Manufacturers/Suppliers: What's in my atomizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
I've been having a problem with one of my ecigs.... little to no vapor usually, and sometimes a burning odor/taste as folks have discussed many times.

The steel wool portion of the atomizer is a U-shape that juts out of the atomizer 'tube' and sits down into the cartridge. I've examined it a few times and noticed a beige'y color inside the U and down in the atomizer, just where I could see. Below the steel wool, not part of it. Finally tonight I stuck the end of a tweezer into the U and below is what I pulled out, the beige'y stuff I had been seeing. If other pictures and discussions have clarified this, my apologies for missing it. Everyone might know but me! :oops: And thanks in advance for any info.

DSC00190crop.jpg

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
Thanks all, this board is swarming with experts. I'm not one!

The ecig doesn't work any differently now than it did before I pulled that stuff out of it, which gives you an idea of how well it was working for me. So not much to cry about if I can't get it back in. But should it be burning? We can see that has happened looking at the fibers. And the fibers themselves smell exactly like the burning smell/taste I've been getting. It doesn't seem to me that we should be smoking the "protective battery covering"...

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
trog100 said:
mine just have the lttle ceramic pot surrounded by wire gauze i dont think it should be there.. what sort is it..??

I don't have any specific name for the model. It looks like this except the cart is white, not beige:

newe-cigfoldout.jpg

The atomizer with the U-shaped steel wool piece jutting out, resembles this atomizer:

SUPER-01-BLUE_100.jpg

TropicalBob said:
And I find it scary that it is showing evidence of burning. You're inhaling the smoke from that stuff along with the vapor from the cartridge. Not good, no matter the intent of the material. And what IS that material's content?

Yes I agree TB, and wonder the same.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
looks like a dse102 generic.. i have never pulled one of those apart.. any way i dont think fibres of any kind should be in with the heater coil.. having said that if its some kind of material that will stand the heat it might well be intended to be there.. who knows what tricks might be tried to make these things work better..

trog

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
leaford said:
I found those fibers wound inside the mesh arch. That's what I meant by how would you put them back. I think they're like a wick. The wire itself isn't absorbant anough, so the fiber draws and holds the liquid.

i think leaford is on the right track.. a mix of wire and fibre as an attempt to improve the "wick" factor".. its not there in any of the devices i have looked at thow.. as to what the material is.. we dont know..

if its only in the arch its not going to get much hotter then the "wool".. having said that if it falls down into the pot it is..

trog

ps.. time for someone to set fire to some.. he he.. if it melts its plastic if it chars and crumbles it isnt..

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
Well, wicks don't burn, so these shouldn't melt/burn. The heat will be drawn out of the fibers along with the vaporized liquid. Or rather, the energy will be transferred to the liquid. So long as you don't smoke the atomizer dry, or overheat it.

And the dark parts could be natural. It looks unbleached. OK, nah, that's too optimistic. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread