Manufacturers/Suppliers: What's in my atomizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaNap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2009
Atlanta
Thankyou exogenesis for that breakdown, I have been following this topic closely because I too want to design a better atomizer for a Box style mod im working on. I would like for the design to be something like one of those old kerosene lamps - where the wick is in the fluid, so is it possible to have one end of a wick in the fluid and the other connected to the heating wire? I guess my question is what material would the wick have to be? I may be wrong but i dont think glass fiber could be put into a wick form, and does the glassfiber transfer the e liquid?

Do you guys think a nomex wick would work? I can find information on when it burns but not so much when it starts to give off anyfumes from degradation.

Thanks guys you all have been really helpfull.

-Sean

mogur

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
Wow! Very nice.... NOW I find this thread. Exo, great work. I see we both called that plastic dohickey a venturi. In the patent filing that Tom found, Ruyan calls it a 'liquid restrictor' . . . . .

Liquid restrictor 704 is made of nylon and other heat-resistant materials for purpose of preventing the back-flow of liquid. There is a vent hole on the liquid restrictor 704 and connection bracket 706. Liquid guide unit 705 is a multi-layer nickel foam web covering the exterior side of connection bracket 706 and connection bracket holder 702. Further referring to Fig. 4, the liquid guide unit 705 touches liquid restrictor 704 at one end and protrudes to be in contact with porous unit 102 inside the liquid container 101 of nicotine solution cavity 10. The porous unit 102 may be filled with either PP fibers, terylene fibers or nylon fibers. The liquid is led to the cavity between liquid restrictor 704 and connection bracket holder 702 through the liquid guide unit 705 as a result of capillarity. Tiny drops of liquid will be inhaled into the other side of connection bracket holder 702 through the injection hole 703 due to the force of gas flow. The sucked liquid will be vaporized instantly by the heater 701 and further inhaled out through the vent hole on the exterior of liquid container 101 and the suction nozzle 9. The liquid guide unit 705 may also be made of stainless steel fibrofelt, high polymer foam and ceramic foam.

fig4.png

atomxy

Jun 11, 2009
exogenesis

Hello...

My name is Leandro and I’m from Brazil... :)

First, I’m so sorry about my poor English. I hope you can understand.

We have a forum about e-cigs in my country, using Portuguese language.

I want to ask if you can give me authorization to copy your e-cig diagram, from this topic to use in our forum. :) Oh, i really liked it. :)

I hope this can help the brazilian people to know more about how e-cig works. :)

I will place a link to original post and give you all credits.

Thanks very much... :)

Boredoftheworld

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Charleston, SC
I didn't read the whole 9 pages, but I pulled the same stuff out of one of my 510 attys and think it was the wick. I never could get it to work right after pulling it out.

After my first atomizer started giving me a burnt taste I pulled a bunch of that stuff out and it looked burned as well, after it was gone no more burnt tasted and it vaped like crazy for a few days, now it's not doing much of anything.

Unhappily, the atomizer I've been using regularly since it arrived on Monday started giving me a burnt taste while I was reading this thread, I'm afraid of what I'm going to find now.

That's 3 atomizers I've gone through on my 510 since I started vaping on the 25th of June if I can't resurrect the two dead ones and destench the one I'm using now.

I really would hope that I could expect atomizers to last longer but even if I have to replace one each week it's still cheaper than smoking by a long shot.

catlvr

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
Kern County California
I didn't read the whole 9 pages, but I pulled the same stuff out of one of my 510 attys and think it was the wick. I never could get it to work right after pulling it out.
Same here. It never worked right with my carts, but I tried dripping on it and it worked great. I use it for dripping now. So far it works great.:thumb: I won't be pulling the stuff out anymore, but when an attys going out I just might try this to drip on it alittle while before it goes all the way out.:D

chippillie

Jul 14, 2009
I have a 510 and have had the burnt taste happen all I did was put some clean damp cart filler in a empty cart and use that only inhaling into my mouth. It will make to filler brown just keep cleaning the filler by running it in water and doing it until the filler is not brown. This cleans and gets rid of the tast. I read this in the instructions from Joye. The Atty is silver afterwards and looks like new again.

Nix

Jul 13, 2009
Duluth, MN
Just had a RN4072 aka 801 pen style atty go out on me so i decided to take it apart and add some pics to the thread!

not the best pics ever but you get the general idea of what i was trying to show you. Some how the coil got caught on a cart and uncoiled i guess

Attachments

• IMG_7033.jpg
    IMG_7033.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_7034.jpg
    IMG_7034.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7035.jpg
    IMG_7035.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7037.jpg
    IMG_7037.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7038.jpg
    IMG_7038.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 85

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
Well it says that they use nylon on some models. Maybe the 510 uses the nylon. I work in the marine industry and always burn the end of ropes. I KNOW that smell and KNEW it the first time I got that burnt taste in my 510. It will go away in time. You just have to adjust your habits. Simply hit it two or three times and let it rest about 3 or 4 minutes. The pot has run dry and we are burning off the wick material. The pot has to stay wet and the taste will not return. I went two days without tasting it by simply adjusting my habits. I was just hitting it too often and it was dry. That is it. I am happy again. I also carry at least two or three Pvs with me now so I can rotate them. Hit one twice and let it rest. When I go back to it there is a nice puff waiting for me. It is a wick and it has to stay wet or else it WILL burn.

Nforcer

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
A, A
Ludo has just posted what Janty use for wicks in their atomisers - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...rs-forum/2602-janty-thread-q-5.html#post43065 "It is a heat-resistant aromatic polyamide fiber"

Good ol' Jarvis managed to get that information, thanks.

This is what Wikipedia says about aromatic polyamide - Aramid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So if they said they are using those fire proof fibers we should think that Joyetech who's the main manufacturer of the Joye 501 / janty Dura its using the same fibers , arent Janty resseling from Joye with their own brand ?

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Thought I would post this pic here also some of the older pics have disappeared but this will give people an idea what the wick in a 501 looks like. Obviously it got burned.
hotot-albums-inside-510-atty-lanyard-picture2804-inside-510-atty-lanyard.jpg

If you put that bit of wick into the hottest part of a Bunsen burner flame you will find the 'burned' looking bit will disappear....it's actually only gunk, the wick does not burn at all, the heat will clean it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread