Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Very Hard to draw any definitive conclusions as to what happened given such Few Details or Facts. Or even know for sure what type of e-Cigarettes was used from this picture.

141121_TEM_AT_Dan-Vowles-Vape.jpg

Man describes terrifying moment vape battery set pocket on fire

It could be that Mr. Vowles was just incredibly Unlucky. And his e-Cigarette went into Thermal Runaway on it's own. Something that is Very Rare. But statistically can happen.

Hoping Mr. Vowles makes a Full Recovery.

BTW - Individuals and the Media will often use the word "Battery" many times for what we here on the ECF would call a "mod". And are Not referring to the actual Battery Cell.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
There are 2 rules when it comes to cells and vaping.

1: Always use genuine cells which are overrated, as the extra headroom makes for better safety.

2: Use a decent external charger as you cannot necessarily rely on the charging circuit of a mod or its implementation, unless you're willing to pay a lot more money for a mod with a reliable charging circuit and that isn't an option for some.

But I don't know why there's mention of using the charging cable? Unless that's an oversight and they missed out that it is to do with internal battery mods.

But the more I read this over the more I see, perhaps the battery or cell is the truth? And if so, they didn't mention that they had it stowed well in a suitable battery carrier.

And all we can see from a photo, be it stock or not. Is just the main can part of the cell, which looks remarkably clean if it was in a mod?

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
A Nottinghamshire, England vaper suffered gruesome injuries after his e-cig battery went into thermal meltdown in his pocket. But what was the real cause of the accident and could it have been avoided?

Man Severely Burned in Vaping Accident
Only carry spare batteries in a protective box or sheath.
NEVER carry loose batteries in pockets, bags, purses, backpacks etc.
18650-battery-case.jpg

Cheers
I

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
BTW - Individuals and the Media will often use the word "Battery" many times for what we here on the ECF would call a "Mod". And are Not referring to the actual Battery Cell.
This.

It's unclear from the article, if it was an unprotected spare battery in his pocket which got shorted then this a battery accident not a vaping accident. There are not dedicated vaping batteries despite what some companies might put on the plastic wrapper. In fact manufacturers of batteries specifically distance themselves from the vaping world because of this kind of irresponsible use of their products.

Annette Rogers

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
California USA
www.kaisvirginvapor.com
ZoiDman, excellent point about the media confusion between a mod and an actual battery cell. And I agree, sonicbomb, if it was a spare battery and not a mod, it really should be called a battery accident and not a vaping accident!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread