Marshmallow as a sweetener

Status
Not open for further replies.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
have you used ethyl maltol before because i think that is usually the sweetener used in flavours that sweeten like marshmallow
That's why I wrote my above post. If the main sweetener in the marshmallow flavor is EM then it won't have a big effect. If the flavor you're mixing already contains it or another sweetener then it'll do f:censored: all.
To get a rich sweetness like eg from a ripe mango or a cappuccino you need a different sweetener (sucralose, fructose etc.).

The problem is some marshmallow flavors may have a combination of sweeteners and some may just have EM, it's impossible to tell before buying because they don't put on the label what they used. I don't think there's a general rule like "any marshmallow flavor can be used to substitute for sweetener".

Reactions: stols001

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
The problem is some marshmallow flavors may have a combination of sweeteners and some may just have EM, it's impossible to tell before buying because they don't put on the label what they used. I don't think there's a general rule like "any marshmallow flavor can be used to substitute for sweetener".
That's partly why I was talking about FA marshmallow which is a must have and the best. YMMV.

Reactions: untar

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I tried FA Marshmallow and could taste it even at low percentage so switched to using pear or Purilum meringue. Seldom sweeten any mixes these days but when I do I use the meringue or VTA sugar cane. The sugar cane for me is good at .25. Very occasionally .5% if none of my flavors in a mix has a sweet note.

Vapedog

Oct 28, 2018
Ah ok that is a bit odd. Just a thought have you used ethyl maltol before because i think that is usually the sweetener used in flavours that sweeten like marshmallow? That's presumably why it mutes in high percentages. Maybe you can't taste ethyl maltol but I'm also am pretty sure that is one of the ingredients in SS. I use a little bit of TFA sweetener if I need to...can you taste that? That's fructose I believe. Can you detect sweetness in other flavours like FA pear or other sweet flavours?
Generally speaking, no, I read of some concentrate being really sweet in a review or something but I'll get it and mix without any sweetener added and need to add some. The only one that did was pre sweetened Cap kiwi and I think strawberry which had Stevia, but a rubbish stevia with an off aftertaste.
Pretty sure Cap is sucralose, but don't know what else. Purilum tastes exactly the same. I use FA meringue in some of my recipes and to me its meringue yes, but adds sweet? No.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I use a little bit of TFA sweetener if I need to...can you taste that? That's fructose I believe.
Sorry, but I have to correct you on this one; TFA-Sweetener does not contain any sugars (fructose, sucrose), which is not wise to vape. It does contain sucralose (a commonly used artificial sweetening agent).
upload_2018-10-30_18-26-7.png

(source)

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@Vapedog, If you are searching for a serious sweetener; you might like to check out one of the new kids on the block:
Sugar Daddy
DIYing vapers, that have a real sweet tooth, are singing its praises across the forums.

(FYI: Wizard Labs currently is having a 15% percent off sale for Halloween. Sale code is BOO2018)

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Sorry, but I have to correct you on this one; TFA-Sweetener does not contain any sugars (fructose, sucrose), which is not wise to vape. It does contain sucralose (a commonly used artificial sweetening agent).
View attachment 776999
(source)
Oops...my mistake you are quite correct....a mix up of my lose's :rolleyes:

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
@Vapedog, If you are searching for a serious sweetener; you might like to check out one of the new kids on the block:
Sugar Daddy
DIYing vapers, that have a real sweet tooth, are singing its praises across the forums.

(FYI: Wizard Labs currently is having a 15% percent off sale for Halloween. Sale code is BOO2018)
The Sugar Daddy Vanilla looks interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
Does anyone use this instead of a sweetener? If so which marshmallow (diy) is best? Any and all opinions are appreciated, thank you.
I feel like we've gotten way off your original topic. :) Marshmallow doesn't have any sweetener in it, but in my opinion mixed with the natural sweetness of VG it feels like it works as a sweetener.

Have you tried it yet? What did you think?

Reactions: stols001

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I feel like we've gotten way off your original topic. :) Marshmallow doesn't have any sweetener in it, but in my opinion mixed with the natural sweetness of VG it feels like it works as a sweetener.

Have you tried it yet? What did you think?
I asked the same question earlier. To date, no reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread