making the jump

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddy611

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
Chicago, IL USA
and making my own liquids. ive been reading a lot about this topic, still confuse about it. but i know that im gonna try faerie's finest flavoring and xtreme vaping PG/VG liquids. got a couple of questions, please bare with me:
1.) PG/VG, which is the "best" in DIY liquids?
2.) lets say im making 30ml 0mg of coffee, how many milliliters do i need for VG/PG and how many milliliters of coffee flavoring?
3.) how do you find out the nic strength?
4.) 15ml VG/PG and 15ml 24mg nic juice, does that come out to 12mg level???

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
Hi ddy611! DIY is very addicting so be forewarned! LOL The best thing to do before you get started is read all the "Sticky" threads in this forum. Most of your questions will be answered and then you'll know what you don't know. LOL If you're like me, though, you'll have to ask anyway because it takes reading something several different ways before it sticks.

You'll also find a juice calculator that's great for giving you the % and even a recipe thread! Be sure to start with small batches and let your creation sit for a day or so before thinking it needs more flavor. It takes some time for it to "ripen" and some flavors almost double in strength after a few days.

Good luck and have fun!!! :)

Since I'm also new to DIY I'll let the pros answer your questions.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
... sure beats algebra doesn't it? ;)

You mean my notebook, calculator, and Dan's excel spreadsheet on my table while mixing is too much?

Shucks :p

Seriously, you can do it anyway you want. Just have to be mindful of the nic content and you'll be fine.

I really do have all those things going on my table when I am mixing...

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
You mean my notebook, calculator, and Dan's excel spreadsheet on my table while mixing is too much?

Shucks :p

Seriously, you can do it anyway you want. Just have to be mindful of the nic content and you'll be fine.

I really do have all those things going on my table when I am mixing...

I start with 50mg and cut it down to 25mg at various concentrations of PG/VG. I vape at 18-24 mg so even if I would add 20% flavouring to my "base" mix, my nic will be around 20mg.

Pay attention class ;)
(mg1x%)=X (mg1-X)=mg2 or
25x0.20=5 25-5=20mg

Saves in a lot of farting around, for nothing IMHO. BTW I don't have a problem mixing liquids as I do it @ my computer desk :D and Dan's spreadsheet is up on the PC for the complicated stuff. Like replicating a 3ml recipe into a large one, with 4-5 flavours in it.

Last edited:

ddy611

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
Chicago, IL USA
Yes, you can do whatever you like, I use 70% VG 30% PG most of the time. You can use 100% PG or 100% VG also. I get a little heartburn for some reason if I use too much PG, that's why I do 70/30, plus I like the vapor produced at this ratio.

thanks garyd. so 70/30 produces a lot of vapor8-o i like that:D:)

Ast_Isis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
If you are new to DIY and chemistry in general, I would suggest nothing over 60mg/ml nic liquid. I also suggest you get it mixed in PG not VG. VG is thick and rather difficult to work with.

I take my 60mg/ml then cut it to 10mg/ml in a 30/70 VG/PG mix.

30mls of 60mg/ml cut to 18mg/ml makes 100mls of liquid (minus flavoring)

ddy611

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
Chicago, IL USA
Ok, you all are math wizards and I suck at it. I have a 6mg liquid that I want to up the nic level to 12mg. I have 24mg unflavored. How much would I use to make 15ml of 6 mg into 12mg/ml?

so you have 6mg nic and 24mg nic. and you want to cut down the nic level to 12. is that right???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread