Status
Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I didn't take a really thorough look at prices, but so far what I'm seeing is if you were to buy even just 10ct packs of stuff for mixing by weight (syringes, blunt needles, pipettes, etc),you're looking at spending about the same in initial investment as you would on a 0.01g resolution scale.

From what I'm seeing, you have to spend a minimum of $15-25 (including shipping) to start mixing by volume.

You can buy a working scale for that. I only mentioned the $40 LB-501 because it seems to be the most popular scale on ECF, and I have it and I'm happy with it. But if you search the internet and ECF, you'll find people are using $10-$30 scales.

Let's use what I believe are ultra conservative prices based on what I've seen so far...let's say you get...

Pack of various syringes - $5
    Pack of various blunt needles - $5
    Pack of pipettes - $5
    Maybe a graduated cylinder - $3
    Shipping $4

We're already at $22

Where's the savings to use on flavors etc.?

I'm not advocating for either method, but I don't see the initial investment savings argument for mixing by volume.

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: Przemix

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    First pic shows the supplies I use to make my DIY batches by volume, using my own method:

1) Syringes shown cost me $.20-.35 each, and each 1 lasts about a year, or longer. They last because you don't even use the plunger that comes with them. So there's nothing to wear out or become brittle. You don't even really need all those sizes though. I just prefer them. I usually only use 2 of them, when making DIY, depending on what amounts of flavorings I'll be measuring.

2) The syringe tip covers (along the bottom of the pic), cost $.05-.25 each, depending on which type someone prefers. Again, each 1 lasts a year or more. I've been using the ones shown for almost 2 years already.

3) The bottles, that I use for my "marked mix bottles"...were bought in very large quantity from a US plastics manufacturer, because I share them with many other people, too. They cost me $.10 each for the 125mL ones and $.12 each for the 30mL ones, including shipping them to me. I handwash them, and they're reusable over and over again. However, any plastic or glass bottle can be marked (explained further down) and used as a "mix bottle". New, specific bottles don't have to be purchased.

Pic1.jpg

Bottles #1 and #2 are used to make my own DIY, at a finished PG/VG ratio of 40/60. So, bottle #1 is marked on the front, for a 100mL batch at 40/60, and on the backside for making a 50mL batch at 40/60. Bottle #2 is marked on the front, for a 30mL batch at 40/60, and on the backside for a 15mL batch at 40/60.

The syringes will have the plunger removed (shown in the pic below), tip cap put on the tip, and will be used simply as miniature graduated cylinders. The flavorings and nic base will be just dripped/squirted/poured into the syringes to the specific amount needed...one at a time...and then poured into the mix bottle. Any plain PG and plain VG in the recipe won't have to be measured with a syringe at all though! Each will be just squirted or poured into the mix bottle.

Pic2.jpg

Oops! I just noticed I forgot that on Bottle #1 in the pic...that is a bottle marked on that side for doing DIY for a friend at her ratio...not my 50mL 40/60 batch markings.

Here's how I make any size batch of my own DIY at a finished ratio of 40PG/60VG, once I've chosen the mix bottle to use for the amount I want to make (15mL, 30mL, 50mL, or 100mL):

1.) I drip/squirt/pour each flavoring (in a PG base), 1 at a time, into 1 of the syringes to the amount specified in the recipe, and then pour it into the mix bottle.
    2.) Because my nic base is in a VG base...I don't add it to the bottle yet. (If it were in a PG base, I would though.)
    3.) I squirt or pour plain PG into the mix bottle up to the line at the 40 mark.
    4.) I drip/squirt/pour my nic base in VG into a syringe to measure the appropriate amount, and then add it to the mix bottle.
    5.) Last, I squirt or pour plain VG up to the line at the 60 mark.

That's it....cap the bottle and give it a good shake.

Bottle #3 is the 1 I use when I make 100mL or 50mL of DIY for a friend who vapes eliquid at a finished ratio of 70PG/30VG. That's why the bottles I use to make hers are marked specifically for the 70/30. I follow the same 5 steps above to make hers. I also have a smaller bottle marked for her ratio also, to use when making her a 30mL or 15mL batch.

It doesn't matter what PG/VG ratio anyone wants their DIY to be, because it's easy to figure out where the markings should be, and then mark the "mix bottles" accordingly. When I've helped someone learn how to mix by volume this way...I usually just go ahead and mark a few bottles for them, once I know their finished ratio.

It's really an easy-peasy way to mix, is very inexpensive as far as supplies needed, and the minimal clean-up when finished is a breeze.

A hint though - To make the markings on the bottles last a long time...cover the marking area with a piece of clear packing tape.

ETA: If anyone is genuinely interested in trying my method, please PM me. I can point you in the right directions for the supplies I've used to do it, at the lowest possible cost.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    Been using your method since I started mixing @JCinFLA with just a few revisions to make it even easier on myself (one handed mixing now) I premix my nic with my PG in a marked measurements 16oz bottle so I don't have to add nic later and use a silicone funnel for no mess pouring. I make 200ml of my ADV at a time mixed right in the marked 250ml glass bottle I store it in. I have smaller marked plastic bottles for trail flavor mixes. I use glass medicine droppers to measure flavors.

• Winner
    Reactions: JCinFLA

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    I didn't take a really thorough look at prices, but so far what I'm seeing is if you were to buy even just 10ct packs of stuff for mixing by weight (syringes, blunt needles, pipettes, etc),you're looking at spending about the same in initial investment as you would on a 0.01g resolution scale.

From what I'm seeing, you have to spend a minimum of $15-25 (including shipping) to start mixing by volume.

You can buy a working scale for that. I only mentioned the $40 LB-501 because it seems to be the most popular scale on ECF, and I have it and I'm happy with it. But if you search the internet and ECF, you'll find people are using $10-$30 scales.

Let's use what I believe are ultra conservative prices based on what I've seen so far...let's say you get...

Pack of pipettes - $5
    Shipping $4

We're already at $22

I'm not advocating for either method, but I don't see the initial investment savings argument for mixing by volume.

What's the all-in initial investment (+shipping) for the first-time DIYer who has none of the below?

The scale is just one part... you still need something to put the mixture in. I mix by volume and the cost was very minimal to start, under $10, and honestly it's really a matter of what the mixer finds easiest and is comfortable with. I don't feel one method is better than the other. I mix one handed and volume works best for me, yes, I have a scale.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

Pack of pipettes - $5
    Shipping $4

We're already at $22

Some will make the Argument that the Only Real Benefit of a Scale is for Measuring Flavorings/Sweeteners. Because Measuring VG or PG or Nicotine Base to a 0.01 Gram Resolution is Overkill in the Extreme.

There is also the concept that even if you use a Scale, you are going to Need some means to get Flavorings/Sweetener out of their containers if they are not in Dropper Bottles.

So you might Not need a Syringe/Pipette/Eyedropper to make a the Actual Measurement, but you might need one to get a Flavoring/Sweetener from Point "A" to Point "B".

Same with a Graduated Cylinder. Many find it Easier to work with a Graduated Cylinder than to be Pouring over onto a Scale. And since 0.01g accuracy Isn't needed for VG/PG/Nic Base, they just use Graduated Cylinder. Or maybe Tape Mark Lines on the Side of a Bottle when making say "Pre-Mix".

Lots of Way to Skin the DIY Cat. No Way is really Better than Another if the Person doing the Mixes is Happy. And their mixes Taste the Same from One Batch to Another.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    What's the all-in initial investment (+shipping) for the first-time DIYer who has none of the below?

The price range for the syringes and the tip caps is a good guide for their cost. As far as bottles to use...some that people already have could work, once they're marked.

There's no definite figure I can give you, because it would depend on: 1) the quantity and the sizes of syringes they'd want 2) what type and how many of the tip caps they'd want, and 3) the quantity, type, and size of the bottles they'd like, if they don't have any at home already that could be marked.

When I've helped people learn my method, and they've gotten supplies like shown in my pics....it's cost them maybe $6-8 at the most, including shipping. But that would include at least several more bottles, too. Also, the supplies are reusable and last a long time. So the cost per year would be even less.

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: YoursTruli

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Some will make the Argument that the Only Real Benefit of a Scale is for Measuring Flavorings/Sweeteners. Because Measuring VG or PG or Nicotine Base to a 0.01 Gram Resolution is Overkill in the Extreme.

There is also the concept that even if you use a Scale, you are going to Need some means to get Flavorings/Sweetener out of their containers if they are not in Dropper Bottles.

So you might Not need a Syringe/Pipette/Eyedropper to make a the Actual Measurement, but you might need one to get a Flavoring/Sweetener from Point "A" to Point "B".

Same with a Graduated Cylinder. Many find it Easier to work with a Graduated Cylinder than to be Pouring over onto a Scale. And since 0.01g accuracy Isn't needed for VG/PG/Nic Base, they just use Graduated Cylinder. Or maybe Tape Mark Lines on the Side of a Bottle when making say "Pre-Mix".

Lots of Way to Skin the DIY Cat. No Way is really Better than Another if the Person doing the Mixes is Happy. And their mixes Taste the Same from One Batch to Another.

I'm not debating anything here expect the assertion that a first-time DIYer can save money on the initial DIY equipment expense (and use that savings for other things) by purchasing volume-mixing supplies over weight-mixing supplies.

Just waiting for hard figures and links to back that assertion up as that would be a big help to future readers of this thread. Because since I don't buy volume mixing supplies, I would not be the best person to find the best prices on such equipment. Whereas someone who does would be a better source.

But from what I'm seeing, the savings on initial $$$ outlay of volume vs weight supplies is either non-existent or negligible.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I'm not debating anything here expect the assertion that a first-time DIYer can save money on the initial DIY equipment expense (and use that savings for other things) by purchasing volume-mixing supplies over weight-mixing supplies.

Just waiting for hard figures and links to back that assertion up as that would be a big help to future readers of this thread. Because since I don't buy volume mixing supplies, I would not be the best person to find the best prices on such equipment. Whereas someone who does would be a better source.

But from what I'm seeing, the savings on initial $$$ outlay of volume vs weight supplies is either non-existent or negligible.

JMO...

No matter how you do DIY, there are just some things you need. And IMO, you are going to spend about the Same for these things whether you do by Weight or by Volume.

But by Weight you do need a Scale. And if you are going to get a Scale, you might was well get a Decent One. So that is why I would say that the Start Up cost will be Slightly Higher if you go the by Weight Route. Verses going the by Volume method.

40 or 50 Bucks in the Grand Scheme of things Isn't exactly a Back Breaker. But if Money is tight right now, I would rather see someone spend their cash on More Nicotine. Or More Packs of Coil Heads. Or maybe another RTA.

Because you will Always be able to Buy a Scale off amazon. But that other stuff, well, You Might Not.

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: YoursTruli

cathym312

Apr 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Just to add my 2 cents, when I first started looking into diy and started watching videos about it the whole process seemed scary and intimidating, especially mixing by weight. I eventually hooked up with JC and she talked me through the process and helped me buy supplies and get set up with mixing by volume. I couldn’t tell you the initial cost, but it was way less than what I was spending on commercial liquid. I have been doing it now for about 1 1/2 years and it I think it’s as quick and easy as can be.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Why is this thread slowly turning into a list of testimonials?

No one is questioning anyone else's integrity or helpfulness here. Yet my request remains unanswered.

Also, who is questioning that DIY Eliquid is cheaper than buying factory-made eliquid? No one, nor is that what this thread is about.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    OK, for those who want to DIY by volume using syringes, I found what appears to be an excellent deal on a sampling of different syringes with blunt needles w/covers on Ebay.

15pcs Syringes 20ml 10ml 5ml 3ml 1ml & 15pcs Blunt Tip Needles + 15pcs-Sterile 673257694744 | eBay

<$8 shipped from TN, USA

5 - 14 gauge Blunt Tip x 1 inch Needle x 5 with cover
    5 - 18 gauge Blunt Tip x 1 inch Needles x 5 with cover
    5 - 23 gauge Blunt Tip x 1 inch Needles x 5 with cover

3 - 20 ML Global Syringes Luer Lock
    3 - 10 ML Global Syringes Luer Lock
    3 - 3 ML Global Syringes Luer Lock
    3 - 1 ML Global Syringes Luer Lock

Reactions: Przemix

Przemix

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2021
    cheaper 0.01g

500g x 0.01g Digital Pocket Scale High Precision Gold Jewelry Medicine Reloading
    500g x 0.01g Digital Pocket Scale High Precision Gold Jewelry Medicine Reloading | eBay

or
    better brand 0.01g

pro nice quality scale which masters are using to mix the American Weigh Scale (AWS) LB-501 scale
    https://www.amazon.com/American-Wei...ywords=AWS+scale+LB-501&qid=1622562604&sr=8-2

i bought the cheaper one for now because im short on money since i ordered a lot pg vg and nicotine. and reviews for cheap one were stunning on ebay not even 1 bad review so i fell for that one since its 0.01G

Przemix

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2021
    quick qestion for you guys,

If I decide to make like 5 bottles of 120 ml juice 50/50 mix and 3 mg nicotine and lets say pomegranate +mango flavor or white peach

or same 5 bottles of 120 ml 50/50 mix 3 mg nicotine and and only menthol, pepper mint cool blast flavor juice

and shove it to a freezer, it will not loose its taste or flavor after few months?
    is mint, menthol, pepper mint flavor becomes solid in - freezer temp or something since its a crystal ?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread