Massachusetts AG Dropped the Bomb - Regs start 9/25/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Abrams

Account closed on request
Sep 21, 2015
New England

I believe Boston already had restrictions on vaping inside the shop. I also think all juice tasting must be 0 nic. And you have to leave a small deposit. I just bought a tank in nearby Norwood MA and they told me I had to go outside to try it.

I live just down the road in RI. CT and NH are also nearby. My fear is monkey see, monkey do. Traveling in NJ these days for work. I dont know what their future holds, but I can say it is easier here with made to order juice operations, anything goes in the shops, and more lax public attitude towards vaping. I see a much wider variety of equipment and age range of vapors but that could also be economics at play.

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
There's very rarely going to be a confiscation of a package that will stop your shipment from reaching you. What will happen with enforcement is that the AG office or task force will make a purchase from your website to see if you're compliant. Those that aren't compliant will get a records subpoena and then be forced to pay a fine(s), typically of astronomical proportions based on which laws of that state you've broken and how many times. 50 shipments at 1k fine each is a lot of trouble.

State AG's can subpoena records at any time and typically they'll ask to see docs on age verification records, shipping manifests, child-resistant packaging certifications, lab tests, procedural compliance documents, etc that correspond to the laws of that state, even though they've never purchased from you. If you're not compliant, then fines and legal fees based on any shipments you've had in that state. If you fail to produce the documents or records, then you'll be forced to pay a settlement fee/fine to the AG. So warning is, unless you're compliant and keep good records you'll get porked eventually.

There are so many states with age verification and shipping restriction laws and with only a fraction of online websites following any of the actual laws,
it'll be easy money for AG's and will make them champions of protecting the children.

It's only a matter of time before subpoena's for info start going out for many states in my opinion..

hoog

So it's more about baffling with bullchips than about dazzling with brilliance.
Will they go after the lending institutions next to choke off your cash flow?

MaxwellPink

ECF Veteran
I don't how a state can enforce there state law on a company in another state.
If that company ships to their state, they can. It's kind of like sales tax here in this state. As a MA based business I'm required to collect sales tax on all taxable items I sell and are shipped to a MA address. Doesn't matter where the billing address is.

Or international shipping: It's illegal for me to ship items containing reclaimed fibers to countries that ban the import of used clothing, and I could be fined for doing so.

Personally, I think that if the name on the CC and mailing address are in sync with the bank's info, that should be enough for verification. My son may have obtained a Debit card in his name at 17 but it had to be MY name on the account until he turned 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread