Maraxus Shocking the hell out of me and fire button heating up!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cammelspit

Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Mesa, Arizona, United States
OK, so I just received my Maraxus clone $26.32 Maraxus Telescopic Mechanical Mod - eight vent holes / floating 510 center pin at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping and am having one hell of a time getting this thing to work reliably. When I hit the fire button about half of the time the fire button actually heats up and the atomizer either doesn't heat at all or it heats only very slightly. When I first discovered the problem I dismantled the fire button section and verified that the spring and whatnot is properly insulated to reduce or eliminate shorts. Here is what I found out. if I press the fire button flatly there seems to be nowhere for the power from the battery to go but through the spring and the spring seems to heat like resistance wire.:mad: I also observed electrical arcing from the brass button itself and the stainless bottom cap behaving just like a "Spark Gap":facepalm: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_gap.:danger: The fire button works and there is no undue heating or sparking if, before I fire the mod, push the button over to the side so that it makes direct contact with the SS body of the mod. I need help from anyone who has experience with a Maraxus style mech or who has had this problem before. Since I am an electronics repair tech I understand a lot about electrical theory and have has some ideas as to how I can mod my mod to have the power go through the SS casing and NOT the damned spring! I also thought that maybe replacing the spring with a high amp capable conductor spring might help but the "Spark Gap" effect would not go away if that is the only thing I do to it.

Please, any help is VERY MUCH appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any insight you may be able to provide.:cry:

P.S. I also hear that this specific clone is one of the best as it perfectly resembles the original Maraxus as closely as any other and I simply can't accept that there is this large of a glaring design flaw in an otherwise .....in looking, har hitting mod.:?:

cammelspit

Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Heh, I just KNEW I would get the fast tech comment first. :laugh: I absolutely respect that sentiment but I have also done some more research and have at least two possible solutions to the problem. And yes it IS the fact it is a cheap as hell Chinese knock off and they seem to have not installed a necessary component into the switch assembly that WAS present in the older versions of this clone.:blush::oops: I guess its back to the hardware store to see if I can make or find a better spring and that damn ring that should be there.:blink: If not then I'lll just have to return it and maybe either get a replacement or just get another panzer clone... My brother got his panzer in the same order and its amazing.:unsure:

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Forget the spring, see if you can manage to get some magnets in there. Hard to pass current through something that isn't there, magnets will ensure the current is sent through the body metals and one of the best features about opposing magnets is that they "fight" each other when they oppose and try to move side to side to get away from the opposing poles. This means the natural pressing motion of the button will cause it to slide off to one side without you even doing it, which will provide an even better contact than any spring will.

cammelspit

Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Ah, good idea... Brilliant... I did do the washer thing... I attached the washer to my power drill with a bold and nut and then ran that on a file till it was JUST perfect so good there. Now a magnet kit because I can still feel a slight warm up from the spring and couldn't find a spring at Home Depot or Lowes in the time allotted. I had to get home to take my two year old son to toys R us for his birthday and couldn't go gallivanting around the city for two more hours. I guess it's another five ....ing dollars to fix the Chinese piece of crap. The Panzer we got in the same order was amazing though, so meh...

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Ah, good idea... Brilliant... I did do the washer thing... I attached the washer to my power drill with a bold and nut and then ran that on a file till it was JUST perfect so good there. Now a magnet kit because I can still feel a slight warm up from the spring and couldn't find a spring at Home Depot or Lowes in the time allotted. I had to get home to take my two year old son to toys R us for his birthday and couldn't go gallivanting around the city for two more hours. I guess it's another five ....ing dollars to fix the Chinese piece of crap. The Panzer we got in the same order was amazing though, so meh...
If you're going to continue to order things from Fasttech just go into it with the mindset that you're going to need to modify/change something about the mod, that way when it gets to your door you can be prepared to have an open mind and look at things objectively rather than being excited and not thinking straight. I've ordered about a dozen mods and even more atomizers from FT and all but one mod needed some sort of modification/final finishing when it got to my door. The one mod that needed nothing right out of the box was this Stingray X - https://www.fasttech.com/p/1795000 which has been flawless since day one, even survived a harsh drop on to concrete stairs with minimal scarring.

The one mod that needed nothing right out of the box was this Stingray X - https://www.fasttech.com/p/1795000 which has been flawless since day one, even survived a harsh drop on to concrete stairs with minimal scarring.

I got the same SKU and the engraving on mine is barely visible and the button is pretty crunchy. Not much I could do about the engraving but I did the pencil trick on the switch to smooth out the crunchiness and it works pretty well.

cammelspit

Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
I guess I just didn't pay too close attention. I was aware of the fast-tech being Chinese knock offs thing and I knew it was a risk. This is my first mech after vaping for over 2 years and I was just getting a bit giddy. I did look at the reviews but I must have thought that either this person had just gotten a unit that had bad QC or may have missed it altogether. I even bought some of those Xtar 30 AMP(VT4) IMRs to play round with different Ohm ranges. So it's not like I have a plethora of mechs to use while I wait for a replacement or while I search for parts to fix the things. I am just lucky I found ECF, without the help of the knowledgeable, kind and helpful people here I would have been a little lost in the deluge of random and contradictory info out there. I have a background in multi level PCB repair and though I am inclined to the mechanical and electronic arts vaping is just a bit different then re-balling BGA chips or SMD soldering 200 pin quad flat packs. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread