Massachusetts HB 3726 - UPDATED 7/30/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewlady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
WICKED IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Massachusetts - Bill H.3726 is on the move, and we need help NOW. Please read the bill, see if anyone that represents you is on the committee, and CALL THEM. Tell them your story. Call your state reps and senators, and send emails. A simple minor ban is something we can all agree to. Banning the use of vapor products harms current adult smokers, who will have less of an incentive to switch. AND the days of Massachusetts vape meets will be history unless we STOP THIS BILL.

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/188/House/H3726

Massachusetts vendors, or concerned vendors with customers in Massachusetts, can find a handout (word document) for their customers here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/casaamembers/693390654032118/

Alternatively, send me a PM with your email and I will send the doc to you for distribution.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Ok, I went through the whole schmoo and the only things I see in there:

Amending the definition of "tobacco product" to include e-cigarettes.

Prohibiting the sale of "tobacco product" to anyone under the age of 18.

What am I missing? I'm not seeing a connect-the-dots to taxation or restrictions on e-cig shops. If anything they go out of their way in section C to exempt vape shops from any restriction:

(c) No manufacturer or retailer shall distribute or cause to be distributed any free samples of a tobacco product in any of its forms in any retail establishment, excluding retail tobacco stores and smoking bars.
(emphasis added.)

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
HB 3726 would falsely redefine smoking to include vaping to ban vaping in all workplaces and public places in MA.

SECTION 5. Section 22 of chapter 270 of the General Laws is hereby amended by striking out, in subsection (a) in lines 90 to 92, as appearing in the 2012 Official Edition, the definition for “Smoking” or “Smoke”, and inserting in place thereof the following definitions:-

“Smoking” or “smoke”, the inhaling, exhaling, burning, or carrying of any lighted or heated cigar, cigarette, pipe or other tobacco product or plant product intended for inhalation in any manner or any form. “Smoking” or “smoke” also includes the use of electronic cigarettes, electronic cigars, electronic pipes, or other similar products that rely on vaporization or aerosolization.

The following clause (at the end of Section 4 of HB 3726) would expressly authorize any local government in MA to ban the sale of e-cigs.

Nothing in this section shall preempt further limitation of the sale of a tobacco product in any of its forms by the commonwealth or any department, agency or political subdivision of the commonwealth.

And if HB 3726 is enacted into law, the ANTZ will then introduce legislation to tax e-cigs at a similar rate as cigarettes, and to require e-cig marketers to obtain tobacco licenses (by falsely claiming that e-cig companies have been exploiting loopholes in MA's tobacco laws, and claiming those loopholes must be closed "to protect the children and public health").

Last edited:

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
WICKED IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Massachusetts - Bill H.3726 is on the move, and we need help NOW. Please read the bill, see if anyone that represents you is on the committee, and CALL THEM. Tell them your story. Call your state reps and senators, and send emails. A simple minor ban is something we can all agree to. Banning the use of vapor products harms current adult smokers, who will have less of an incentive to switch. AND the days of Massachusetts vape meets will be history unless we STOP THIS BILL.

Massachusetts vendors, or concerned vendors with customers in Massachusetts, can find a handout (word document) for their customers here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/casaamembers/693390654032118/

Alternatively, send me a PM with your email and I will send the doc to you for distribution.

No CTA? :?:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
On Monday, the Massachusetts Joint Health Care Financing Cmte recommended approval of HB 3726 to ban vaping in all workplaces (by falsely redefining smoking as including use of smokefree e-cigs), redefine e-cigs as tobacco products, ban e-cig sales to minors; referred to MA House Ways and Means Cmte
https://malegislature.gov/Committees/House/H34

MA vapers and vendors need to contact the House Ways and Means Cmte urging them to ban the sale of e-cigs to minors, but to remove the provision in the bill to redefine "smoking" as including the use of smokefree e-cigs (which would ban vaping in all workplaces) and to remove the provision in the bill to redefine "tobacco" as including e-cigs (as that will open the door for e-cig taxation and e-cig vendor licensing next year as the ANTZ will claim e-cigs are exploiting a "loophole in the tobacco law").

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA

BostonSean

Oct 20, 2014
Stoughton, MA

BostonSean

Oct 20, 2014
Stoughton, MA
Unreal. This quote has me laughing out loud:

The board has grown increasingly frustrated trying to stay a step ahead of tobacco companies’ slick marketing and new products, such as 69-cent bubble gum-flavored cigars aimed at luring younger smokers, Swedberg said.

As if kids really buy those things because they want to smoke a cigar. They already have the {OTHER STUFF} to go in the wrap so what good does it do to ban them? I've made a bowl out of an empty pack of Marlboro's in a pinch, this won't change anything. The whole thing is ludicrous. As stated in the article, people will just drive 5 miles to get these products. All it does is hurt the local store owners. Hell, one of my friends just left an hour ago to drive to NH because cartons are $50 rather than the $95 here. It's 50 miles each way...

Another good one:

“This sends a clear message to residents that this is a bad product,” said D.J. Wilson

Yeah, because up till now it was unclear. It really burns me to see govt making choices for us like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Just found this article that states they are banning all tobacco products, including vapor. Everything except big Pharma of course.
Westminster proposes first-in-state ban on tobacco sales - Massachusetts - The Boston Globe

Ridiculous proposal. On some level I hope they go thru with the ban and all businesses leave while their town goes bankrupt. Or maybe a prohibition-style mob takes over... That may be the only way to show the tobacco Taliban their actions are absurdly misguided.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Just found this article that states they are banning all tobacco products, including vapor. Everything except big Pharma of course.
Westminster proposes first-in-state ban on tobacco sales - Massachusetts - The Boston Globe

Those dumb-asses.

It's only a 32 mile round trip for $50-$60 cartons from The Country Mile in Greenville, NH.
Nice scenic ride to save over $20/carton on coffin-nails for those still involved in suicide on the installment plan.

Smooth move Ex-lax, you lost yourself more tax dollars.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...Wtag&oq=Westminster,+MA&gl=us&mra=ls&t=m&z=11

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread