Making your own nicotine e-liquid with Copenhagen Pouches

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrispare

Oct 21, 2010
Berkeley, CA
***IMPORTANT*** Anything I write should be considered an opinion, NOT a suggestion. I am not a chemist, nor have I had any official schooling on this subject. These opinions are derived simply from scouting the interent for relevant info and my personal experiments. I have not experienced any negative effects from the use of this recipe, though if you attempt this and something happens, DO NOT SUE ME, I am NOT liable for your choices.

I have not found a single site describing this technique. Every DIY (do it yourself) site only explains how to "cut" the e-liquid you buy premixed with either PG or VG or both. This does not help with the cost as much as most people think and is not easier.

I was a smoker and a dipper for quite a while. I've tried a ton of different "tobacco flavored" e-liquids that just didn't do it for me. I've found there are a lot of people out there that feel the same. After investigating how to create my own, I bought all the supplies I needed and am very happy with the results so far. Also, it doesn't make sense for someone who is trying to save money on e-juice to buy the nicotine blend when you could make your own for sooooooo much cheaper. Of course, the drawback from my backwoods home juice is that I can't tell what the mg content of nicotine is. The below recipe tastes like a 15-20mg blend (I expect it to get stronger the longer the pouches soak).

For those interested, here is a breakdown of what I bought:

>6oz Pure Glycerin USP (CVS brand) $5
(you could use Propylene Glycol as well. see bottom of this post for differences)
>1 can (includes 14 pouches) Copenhagen Pouches Original Flavor $6
>2oz Food Grade Flavor Extracts-set of 4 (faerie'sfinest.com) $14 + ship
>1oz Amber Glass Dropper Bottles-set of 6 (abundanthealth4u.com) $4 + ship
(I did buy a bunch of other things, but these are the essentials for what I am doing here)
Total came to roughly $40 after shipping

With only these supplies, I will be able to make a base amount of just over 6oz (180ml) of e-juice. If purchased online, this would cost anywhere between $60-$100+. You do the math. In addition, for just under $12, I will be able to make another 6oz every time I run out of the 6oz I just made (until the initial 8oz of flavors runs out or forever if I don't want to add any flavor) and I won't have to wait for it to come in the mail.

Here's what I did:
I put 2 pouches in a 1oz dropper bottle and filled it with the VG. Let it sit, shake occasionally. In a 5ml plastic dropper bottle (recycled from previous e-juice) I mixed the Copenhagen/VG blend (75%) with a flavor (25%).

END RESULT: Great flavor of tobacco, Great throat hit, I can't really taste the added flavor (will soon be creating a PG/VG blend to see if I can balance the properties of both).

Propylene Glycol (PG) typically will give you a better base if you are looking to enhance the flavor you use in your e-liquid.
Vegetable Glycerin (VG) is expected to enhance the amount of vapor and "throat hit" you experience.

I hope this was informative for anyone who read it.
Contact me for further details or questions.

GREAT Article!! It would be interesting to find some way to test the strength content besides taste - Potentially one could do the same with cigarettes, then not have to fight to find their old brand's flavor - could go straight to the source!!
i dont think that would really help get rid of the chemicals that most of us are trying to get away from, and you may as well just keep smoking ??? or am i wrong?

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Interesting post, but I'm not sure I understand the point. Bear with me.

Seems that with all the added chemicals you get this way vs purchased nic juice, you could just as well use the pouches (dip) and just vape VG with flavors. At least then, you'd inhale less of the unwanted chemicals since you spit (I don't chew, so I'm not sure of the Copenhagen Pouches. Maybe they are a snuss?)

Either way, seems like it would be even more cost effective/efficient to just chew/spit & vape flavored 0nic vg.

Why go through the hassle of the juice prep? I must be missing something. Please explain. Thx.

kushka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Marietta, GA
Organic farmers in the us have been doing the same since 1992 since they took 40% nicotine concentrate off the market in the US as being too dangerous. They just soak cigarettes butts in water until it is a light tea color and spray - makes a great insecticide and since it dissipates so rapidly it is one of the few insecticides approved for organic gardening. I would caution that if you do not test the strength before you use it you be extremely cautious vaping - Remember 60mg of nicotine will kill a man.

chrispare

Oct 21, 2010
Berkeley, CA
Thanks for your replies, I checked out the suggested pages... I personally don't care what the nicotine content is as long as the juice produces vapor that I enjoy. If it's too strong, I dilute it by adding more pure PG or VG. Not strong enough, I add more of the nicotine blend. Simple as that. The guy who added an apple and vodka to his concoction and ended up with a large quantity after over a week... well he tried and it may have worked for him, but that just seems like a huge pain in the .....

Copenhagen Pouches
Ingredients

* Water
* Tobacco
* Salt (Sodium Chloride)
* Pouch Materials
* Natural and Artificial Flavors
* Sodium Carbonate
* Ethyl Alcohol
* Ammonium Carbonate
* Preservatives

in case anyone was wondering

FACTS:
There are actually 15 pouches in a can of copenhagen. Each can of pouches states there is a total package content of 23.25g.

Copenhagen contains roughly 2.31-2.67 (2.49 avg.) milligrams of unprotonated nicotine per gram.

23.25x2.49=57.8925mg of nicotine in a single can
57.8925/15=4.14mg of nicotine per pouch

Because i used 2 pouches in 30ml of VG, there is a potential total of 8.28mg of nicotine.

The assumed mg/ml content would be 0.276mg/ml.

Though, due to the slow release of the nicotine from the pouches, it is safe to assume the nicotine content consumed is directly related to the amount to time the pouches are allowed to soak.

Last edited by a moderator:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
I guess I'm slow. This is interesting, but I'm not sure I get it.

OK, so take this scenario:

You walk into a room with 2 tables, table A and table B.
You have your PV, but no juice. You want/need to vape.

Table A has Copenhagen pouches and a bottle of flavored 0 nic juice.
Table B has your same flavored extract-mixture juice.

If you sit at table A, you would use the pouch and spit into a spittoon, while you vape 0 nic. At table B, no spitting just vaping.

What table do you sit at? Why?

Does table B taste better?
Does table B give you better MAOI effects?
Is table B better tobacco flavored juice?

What is the motivation for making/using the juice? Is it a "just in case I run out" kind of thing? Is is less expensive (for the same perceived/effective nic level)?

Table A is probably a more complete use of the nicotine, etc. in the juice (and thus less expensive). And you don't have to inhale it. Table B may be the world's best tobacco flavored juice?

What's your experience using the juice?

Last edited:

Mathew R Taylor

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Personally, I am interested in the potential to make my own for the following reasons:

- In the unlikely event that the FDA slams down on eJuice, and makes it nigh impossible to obtain through normal means
- I have no local sources yet, and in the event I cannot order more and need some now (which I hope never happens)
- An exercise to make something comparable to something bought
- In the event I want to take this to an enterprising level, to potential cut on costs (though at this point a pretty distant what-if)

Mathew

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Personally, I am interested in the potential to make my own for the following reasons:

- In the unlikely event that the FDA slams down on eJuice, and makes it nigh impossible to obtain through normal means
- I have no local sources yet, and in the event I cannot order more and need some now (which I hope never happens)
- An exercise to make something comparable to something bought
- In the event I want to take this to an enterprising level, to potential cut on costs (though at this point a pretty distant what-if)

Mathew

I was thinking along similar lines to your 1st 2 points. Kind of a "plan B". I've found that DIY covers the 3rd point. IDK about point 4.

I was just wondering what the OPs motivation is for mixing the two, when it seems more dangerous than using the two products separately. Many people on this forum recommend/use snuss in addition to vaping.

Post #5's link seems to indicate that to get enough nic, it is MORE expensive, but a possible fall back plan.

I think Chrispare is very creative, and I'm interested. I'm just trying to draw him out on the details and his thoughts and experiences.

If I had to, I'd probably just get nicotine lozenges or gum or something (if I could afford em). I want my e-juice as chemical free as practical. Or I'd use the pouches/spit, and vape 0 nic juice. But, who knows?

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
FACTS:
There are actually 15 pouches in a can of copenhagen. Each can of pouches states there is a total package content of 23.25g.

Copenhagen contains roughly 2.31-2.67 (2.49 avg.) milligrams of unprotonated nicotine per gram.

23.25x2.49=57.8925mg of nicotine in a single can
57.8925/15=4.14mg of nicotine per pouch

Because i used 2 pouches in 30ml of VG, there is a potential total of 8.28mg of nicotine.

The assumed mg/ml content would be 0.276mg/ml.

Though, due to the slow release of the nicotine from the pouches, it is safe to assume the nicotine content consumed is directly related to the amount to time the pouches are allowed to soak.

That's not a lot of nicotine considering commercial e-liquid has (normally) between 8mg and 36mg nicotine per ml.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread