Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Hello all. I have been out of the vaping scene for a little bit. Right now, I mainly use my iStick 20 with a Kayfun clone and single coil build, and a Joyetech eGrip CLR using the CLR coils. I typically like mouth to lung hits and don't like very hot vapes or go for clouds, I just like good flavor and consistency. I was thinking about picking up a TC device now that they are pretty affordable, except I'm not sure if it's as easy as just getting the device and a tank or coils for it. I have 2 Subtanks, so I was thinking I could just get the TC mod and the Subtank nickel coils and I would be set.

So basically, is this TC stuff pretty finicky or annoying/weird to use or is it pretty foolproof now? I don't really want to mess with it too much nor am I interested in rebuilding. Originally I was just going to buy some more CLR and Subtank coils (reg version) but I'm wondering if this would be a better option for me and a nice upgrade. I mean.. my iStick 20 is pretty dated but I've been ok with it. Just kinda want something new and better I guess.. but only if its worth it and not troublesome to use! I think I may go for the Presa Wismec TC mod or the Koopor Mini 60w TC if I do end up going TC.

Thanks any advice appreciated.

Imperialchugger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2015
River End
Im not an expert on TC atm, but from what I know diff chips have diff modes of TC. Im using a xcube2 for tc atm and works fine on titanium. havent tried on nickel yet due to concerns. great thing abt tc is not having dry hits and the tank not heating up like a stove. you could get a tc to play around with and switch back to normal wattage mode if you want to stick to kanthal.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I'd suggest doing some research but then again you may get lucky. There are a BUNCH of TC mods on the market and more being introduced monthly.

While you'll have to explore a few models 'threads' here on ECF, it seems that some work better than others and some are more finicky then others.

Then there's the "toppers" and atomizers/coils. Some have to much static (or not so static) resistance to work well with TC. While many users have issues with store bought atomizers/coils who's to say there is not an equal or larger number that don't have any issues at all?

When I first started TC vaping I bought three tanks: Subtank-mini, Atlantis2 and Lemo2. The store bought atomizers/coils for the STM and Atlantis2 worked well for me. Both have adjustable air flow which can be more/less set to suit a M2L user. While the Lemo2's air flow can be adjusted all the way OFF, it is a true RTA requiring the user to make and wick their own coils. The STM comes with a RBA deck which if you want to get the most out of the tank in TC mode it is suggested that you venture into making your own coils for it.

When it comes to mods you can spend alot or a little. On the low end I'd suggest a iStick TC40, I use mine almost daily. Its simple, inexpensive and just works. If you want a replaceable battery mod I'd suggest an IPV D2. Bare bones, no thrills but just works. If you want something more advanced and have a bit more cash to spend I'd highly recommend the Apollo Reliant. While its added ability to manually set the wire's TCR value adds complication, the mod 'just works' and is one of the least expensive currently on the market with this ability.

I'm sure others will jump in with their recommendations and favorites so you'll likely to soon have lots of good information to read.

Tol

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    NY
    I got my D2 about 2 weeks ago, and using it for TC. So far it works very well, I don't have any complaints. Like GeorgeS said, it's a no thrills mod that just works. It has been great in Power, Ni, or Ti modes. There are other mods out there which might be better at some things, but for $40 I am happy as hell with mine.

Innokin is also making a new ATC (Advanced Temperature Control) mod, which does not use a standard 510, but it has an actual temp sensor rather than using resistance changes to approximate the temp like the current TC mods do. Something to look into anyway. If it works well enough, others will follow suit and we might see some other toppers besides 510 connections start rolling around. Who knows about that at this point, but I think it's cool they are doing it. Innokin Disrupter TC, I believe will be the name of it.

Kyi

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Hm, I really want to make the jump since it's obvious that vaping is heading that direction and not slowing down anytime soon. I am a bit torn though. The supposed "health" issues with vaping the titanium and nickel wire concern me a little. Although, it's probably not as bad as smoking a cigarette so I'm not like super iffy about it.

Second, what happens if you accidently fire the TC mod with kanthal wire and fire nickel/titanium wire in vw/vv mode?? I'm scared I'll accidently do something like that on accident. I suppose since this would be my only TC mod, I will just have to make sure it stays in TC mode and don't use anything but the appropriate coils or tank.

Another thing I don't understand is all this 'locking in' the resistance and stuff. I mean, is it any different than just keeping your setting the same on a VW device? Is it more specific?? I just feel like I really want to try it but I have some anxiety about using it. Like everything has to be super specific or else something will go horribly wrong. And can someone explain why dry burning the TC wires don't burn cotton? Does it just not get hot enough or does the device somehow sense moisture level? And whats this I hear about room temperature settings and lock in? It starts to sound confusing and complicated when I think about having to make sure all these settings are right. Sorry, I haven't much clue on temperature control mods at all! I have read a bit here and there but I'm still a bit wary.

I feel like a noob all over again haha. But at the end, I am just looking for a small, affordable (under $50) mod that works well and won't make me regret trying TC out. I'm also wondering if I should just get Subtank Ni coils or try a different tank/coil setup altogether. Unless there's something way better, I will prob just buy the coils as it's cheaper and I already have 2 subtanks. I am also not interested in rebuilding so I just need something that works.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    While my personal belief is that most of the concerns with Ni and Ti wire are over blown
    or unfounded, if you take issue with ether of them then you'll need a mod that has TCR
    adjustment and make your own SS or <insert type of wire here>.

Many/most mods have a lower limit on the resistance it will fire at. In most cases the TC
    mode is lower than VW mode (most, if not all these mods no longer have a "VV" mode). When a TC
    wire is fired in VW mode an almost 'infinite loop' is possible.

If the coil is say 0.25ohms when cold and you push 10W into it the coil will indeed heat up and
    the resistance will go up as the coil heats up. A higher resistance will require a higher voltage
    to have the same wattage so the mod will increase the voltage. The coil will get hotter and hence
    have a higher resistance.....you see where this is going right?

Ohms Law Calculator

Both the iStick TC40 and the IPV D2 are great little TC mods that also do VW. While with ether (or any inexpensive mod without a adjustable TCR value) the TC wire choices are Ti and Ni unless your attempting to use a temperature offset for another wire type (not a very good introduction to TC IMHO).

When it comes to vaping I've found that I need to accept that some of my purchases are going to be "duds" that did not work out for me.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Hm, I really want to make the jump since it's obvious that vaping is heading that direction and not slowing down anytime soon. I am a bit torn though. The supposed "health" issues with vaping the titanium and nickel wire concern me a little. Although, it's probably not as bad as smoking a cigarette so I'm not like super iffy about it.

One thing I would ask Myself if I was in the market for a TC Mod is what Exactly do I want it to do for Me?

Am I Unsatisfied with what I have Now?
    Am I getting Dry Hits right now? And I want TC to Stop it.
    Am I Constantly trying to "Push" the Watts to the Maximum?

I'm not trying to Talk you Out of buying a TC Mod. I'm also not Suggesting that you Should get a TC Mod. If you are going to buy a New Mod anyway, I would Definitely suggest that you get one that can do TC.

Eric Auer

ECF Veteran
    Dec 14, 2014
    PA
    I have no Idea if there are any SS blister pack coils out there, But SS usually works just fine in Mods that only TC NI and TI.

You just have to mess with it, I use TI mode on a Cloupor mini+ at 240F on a 1.0 ohm SS430 coil in a Kraken.

Great Mouth to Lung.

I would think there would be more SS disposable coils in the future for non-builders.

Eric

Kyi

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    I bought the Wismec Presa 75w TC last night so I will have a TC mod in a week or so. I wouldn't say I am unsatisfied with what I have now, but for someone who has been vaping for 5 years and spent way too much money on random tanks, mods, upgrades, coils, rebuildable stuff, just seems I ought to have a better main setup than my iStick 20w with a Kayfun clone and vaping at 10 watts. Oh and yea I have an eGrip OLED CLR and a Coolfire 4 that I use in my rotation, but also have a dozen other retired mods that I don't use. I have a few RBAs but I realized I am just not a rebuilder, I can't seem to get consistent coils and wicking, and I just don't have the patience to try a hundred times to get it right. Which is why I just stick to a single coil Kayfun when I do rebuild. I like my subtanks but since I like mouth to lung hits, the OCC coils always have that spit back and way too harsh for me. And even the single hole airflow on the subtank is still too much air for me. I can still adjust it to what I like but the current coils (I think the original v1 OCC coils) just aren't doing it for me.

I figureed a TC mod to future proof myself and trying out some TC coils could be the answer I am looking for. Dry hits isn't a big issue for me since I don't vape very hot or take huge rips. But I am looking for a more quality vape, something that doesn't burn my throat or feel too hot and more consistency. I guess I just really want to try TC but I am worried I'll be underwhelmed or run into a bunch of issues and get annoyed and not go further with it. But yea.. the mod is already ordered.

I've been trying to find as much info as I can about vaping nickel coils as I have a slight nickel allergy. I have found a lot of unsure and contradictory information but my general feeling going forward is that it's probably fine and that I have probably vaped some form of nickel variation/mixture in other coils and if I experience any discomfort or issues then I will just stop.

Reactions: zoiDman
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread