Mature Vapors (Immature ones too!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
I've really had enough of this thread dying for no reason.

Once upon a time it was a great lil thread and it's time to bring it back to life.

I've got an old KTS and a somewhat newer 19b and they work. I dare you to beat me.....

I'm here & been waiting for someone to knock. It's a great thread with some awesome people. Don't think I can beat you tho - I'm stuck on my Joye 18650 mod. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (keep telling that to my husband who winds up BREAKING things!)

BWhare

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
Indiana
Hey, I've got an 18650 Indulgence that works. It's got a head and a tube and that's about it. The tube is wearing down to the point where I sanded it down to copper (down to brass is next), I've had to replace a head but it still works. I use it every night with some 0 nic for bedtime - just cuz I don't really need dreams that are weirder than the norm.

It ain't broke, I don't fix. I recharge when it asks and leave it alone. What more could you ask?

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
I'm really happy with the 18650 & keep seeing 'new & better' come on the scene every 2 seconds. Then, I just sit back & wait for the complaints - they usually start approx. 1-2 weeks after. Please don't get me wrong, I do understand the 'hobby' aspect with a lot of the folks, however, I'm very content with the simplicity of my set-up. Unfortunately I believe I've been discontinued. I've hoarded up on a bunch of tubes & controllers so hope they keep holding up.

BWhare

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
Indiana
New and Better can usually be condensed down to "New" and you have to wait for a while to see if it will ever really be better. I started this whole project because I didn't like the idea of the next tax that was about to come down so, to me, "better" only means "cheaper".

If it does what it's supposed to do and doesn't cost me any more, I'm a happy camper. Once in a while (like for Christmas or for my first anniversay) I'll pick up something new but it always has to remain within the confines of "cheap". I'd say inexpensive but I can't be bothered trying to be something I'm not ;-)

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
I got started when my daughter gifted me with 3 different boxes of e cigs & I didn't have a clue as to what they were. When I saw what she paid for the 3 ($200) I made her return them & promised I would check into these gizmos. This new habit is breaking the bank as I did RYO for about 12 years & the cost was zip. I started buying pipe tobacco instead of reg cig because they raised the taxes sky high on the cig tobacco. Getting to this point has been quite costly so I'm just staying with what works..........BTW, what's the Indulgence & do they still make it?

BWhare

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
Indiana
An Indulgence (V4) is just a cheap battery tube (mine has dragons etched into it) with a variable head on it. They're still available but not something I'd advise - there are much better toys around. The head is kind of like an ego with interior and exterior threads so it takes eGo and 510 stuff but the whole thing is weak. The tube is brass with a copper coating and then chromed so it wears off rapidly. The head can fail (and has done so on mine) and you're left having to buy a new one for 6 or 7 dollars (and the tube is less than ten). There are much better alternatives around.

I use mine for going to bed ;-) I have a mini Vivi Nova with 0 nic that I can take to bed and watch TV for a bit before rolling over and going to sleep. The 18650 battery in it isn't as good as a respectable Panny but it will last a couple of nights before it needs to be recharged. The head runs in red for my preference and when it drops to pink, it's time to recharge. In actuality, there's a green, then red, then pink and then blue. The green will last a few minutes at full charge and it's about 4.2. The red runs from about 4.1 down to 3.8. The pink runs down to around 3.5 and the blue just tells you it's time to take it out. Those figures are only estimates as the product itself probably says something entirely different but they're from my own experience.

Still, it's not a bad little toy as long as you don't expect too much and are willing to pay for the upkeep (new heads whenever they decide they're about to start turning themselves on and off while they're sitting on a table). It can't be too bad because I'm still using it - at least for a little while every night - and I've only bought one new head (and won't bother with another).

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
Hmmm....Sounds like something I have (ego type with a pattern on it). It's in my back stock in case of emergency. It works fine & is rather good looking, but, doesn't hold a charge very long. At this point, I'm just hoping my Joye mod keeps chugging along. I've stocked up on Panny batts & I keep checking out all the new goodies; haven't found one yet as cheap & reliable. Guess my next purchase will just be another charger - need a back-up as I'm now using my past back-up.

BWhare

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
Indiana
I suppose I should throw in a cheap charger with the next FastTech order. My original was slowly dying so I picked up an Xtar but it occurs to me that what should have been my backup is probably inoperative now as parts of it have been falling off for months.

The Xtar I picked up is of the single cell variety. When I was looking, I was considering a multi battery but realized that there is only one of me so I can't actually use up more than one battery at a time.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
Knock knock, anybody home? WE ARE! Yay, we just gotta keep it going. How adorable is this? I got it for stealth vaping on a cross country train trip later this month
2013-08-06144453_zps6426f5d4.jpg

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
Knock knock, anybody home? WE ARE! Yay, we just gotta keep it going. How adorable is this? I got it for stealth vaping on a cross country train trip later this month

Kind of reminds me of this. ...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375990059450.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375990059450.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 12

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield

Hey Sandy....Very cute, I like it! I just took in a purple sub tank today - would look great on your 'stealth' :vapor:

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
Matt, they DO look like twinnies. I think mine is smaller than yours. Here it is with a mini nova. HAHAHAHA, yours is bigger than mine ;)
2013-08-08181942_zps4b6e6fb1.jpg

That little carto in the first picture is so teensy! It's maybe an inch long. It lasts around three puffs like an atty. I thought it would last longer than that, but it still will be good for hiding under my shirt and vaping in my seat.

Last edited:

BWhare

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
Indiana
Completely off topic.... juz cuz.....

I've been using mechanicals for the most part this year. I've also been playing with rebuildable attys. An odd thing occurs when you pair the two. Sometimes you find the vape or flavor drops off. Sometimes a coil has gotten gunked up so it's not firing quite right. Sometimes the battery has died enough that it needs to be changed out. Most of the time, it's rather inconvenient to check the coil so it's easier to check the battery first - but then you have to haul out the multimeter and fiddle with it until you can get the contacts placed properly.

I decided that this was way too hard (mostly because I'm lazy and would prefer to spend my time doing useful things.... like filling my glass or just peacefully vaping). I built a battery tester because the two that I already had were too small to accept an 18650. Turns out that FastTech sells little LEDs specifically for testing batteries and they also sell battery holders. I ordered both pieces, opted for free shipping and sat back to wait.

As luck would have it that the order didn't cost enough to warrant USPS and ended up coming by China Air or something like that (apparently that means that they attach the package to a balloon and float it across the Pacific via some kind of convoluted jet stream). Eventually it arrived (I now keep bits and pieces listed to add to any shopping cart to make the shipping faster).

It took a couple of minutes to make it work and then a couple of days to cut down the battery holder and add a plastic case for the LED. So now I had a working battery tester and when things didn't taste right, it took about thirty seconds to take out the battery and decide whether I needed to replace the battery or fix the coil.

Then, one day, things weren't right, I dropped the battery on the tester and nothing lit up. Blue air began to surround me (I have little patience for poor craftsmanship) - I proceeded to take the whole tester apart and even hooking the battery directly to LED produced no results. In a rare flash of inspiration, I hauled out the multimeter and tested the battery.

Seems that the LED needs at least 3 volts to light up - anything less and it just plays dead. I'd have known that if I'd understood the description when I was buying the thing - who'd ever think that something that reads 3-30 volts means that below 3 won't work and above 30 will probably self destruct (I know, anyone with a functional brain).

So now I understand the quirks of the beast but I'm still a complainer (yeah, complaining is one of those "useful" things I'd rather be doing). If the meter was made to test 18650 batteries, why does it have 3 number sections and only one decimal place (it reads 04.1 instead of 4.10). It should read 3.00 to 4.22 or something like that - or better yet, 2.00 to 5.00. So now I have new mission. I absolutely "must" find one somewhere for less than $2 because I'm not only lazy, I'm cheap (or poor, take your pick).

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread