Making my own case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgood1971

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2010
WV
Hi all,

I have a battery that I want to build a case around. I am looking for ideas on clay like substances that can be molded, and shaped to my desire. Once solidified they can be sanded, painted, tapped, drilled, etc.

If you have any links to how-to's for for crafting things of this nature that would be great. Like do I need to build a frame out of some other material first and so on.

Basically any ideas you have would be awesome.

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
Epoxy putty! There's different types (each with it's own "work time" and hardness/properties). It can be drilled and sanded once set up/cured.

It's easy to work with (like playdough, just slightly sticky so keep a bowl of water on hand and wet your fingertips if needed).

For shaping, you could just make a big blob and then drill/sand it as needed but this way will take longer to dry and will waste more. I'd suggest starting with something that's approxiamately the size/shape you want hollow inside and then coat it with putty. Depending upon the shape you want you might just use a hunk of tin foil, or wax paper wrapped old batteries, or pieces of appropriately sized pipe, or....???

Here's some example "how-to's": Hirst Arts Sculpting Page Keep in mind that some of the examples are using a "bake to set" type putty.

And here's some info on different types:
The Compleat Sculptor - Quik Epoxy Page
(click "more info" under each type to see work time and strength info)

And another link for info:
EpoxyGator.com - Epoxy Putty Repair Sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread