't change the world but we can try to leave it having done as much good as we can. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread