Marlboro announces plan to stop making cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    When an addict is priced out of their drug through 'legitimate' sources, they'll do what they can to continue their supply.

Now there is a much better alternative in vaping, also, even then, do you think kids would start smoking if a pack would cost let's say $15+ and the only cheaper option would be purchasing cigs from black market dealers?

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Now there is a much better alternative in vaping, also, even then, do you think kids would start smoking if a pack would cost let's say $15+ and the only cheaper option would be purchasing cigs from black market dealers?

Honestly political climate may play a part. With the way the US is demonizing vaping and the UK is more or less promoting it, can very likely produce different results.

NCC

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2010
    Fla Panhandle, USA
    Regardless of the price of a pack of smokes, few kids would choose smoking over vaping, for the same reason that vaping is an effective smoking cessation aid. The whole argument that vaping could be a bridge to smoking seems absurd to me.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    Good picture below of how the media works. The problem is that the most partisan consumers probably believe that their own favorite source of information is right up there at the top center.

In other words we get the media we want. The problem is us not the media. It's delusion to think that if the media was perfect and unbiased we would believe it. There really are media sources at the top center of the picture, but it's hard to shake our own biases and recognize what is real.

View attachment 863985
    I was never a fan of team sports, so, I suppose I was never conditioned to group partisanship. If there is a media agenda afoot, I suspect the intent is to keep the masses separated. The antidote to slavery (mental or otherwise) is unity.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    I was never a fan of team sports, so, I suppose I was never conditioned to group partisanship. If there is a media agenda afoot, I suspect the intent is to keep the masses separated. The antidote to slavery (mental or otherwise) is unity.

I do think the partisan media is an effect rather than a cause.

In his farewell speech at the end of his presidency, George Washington warned about the dangers of political polarization:

This spirit, unfortunately, is inseparable from our nature, having its root in the strongest passions of the human mind. It exists under different shapes in all governments, more or less stifled, controlled, or repressed; but, in those of the popular form, it is seen in its greatest rankness, and is truly their worst enemy. The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism…It serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection. It opens the door to foreign influence and corruption, which finds a facilitated access to the government itself through the channels of party passions…it is a spirit not to be encouraged.

Seems like he nailed it. Though today’s sparring partisan warriors would probably just say that GW didn’t foresee a time when one of the political parties was actually evil and had to crushed and destroyed.

The last sentence was interesting in the light of current political events.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    I haven't smoked since mid 2010. Vaping is the cure, for sure.

I can say that I've not had the desire to smoke since then. I was probably one of the lucky ones who only needed the nic hit and the hand to mouth actions to switch. Vaping supplied both.
    I agree, totally. I've been vaping for at least 13 years myself. Once I started vaping, I never went back to smoking. I quit drinking 1 year prior, so I think that helped. I enjoy vaping, but it's not a priority... not like smoking was. I tried to smoke a cigarette some years back, but I could not inhale the smoke. The smell alone was repugnant.

On a personal note... I don't think Trump is going to make a decision on vaping, prior to the upcoming election.

Reactions: DaveP

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    I agree, totally. I've been vaping for at least 13 years myself. Once I started vaping, I never went back to smoking. I quit drinking 1 year prior, so I think that helped. I enjoy vaping, but it's not a priority... not like smoking was. I tried to smoke a cigarette some years back, but I could not inhale the smoke. The smell alone was repugnant.

On a personal note... I don't think Trump is going to make a decision on vaping, prior to the upcoming election.
    Trump doesn't really have any decision to make on vaping at this point. In all reality with everything else that's going on I would say vaping isn't even a thought in his mind.

• Agree
    Reactions: jcoopercam

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Trump doesn't really have any decision to make on vaping at this point. In all reality with everything else that's going on I would say vaping isn't even a thought in his mind.

Loosely Quoted.

"Only a Fool discounts issues where the number of people for or against is more than the winning margin you Think you can win by in a given state."

Karl Rove

Reactions: DaveP

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    I'm a vaper to my core, cut me and I bleed juice. But vaping is not for everyone though, it's hard for us to believe as people who have found it to be a miraculous saviour. If someone mistrusts vaping, which based on the successful media campaign one could fully understand. Or it just doesn't appeal to them for what ever reason, they are trapped between their addiction and a burgeoning wall of extreme taxation.
    I think we can all agree that smoking is a savage and unrelenting addiction and I know very few smokers who have successfully quit cold turkey. An addict caught in this situation will just dig deeper in their pocket and make sacrifices in other areas to compensate.

In the UK, all slim cigarettes and rolling tobacco plus menthol cigs and tips are being banned in may this year

Menthol Ban | ACS | The Association of Convenience Stores

Maybe just the way you worded it. Rolling tobacco is not going to banned, but flavoured tobacco is.

From 20th May 2020 there will be a ban on the sale of menthol cigarettes.

The ban also applies to capsule, click on, click & roll, crushball or dual menthol cigarettes. The ban does not apply to heated tobacco products or e-cigarette products.

FAQs

Is it just menthol flavoured cigarettes that will be banned from 20th May?

No, the ban relates to all flavoured cigarettes and rolling tobacco and has been in force since May 2017. The sale of menthol cigarettes was extended to 20th May 2020.

Is it possible to get a rebate or refund on my remaining menthol cigarette stock?

This will be a matter for your tobacco supplier to decide.

Can retailers sell hand-rolling tobacco which has been packaged with flavoured filters or papers?

No, it will no longer be permitted to produce or sell cigarettes or hand-rolling tobacco which has been packaged with flavoured filters or papers.

Can I sell tobacco products, such as hand-rolling tobacco in the same transaction as flavoured filters and papers?

Yes, you will still be able to sell flavoured filters and papers in the same transaction as tobacco products. The ban refers only to flavoured cigarettes and flavoured hand-rolling tobacco products or where cigarettes and hand-rolling tobacco is sold in the same package as flavoured filters and papers.

Will hand-rolling tobacco be banned?

No. Hand-rolling tobacco will not be banned from 20th May 2020. Flavoured hand-rolling tobacco however has been banned since May 2017.

Can retailers still sell menthol flavoured cigarillos?

Only flavoured cigarettes and flavoured hand-rolling tobacco is affected by the Tobacco Products Directive. Retailers can still sell other menthol products including cigarillos and menthol filters.

Marper

Moved On
    May 20, 2019
    I'm a vaper to my core, cut me and I bleed juice. But vaping is not for everyone though, it's hard for us to believe as people who have found it to be a miraculous saviour. If someone mistrusts vaping, which based on the successful media campaign one could fully understand. Or it just doesn't appeal to them for what ever reason, they are trapped between their addiction and a burgeoning wall of extreme taxation.
    I think we can all agree that smoking is a savage and unrelenting addiction and I know very few smokers who have successfully quit cold turkey. An addict caught in this situation will just dig deeper in their pocket and make sacrifices in other areas to compensate.

Menthol Ban | ACS | The Association of Convenience Stores

Maybe just the way you worded it. Rolling tobacco is not going to banned, but flavoured tobacco is.

From 20th May 2020 there will be a ban on the sale of menthol cigarettes.

The ban also applies to capsule, click on, click & roll, crushball or dual menthol cigarettes. The ban does not apply to heated tobacco products or e-cigarette products.

FAQs

Is it just menthol flavoured cigarettes that will be banned from 20th May?

No, the ban relates to all flavoured cigarettes and rolling tobacco and has been in force since May 2017. The sale of menthol cigarettes was extended to 20th May 2020.

Is it possible to get a rebate or refund on my remaining menthol cigarette stock?

This will be a matter for your tobacco supplier to decide.

Can retailers sell hand-rolling tobacco which has been packaged with flavoured filters or papers?

No, it will no longer be permitted to produce or sell cigarettes or hand-rolling tobacco which has been packaged with flavoured filters or papers.

Can I sell tobacco products, such as hand-rolling tobacco in the same transaction as flavoured filters and papers?

Yes, you will still be able to sell flavoured filters and papers in the same transaction as tobacco products. The ban refers only to flavoured cigarettes and flavoured hand-rolling tobacco products or where cigarettes and hand-rolling tobacco is sold in the same package as flavoured filters and papers.

Will hand-rolling tobacco be banned?

No. Hand-rolling tobacco will not be banned from 20th May 2020. Flavoured hand-rolling tobacco however has been banned since May 2017.

Can retailers still sell menthol flavoured cigarillos?

Only flavoured cigarettes and flavoured hand-rolling tobacco is affected by the Tobacco Products Directive. Retailers can still sell other menthol products including cigarillos and menthol filters.
    Thanks, that's cleared that up,not worried about it myself but some people coming from rolling to vaping might have been a bit worried

Reactions: sonicbomb

zapped

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 30, 2009
    Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
    That's not true at all here in the U.S

P.M.I stands for Phillip Morris International. They're the arm of the company that sells cigarettes outside the U.S

Altria is in charge of U.S sales and they have made no similar announcement.

They are actively researching, developing and testing alternatives to smoking, including lozenges, snus, electronic cigarettes and tobacco free nicotine products.

Don't expect those to replace cigarettes in the U.S anytime soon.

Above all, a company is in business to make money and removing all of Altrias cigarette products from the market in this country would be suicide.

Did the Company That Makes Marlboros Announce They Intend to Stop Producing Cigarettes?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    P.M.I stands for Phillip Morris International. They're the arm of the company that sells cigarettes outside the U.S

Altria is in charge of U.S sales and they have made no similar announcement.
    Technically, PMI and Altria are completely separate companies. They split in 2008.

Late year, there was talk of them re-merging, but PMI got cold feet, quite possibly due to the troubled nature of Altria's investment in Juul.

• Informative
    Reactions: Oregon Linda

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    Exactly. Trump administration isn't going to create a ****-storm of contraversy, prior to the election. They would be foolish to do so.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Don29palms

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    This good news, right?

Sure...

If the "Op-Ed" theories based on Uncited Sources printed by the New York Times are true, and if the President takes the action the New York Times would like you to think He is going to take, then yeah, it could be Good News.

Or it could just be that Unsubstantiated Spin the NYT is Famous for in shaping Hearts and Minds.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    Sure...

If the "Op-Ed" theories based on Uncited Sources printed by the New York Times are true, and if the President takes the action the New York Times would like you to think He is going to take, then yeah, it could be Good News.

Or it could just be that Unsubstantiated Spin the NYT is Famous for in shaping Hearts and Minds.

Yeah. Thanks to the media most voters today think vaping came direct from the Pit of Hell. So the NYT, which doesn't like Trump much, tells us that Trump is thinking of siding with Satan and his devious devices.

Mind you, this isn't the first time we've heard that Trump's political advisors are making that argument so it might be true.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread