Marlboro announces plan to stop making cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Trump re
What?!?! Taxes are more than $1.50 in most states. Fed taxes are about a buck per pack. So even in the lowest state-tax areas, they'd have to be practically giving the damn things away to sell em at $1.50. Maybe in MO or something. But still, I'd be surprised.

Unless they're bootleg. "Freedom" brand...maybe. They'd be tax-dodging then, so sure.

How High Are Cigarette Taxes in Your State? | 2019 Rankings
I should have added the caveat... My cousin is generally full of s***. :(

• Informative
Reactions: AttyPops

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Okay... I just called a Convenient Mart in his area. Marlboro = $7.98 per pk. The lowest price generic brand is $6.11 per pk.

Yet again, my cousin is full of s***! I kid you not... he lies so easily, he should run for POTUS. He didn't want me to know that he's spending over $6.00 per pk, so he lied about the pricing.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Okay... I just called a Convenient Mart in his area. Marlboro = $7.98 per pk. The lowest price generic brand is $6.11 per pk.

Yet again, my cousin is full of s***! I kid you not... he lies so easily, he should run for POTUS. He didn't want me to know that he's spending over $6.00 per pk, so he lied about the pricing.

Yup. In my last 3 or so years of smoking, I was smoking "generics" and RYO. Generics were usually about $2 less than name brands. Still expensive but saved me about $150/mo. RYO on the other hand was very cheap as it wasn't taxed as high as prefabricated cigs are. I don't know if they upped the tax on RYO these days though. I know it was being talked about at the time.

If you could get prefabricated cigarettes for $1.50, less people would quit, I guarantee it lol

• Agree
    Reactions: jcoopercam

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    In the UK a pack of 20 cigarettes costs around $15.50 USD (£12 GBP) of which about 80% is tax.
    When I quit they 10 years ago they were just about to hit £5, this being so expensive as to be a major factor in my starting vaping.

US prices don't seem so bad now by comparison, yes?
    iAQBkFP.jpg

BigPappa

Ultra Member
    Sep 21, 2019
    Fort Myers, FL
    In the UK a pack of 20 cigarettes costs around $15.50 USD (£12 GBP) of which about 80% is tax.
    When I quit they 10 years ago they were just about to hit £5, this being so expensive as to be a major factor in my starting vaping.

US prices don't seem so bad now by comparison, yes?
    iAQBkFP.jpg
    It's $13 USD in NYC, so it's close...

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    This is what happens
    of course this shouldn't be the only measure to prevent ppl(esp.kids) from smoking.
    But still, many ppl will stop if it will not be freely available (and cheap enough to have fun with).
    If they'd know it's from the black market, it will prevent a lot of them from trying.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    of course this shouldn't be the only measure to prevent ppl(esp.kids) from smoking.
    But still, many ppl will stop if it will not be freely available (and cheap enough to have fun with).
    If they'd know it's from the black market, it will prevent a lot of them from trying.

Just say'n that if you Turn the (Tax) Wrench too hard, you Break the Bolt.

It's been seen in the Liquor Market.
    It's been seen in the Tobacco Market.
    It's been seen in the THC Market.

And the Madness is as Black and Grey Markets start to move in, Tax Revenues actually go Down. So the Answer to make up for the Tax Shortfalls is to Raise Taxes. But that just makes the Black and Grey Marks more attractive.

And soon the Market is trapped in a Self-Spiral. And there Isn't a good way to Correct it.

Because when was the Last Time you have heard of a "Sin Tax" being Reduced? Or even someone say'n that we should?

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    In the UK, all slim cigarettes and rolling tobacco plus menthol cigs and tips are being banned in may this year

NO MORE ROLLIES!! Is nothing sacred to these people?

I wonder if you will still be able to buy rolling papers.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread