Status
Not open for further replies.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Frankly while I don't approve of teens vaping I remember quite well that I was going to try smoking as a youth and advertising had nothing to do with it. I was told not to smoke by adults so of course I was determined to smoke. It really is that simple, they want to vape because it is something to get away with.

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
I'd rather they did that than take up smoking.
Of course Rossum, but I would rather see them just avoid it all.

And you have to admit, vaping is a lot more interesting than smoking. All these flavors, cool devices and atomizers, I can tell you if I grew up when vaping existed I would have gotten into it too.

Anyone who thinks vaping isn't alluring to underage children is fooling themselves, but so is drinking, driving, and all sorts of other freedoms of age people enjoy.

The thing with vaping though, at least their is the option of nicotine free. Something Juul should have done is pods without nicotine.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It is true. Maybe we could make vapes less appealing if they were taught in oh, say, Freshman science class and kids would get to build their own vape, learn about batteries, ohm's law, etc.

Call me crazy but I think it would fit well in common core. Teens only want to do what grownups do because they want to be grownups.

If II had known what being a grownup was LIKE,, I don't think I would have been quite as eager you know? I would have actually tried harder in basket weaving class, for example. I did not try hard at all (I went to an art high school and it was a pretty good education except for science and math.) LOL. I would have waited to consume alcohol until I was of the legal age (not that it woulda made much difference.)

IDK. Being a grownup sucks. Oh, pretty soon here I must go to WALMART! Gah .Then calculate how much more dough to send to the husband before I SPEND it. Etc.

Anna

Reactions: Anise

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Of course Rossum, but I would rather see them just avoid it all.
There's numerous things we'd like to see youngsters avoid. Sex. Drugs. Drinking. Obnoxious music. But you know what? We'll never eliminate them.

Something Juul should have done is pods without nicotine.
This I agree with. It would have allowed kids to be "cool" without the nic if they wanted to.

But I wonder if it would have been perceived by some (including possibly the FDA) as an admission by Juul that the were catering to an under-age customer base?

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
It would have allowed kids to be "cool" without the nic if they wanted to.

But I wonder if it would have been perceived by some (including possibly the FDA) as an admission by Juul that the were catering to an under-age customer base?

I thought about that but truthfully there are plenty of adults that vape no nicotine, my own mother does. She says it keeps her from returning to smoking.

I recently read this and was shocked:

For example, research has found that 37% of 15-to 24-year-old JUUL users are uncertain whether the product contains nicotine

(PDF) Adolescents’ and Young Adults’ Use and Perceptions of Pod-Based Electronic Cigarettes

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
For example, research has found that 37% of 15-to 24-year-old JUUL users are uncertain whether the product contains nicotine
Seriously?

juul-pods.jpg

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
Seriously?

juul-pods.jpg
I don't know why, other than possibly getting them in a way other than purchasing. Like taking them from their parents, friends giving them, who knows why they would answer that way.

Although I highly doubt that is what the packaging looked like when this study was done, certainly the information was there but I'm willing to bet it wasn't prominently displayed.

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    Juul can be the gateway to "proper" vaping for many.
    including non smokers. And even for smokers, it shouldn't be a gateway, it should be a way to quit smoking and eventually vaping nic liquids too.

I'd rather they were confined on some remote island until they were 30.

1 ticket to that island pls! I'll be a governor. :2cool:

Seriously?

don't you believe that 37% of 15-to 24-year-old are dumb enough for that?

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
    May 9, 2015
    I have questions about under what conditions any survey was given to minors using alcohol, smokes, Juuls, etc, and what the choices were.

"Mom/Dad I didn't know there was a nicotine in it" seems like a probable answer when a minor is trying to avoid punishment for being busted using a Juul. The good old ignorance defense.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
    Why would any of age vaper lie about it? Underage sure, very possible.
    Yeah, that's why statistics like "15-to 24-year-olds" are about useless. Particularly when teen usage is high ATM, and 24 yo smokers that are not vapers have not have made the switch yet, so they're not in the stats. Teen smoking is at an all time low, but they're vaping instead.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Teen smoking is at an all time low, but they're vaping instead.
    And the question nobody seems to want to ask is: If vaping didn't exist, how many of those who are vaping instead of smoking would be smoking?

I mean let's face it, teens are going to be teens. A significant number of them is going to drink, smoke or vape, have sex, etc, etc...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread