Mature Vapers! Talk to us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
PA USA
"Mature" has two meanings here. One being mature of age. This is really intended for an older crowd with older memories, but there isn't any imposed age limit. If you like older folks, can relate to them, and want to hang out with them; come on in.

Two being mature in behavior - respect, compassion, and the willingness to understand other people. Please don't bring your ego in here. Everyone is important but no one is more important than the others.

Talk about your vaping experience(s) - how you got here, what your plans are, what PV you use, what juice you like. From previous experience, I know this can lead to other subjects. And that is fine. But we, as a group, have the right to limit those subjects. I don't want to make a list of those subjects. You will be fine if you always consider the feelings and sensitivities of others. Humor and joking around is encouraged.

So, talk. Tell us about your vaping.

Bluesman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
PA USA
You sure do qualify, Bullette. And welcome. Still quite active at 63 - that is a good thing! Good for you. If you enjoy your work, keep going.

Similar to the old over 55 thread, with an extra tablespoon of "respect." As for the new over 55 thread, I do not know because I haven't been there, but I hope not.

There are just more choices now. You, my friend, are welcome here.

harleydiva

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2012
Southern Michigan
Good morning!! I know I qualify at 64. I can handle "mature", but do not respond to things like "old", or "senior"...LOL. They have a group at church called Prime Timers. They keep inviting me to events, but I don't go because it sounds like it is for old people. I still work (Behavior Consultant), ride a Harley Softail, play with electronic toys, and hang out with my housemate and my critters.

Smoked since I was 16, and like most of us, tried to quit many times with all the usual paraphernalia.....it never worked because I really liked to smoke, and it was my stress thing. Housemate has COPD (never smoked) and asthma, and will fall out coughing and choking around smoke.....meaning I had to go outside and freeze my .... off to smoke much of the year. Started looking at e-cigs couple of months ago when one of my clients got one. I initially did a google search, and found all the usual stuff, but didn't pull the trigger. Fortunately, in my search, I ran into ECF before I spent money on the junk. After several days reading, I ordered a KGO kit. It came on March 12. I charged the batteries, set up a carto, took a couple of hits knew I could do it. Haven't smoked a real cig since.

Bullette the Cowdog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2012
Treasure Coast, FL
Thanks for the welcome Bluesman. My vaping experience:
Started smoking @ 14. Got up to 3 pk/day & quit @ 30. Started playing around with tobacco again @ 52 & got hooked again. Yes I'm dumb dumb dumb & I was in denial about addiction. Thought I could handle a couple now & then. Oh well.
Picked up an ecig a couple years ago cuz I was too embarrassed for anyone to know I was smoking & I needed the nix fix. Didn't work of course.
Found ECF in March. . Got a kgo. Have only smoked about 20 analogs in the last 2 months.
Glad you are here.

Last edited:

tinajfreeman

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Hi! I'm Tina, 45 year old mother of 4, work as a manager for a software/consulting firm and work from home over half the time. My kids are boys 20, 15 and 6...and my last is the Princess of the Castle, a 3 year old girl.

I tried smoking for the first time around 20, when out having a beer. When I started smoking, it was no longer really considered cool and I knew it was stupid from day 1. But it didn't take long before I was hooked. I never smoked more than about a pack of ultralights a day (ok sometimes I could down a whole pack at a party if drinking), and tried to quit literally hundreds of times using every method known to man. In retrospect, I believe I was self-medicating for ADHD and stress. I smoked over 20 years.

Nothing I tried worked. I had a love/hate relationship with my smoking. Hated the danger, but loved the actual act of smoking as much as the nicotine.

I was online about two and a half years ago and saw a free trial offer for an electronic cigarette. That sounded like EXACTLY what I needed! But then I read the fine print and found out yes, it was too good to be true and sounded like an expensive commitment for something I wasn't even sure would work.

So I started searching the net for ecigs, found a couple of brands...found ECF and looked for reviews on the ones I was considering (there was not much available then, not even the eGo, just cig lookalikes and a lot of crazy mods people were building in their garages...which was cool but not for me).

So I bought my cig lookalike and I was amazed with it. I knew this could work for me! I battled with constantly recharging the tiny batteries and put up with constantly dripping into tiny foam filled carts to keep the vapor going. Experimented with the juices available at the time and just kept trying to improve the experience, but didn't go back to smoking.

This was my dream come true! I could smoke without 99% of the risk.

When the ego's came out, I finally found an experience that satisfied me.

Last year had a 7 month relapse with smoking. Started with a marriage crisis and I drank too much, too. Not enough to affect my functioning but enough wine to drown my pain every night. Eventually I started getting a wheeze when i went to sleep, and that woke me up. I thought, "WHY on earth am I doing this to myself, especially when I KNOW for a FACT that vaping works for me?". It made me think long at hard about playing Russian Roullete with my life when I still have two small kids? I'll be in my 60's when my youngest graduates high school! I want to see them graduate college, be there when they have my grandchildren.

So I dragged out my ego's, ordered a couple new batteries and some new juices and got back on the vaping wagon. I haven't looked back. Tried my cigs a couple times since and after a couple literally threw out the rest of the pack. Amazing after a short time my tastebuds readjusted to hating the taste of cigarettes.

I don't use the Joye tanks or cartridges any more...I have come to prefer clearomizers. I don't do big tanks because because I change up flavors frequently throughout the day and keep 8-10 full of different juices. I still use Joyetech batteries though, 900-2400 mah mod, because they seem to last me a very long time and work for me. Extra batteries are relatively inexpensive now, so I keep 7-8 of them charged up with different flavors in them in my pencil jar on my desk.

I won't risk my life any more with analogs. Vaping has become not only a safer solution for me, it is now my preferred solution. If you told me tomorrow I could go back to smoking without health consequences, I would still be a vaper.

Last edited:

DMF

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2010
Slower Lower Delaware
I can see the light of 50 now, so I think I qualify as well.
Smoked since I was 11. Quit only when pregnant. Doc warned me I would have serious lung issues due to certain meds I am taking if I didn't quit immediately (basically said i was skating on thin ice and the med was known to cause issues smoking would increase those odds.)
Took the leap thinking I was gonna just "cut down"(really didn't want to quit. I always enjoyed smoking.) within three months I realized I hadn't picked up a cigarette in three days , decided I apparently really didn't need them. Every now and again I'll have a cigarette, when stressed or in a crowd of smokers .(most all the relatives smoke.) But half way thru I'm passing it off to hubby cause it's just "meh" and reaching frantically for my pv with my fav liquid!
Too young for the 55+ group, but think this one will let me qualify.

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
For 42 years I was a smoker - generally 1 1/2 to 2 PAD. I loved smoking. Even though I quit for the length of two pregnancies I still went back because I missed it so much. The more people nagged me to quit, the more stubborn I was about continuing even though I had chronic bronchitis and had to clear my throat constantly.

When taxes on cigarettes rose and they became too expensive I just started rolling my own (with filtered tubes). One day I was googling in an effort to find less expensive RYO tobacco and saw an ad for an electronic cigarette. Sounded pretty much like pure hokum to me so I googled further and found this forum. After a full day of reading about it I ordered my first PV - just out of curiosity. I enjoyed it so much I forgot to smoke. I had somehow managed to permanently quit accidentally. That was over 2 1/2 years ago.

No more bronchitis or phlegm. I'm no longer out of breath after minimal effort, and I was able to greatly reduce my blood pressure meds. These things are life savers and I've spread the love to a great many others who are also now either non-smokers or smoke far less.

Bluesman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
PA USA
I just got finished brushing down a horse and wanted a cup of coffee, so I thought I would drop in here. Hello to the familiar faces and the new faces. Nice to see you all.

Too young for the 55+ group, but think this one will let me qualify.

DMF, I was the OP of the old 55+ thread and I decided to change that this time. I always thought it was wrong of me to confine that group by age. I like to think of it as "mature." People younger than 55 can be mature as well as people over 55 can be immature. It's more of a behavior and personality thing.

I want this thread to be friendly, fun, and filled with happy vapers. But most of all I want it to be kind, considerate, and respectful - not only to people, but to all living things.

I'll stop back later today. Please arrange the furniture as you want.

harleydiva

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2012
Southern Michigan
Hardware stuff::

All my stuff currently has either Stardust (CE4) type, or CE3 on it. I like the Stardust best for convenience of filling at this point. The Stardust has a cooler vape than the CE3.....sometimes I prefer the warmer vape of the CE3 with some juices. I do find the CE3 extremely easy to fill....but have to fiddle with filling the syringe sometimes. I just ordered some bottle caps with needles that you can just put on the bottle...so I'm thinking it will solve the problem of my ineptness with filling syringes.

I have been following some new stuff on the gotvapes thread. They are hinting at a new version of the Stardust coming very soon, so I'm interested to see what that will be. (Probably why they have the current Stardust on sale right now). The Phoenix is also supposed to be available in the next couple of days, including the 3ml version, so I will probably try some of those, as they are cheaper than Stardust. I also ordered 4 of the Stardusts from Discount Vapor after Blues posted about them... he has a version with long wicks rather than the current short ones.

Gotvapes also is teasing about a new "something" called a vivi nova ... http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ns-vivi-nova-about-hit-exclusively-first.html

I did also order a 3ml mini-sub tank from Mom and Pop....my first foray into tanks. It has a fill port with a little screw that comes out...so no pushing cartomizers in and out to fill it. I don't see myself getting heavy into tanks because I switch flavors a lot....but I am lusting after a Phiniac tank to put on the Provari....LOL. If only I would win the lottery....I am becoming a complete addict.

Last edited:

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
I have a favor to ask of y'all. Can you please not discuss hunting here, or the intentional harm of animals?

Thanks for understanding. Bluesman has devoted his life to caring for and saving animals. I am a pet owner; I have two cats and a dog. My daughter was the manager of a no-kill cat shelter.

Moving on...
Glad to see you new folks!!!

Blues, I am glad you put the disclaimer about maturity. And I rearranged the furniture already.

Sandy

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
I started smoking at 12. I had a big sister 8 years older than me. I thought she was oh-so-cool. She wore alpaca v-neck button up sweaters. Cashmere sweater sets. Girdles! High heels. A bubble hair do with a clip-on bow in the front The epitome of cool. And she smoked. She blew smoke rings, and did "ciggie acts" in the dark; drawing circles, making cool patterns with the cigarette's red end.

My sister would send me to the gas station to get her smokes. I think they cost 21 cents. The pack came out of the machine with 4 pennies taped to it.

I finally quit in 2001 for 10 years, then, like a big jerk, started bumming cigarettes occasionally. In 2011 when I was taking an oil painting class at the local community college. The other "kids" went out and smoked at breaks. I decided to bum one. And another. And another.... Soon I was up to 1/2 pack a day.

I was looking for a way to quit last fall, and discovered vaping in November, 2011 I've worked my way from 24 mg. down to 6 mg. Maybe I'll quit vaping soon, I don't know. I really enjoy vaping.

--Sandy

Last edited:

daisygirlie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2012
SE Ohio
Lucies I'm Hoooooooooome!

"Mature" has two meanings here. One being mature of age. This is really intended for an older crowd with older memories, but there isn't any imposed age limit. If you like older folks, can relate to them, and want to hang out with them; come on in.

Two being mature in behavior - respect, compassion, and the willingness to understand other people. Please don't bring your ego in here. Everyone is important but no one is more important than the others.

Talk about your vaping experience(s) - how you got here, what your plans are, what PV you use, what juice you like. From previous experience, I know this can lead to other subjects. And that is fine. But we, as a group, have the right to limit those subjects. I don't want to make a list of those subjects. You will be fine if you always consider the feelings and sensitivities of others. Humor and joking around is encouraged.

So, talk. Tell us about your vaping.

I don't have the brain cells to repeat all my info so here's daisy 101:

I type a lot (blues says I give him ADHD, lol!), I'm usually really manic, I love coming here to ECF to visit my friends, I quit smoking on 2/5 of this year :)

For the advance daisy course, simply look at my avatar and click the "1" at the very bottom after it says "blog posts." It's all there for the fun & weirdness of me!

Hi bluesman
Is this thread similar to the over 55 thread?
I'm 63 years young. I still ride a bike. I swim. I vape. I'm still employed.
Do I qualify as mature?

Welcome to the group Bullette! I think you'll find this a fine group of chatters! You'll probably see a lot of people "checking in" to the thread from the old one, you'll enjoy, laugh, be sad, feel triumphant in your success quitting and all that kind of stuff as people re-tell their "how I got to vaping" stories!

Thanks for the welcome Bluesman. My vaping experience:
Started smoking @ 14. Got up to 3 pk/day & quit @ 30. Started playing around with tobacco again @ 52 & got hooked again. Yes I'm dumb dumb dumb & I was in denial about addiction. Thought I could handle a couple now & then. Oh well.
Picked up an ecig a couple years ago cuz I was too embarrassed for anyone to know I was smoking & I needed the nix fix. Didn't work of course.
Found ECF in March. . Got a kgo. Have only smoked about 20 analogs in the last 2 months.
Glad you are here.

Gotta say, Da Nile is a fabulous river year round for most of us, isn't it? With me and the stinkies, I think I had a houseboat on it - I didn't just visit, lol! Congrats on being mostly cig free! You'll hear about how a lot of us dropped their analogs after their first puff on an e-cig, but there are a lot of people quitting the way you are with the combined process :) I've been clean (that sounds like a drug test somehow....) since 2/5 of this year. Today makes 12 weeks on the dot for me! Woohoo - I just realized that I can stop counting weeks and start counting whole months! 3 months smoke free - you'll get there yourself, I'm sure!

Oh! I just invited the middle aged peeps to come on over and join in the fun - it's like doublemint gum! Double the pleas....ok, never mind - Let's stick with the "double your fun" part ;)

End of my babbling for now. Colin's giving me the stink eye because I'm having chocolate chunk cookies and iced coffee for breakfast...maybe I should go have some cereal, ROFL!

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
Home again, Home again.....Hippitey Hop!!

LOL....my Dad used to say that. Daisy's post made me think of it....

Glad to see y'all.....have you noticed Blues is hanging out with a bunch of women??? :p

Well ... He IS a charmer, isn't he? ;) We'll pick up more menfolk along the way. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread