Marketing Advice to Suppliers

Status
Not open for further replies.

riddle80

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2008
Nashville, TN
In light of recent events with Safe Cig I thought it would be a good idea to help out new suppliers with the common do's and don'ts of marketing these devices to possibly prevent future catastrophes from happening.

This is just a start:

1. DO NOT make the claim that these are healthy, safe, or better for you than tobacco. We have NO proof of this and making these claims should require it. Some might believe it's healthier, but fact is we don't know. Until rigorous testing is done on your product that can prove it, this is false advertising and bad for the entire business.

2. You can't say that testing has been done on your product and use Ruyan or another companies test results. Each manufacturer is different, and to say your product has been tested it needs to be from your specific manufacturer.

3. Don't state that these are for quitting smoking. They are a cigarette alternative and nothing more. You could say that many people have reported quitting using these and it is possible, but we're not an NRT.

4. Don't lie about how long a cartridge lasts. Saying 1 cartridge is the equivalent of a pack of cigs is just wrong. This just makes you look bad as most users know better.

5. Don't say it's a water vapor. The testing that has been done states:
"... the exhaled mist of the e-cigarette is composed of propylene glycol, and probably contains almost no nicotine; and no CO..."

I'm hoping that there will be less false advertising in the future as suppliers become more aware of these do's and don'ts. If anyone wants to elaborate or add their own please do ;).

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
that sign is up now.

obamayesucanut3.jpg

obamayesucan2if8.jpg

devonschmoker

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
Portland, OR USA
They can’t tax us. They can’t tax nicotine itself as it is in NRT and that would be really bad PR. Our best bet if we get backed into a corner is to get it approved as a NRT. (Only as a last resort)

I also have some other things to add to the list, the following warnings should be posted by all sellers the keep out of reach of children and such these are standard disclaimers: “These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. “This statement has been covering the .... of the vitamin and supplement suppliers for many years. If you post this on every website and every box your .... is covered.

swanee

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2008
me fi
They can’t tax us. They can’t tax nicotine itself as it is in NRT and that would be really bad PR. Our best bet if we get backed into a corner is to get it approved as a NRT. (Only as a last resort)

I also have some other things to add to the list, the following warnings should be posted by all sellers the keep out of reach of children and such these are standard disclaimers: “These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. “This statement has been covering the .... of the vitamin and supplement suppliers for many years. If you post this on every website and every box your .... is covered.

I was going to say the same thing. You see it on the bottom of every weight loss pill commercial. I'm sure manufactures would oblige to putting it on the boxes upon request as it may help keep the industry going in the us

Last edited:

Lika

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2009
Dallas - USA
Right on mark Riddle...

Being relatively new to ecigs (3 weeks as a user and 3 months of research as of this posting) this is one of the most frustrating things I've learned in all of my research. Note: I said "one" as there are several, unfortunately...

And, that sign - good grief! I read it was going to be put up but this is the first I've seen of it. Thanks for posting the pic dc.

On the bright side there are a lot of good suppliers/retailers out there too. I think the majority will listen especially with a community voice and the organizing going on over at RTV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread