Max mAh battery for a Yihi SX Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterWar

Apr 15, 2015
Girona, Spain
Hello eveyone,

I've been vaping with an istick 30W for about a month and I'm ready for the next step, I'm about to buy a Yihi SX Mini.

Could you please recommend some good batteries? my primary concerns are safety (obviously) and battery life.

I plan to use it with Kanger subtank OCC Nickel coils that are rated at 0.15ohm.

If I remember correctly, the SX Mini peaks at 85W in powerfu+ mode. If I'm doing the math correcly I'll be wanting to look for batteries that are rated 24A at least (square root(85/0.15)= 23.8)

Am I doing the math correctly? I assume the variable resistance of NI-200 wire must influence the required power somehow, I just want to be on the safe side.

I find that my istick battery runs out quite quickly when vaping over 20W. It has an internal battery ratted at 2200 mAh. So I'm looking for better capability,

So far my best find has been the LG HE2 18650 Battery rated at 35A with a capability of 2500 mAh.

Thank you in advance for your repply!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The LGHE2 battery is a 20 amp continuous discharge battery, not 35 (pulse rating?). We don't rely on pulse ratings, as they are unreliable and simply marketing crap. Continuous discharge is the industry standard spec. There are no 18650 batteries with more than 30 amp continuous. Period.

The Sony VTC4 2100 mah and OrbtronicSX 22100 mah are true 30 amp continuous batteries.

Samsung25R and LGHE2 are 20 amp continuous with 2500 mah.

Make a choice -- high mah or high amp; you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Battery Basics for Mods

Purple Efest Batteries Not As Advertised

PeterWar

Apr 15, 2015
Girona, Spain
Baditude thank you very much for this valuable information.

Seems like my best bet to run the 0.15 ohm coils are the VTC4 and/or VTC5 then, but are about to be discontinued.

Do you know if there is any website that have genuine ones still avaliable in europe?

Also, are there plans from kanger to make stock Ni-200 coils with higher ohm ratting than 0.15?

IanDVaypes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2014
Austin, TX
The LGHE2 battery is a 20 amp continuous discharge battery, not 35 (pulse rating?). We don't rely on pulse ratings, as they are unreliable and simply marketing crap. Continuous discharge is the industry standard spec. There are no 18650 batteries with more than 30 amp continuous. Period.

The Sony VTC4 2100 mah and OrbtronicSX 22100 mah are true 30 amp continuous batteries.

Samsung25R and LGHE2 are 20 amp continuous with 2500 mah.

Make a choice -- high mah or high amp; you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Battery Basics for Mods

22100 mah? Where the heck can I find this battery? Please seems me a link.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Just to keep things real for those who are interested:

• The purple Efest 3100 mah battery has been found to be only 4 - 6 amps continuous. It is a rewrapped Panasonic cell.

• The purple Efest 2500 mah battery has been found to be only 20 amps continuous. It is a rewrapped LG cell.

Efest has a long history of over-rating their battery specs, advertising a "pulse" rating while their competiters advertise by publishing the industry standard "maximum continuous" discharge rate. IMO, this causes confusion when consumers try to compare battery spec between battery brands, and I'm calling Efest out on this.

Efest doesn't even make their own batteries, they rewrap other manufacturers' cells. How does adding a pretty purple wrapper spontaneously increase a battery's specs?

Reactions: jstrong

refuzeandrezizt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2015
Western, KY
I use the Purple Efest 35A 2500 mAh batteries, and have been for awhile now. Used them in everything from mechs to variable mods. My typical RDA builds are in the .2 to .3 range, my typical RTA builds are in the .5 to .8 range. Use them in the SX Mini M with temp control as well, with most builds in the .06 to .09 range. I have six that I use and they all work fine. I am fully aware that they are rewraps though, and not what they state. But, even though everyone seems to like to dog them, they work fine for my needs. All the reviews I read on them are great as well.

PeterWar

Apr 15, 2015
Girona, Spain
Agreed that we should be aware that Efest bateries are rewaps. Due to that fact, I prefer to trust the "originals".

I also knowledge that continuous discharge should be the preferred unit of measure when comparing batteries, but I'm wandering if the new temp control mods change that paradigm.

My reasoning being that NI-200 wire has a positive temperature coeficient so the resistance will go higher as the coil heats up, hence decreasing the max A.

Also, when operating the Yihi SXMini with powerfu+ feature it will only hit 85W for a short period of time and then gradualy decrease to 60W as the coil heats up, hence also decreasing the max A needed.

So maybe pulse rating would proof to be a valid unit of measure to assess the safety of batteries to be used on the SXMini?

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Baditude thank you very much for this valuable information.

Seems like my best bet to run the 0.15 ohm coils are the VTC4 and/or VTC5 then, but are about to be discontinued.

Do you know if there is any website that have genuine ones still avaliable in europe?

The VTC5 was discontinued quite some time ago. Any that you may find are either going to be counterfeits or will have sat on a shelf somewhere for a year or more. Personally I would avoid anything being advertised as a VTC5 at this point.

Along with the Sony VTC4 you may want to consider the Xtar 30A. It is a VTC4 rewrap, but they buy their batteries directly from Sony so you're going to get a real VTC4 if you buy the Xtar.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
So maybe pulse rating would proof to be a valid unit of measure to assess the safety of batteries to be used on the SXMini?

The problem with pulse ratings is that there is no standard on what defines a pulse. It may be a 30 second pulse, it may be a 10 second pulse, it may be a 1 second pulse. You really have no idea how long you can run that type of amp draw on the battery before you damage it.

Reactions: Baditude

PeterWar

Apr 15, 2015
Girona, Spain
I use only Samsung 25R batteries in my SX Mini, and they have done quite well for me. I get around 20K Joules on the counter out of a charge.

Could someone confirm if 50J is the max setting for the SX Mini under temp control? if so, then I think that the Samsung 25R would be ok to use with 0.15 ohm coils as 50J= 50 W/sec so root(50/0.15)=18.25A which is way under the rated max continuous discharge current of 20A.

The_Guyver

May 20, 2015
If you won't go over 40 watts, you can use Samsung 30q, which is 3000 mAh.
Battery+RevolutionABCDE.jpg

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Could someone confirm if 50J is the max setting for the SX Mini under temp control? if so, then I think that the Samsung 25R would be ok to use with 0.15 ohm coils as 50J= 50 W/sec so root(50/0.15)=18.25A which is way under the rated max continuous discharge current of 20A.

Thanks for your input guys.
    I'm also realising that the SX Mini has an eficiency of 93% that must be taken into account.
    I'm just trying to ascertain the max A required to operate the SX Mini with temp control. Right now my estimate is root(50/0.15)/0.93=19.6A.
    Could someone help me on this?

All of your estimates are in the 18A-20A range and trying to get a more accurate number for the current draw I think will prove fruitless. What about cell temperature, cell internal resistance, cooling (or lack thereof), how often you draw (current duty cycle), effective cell capacity (every cell is different)? All these factors come into account if you want to make an accurate determination of hard a cell will be used and how fast it will degrade.

And it's just not worth the trouble in my opinion. Even your estimate of 18.25A is very close to the max rating of 20A. You'd be hard pressed to find a difference in performance or impact on the cell between an estimate of 18.25A versus 19.6A. Both will be running the cell hard.

If other users are reporting no problems and good run times with true 20A cells then you can go with a 20A cell. You won't be vaping continuously so a 20A cell can work just fine for your estimated current draw. Especially if that is what the manual recommends.

But if you want some extra margin there for any concerns you have, use a cell with a 30A continuous rating. Then, if you really want to dig into this, once you have your SX Mini you can measure cell temperature or the actual current draw to see how hard you're actually running the cell. You might find you can go down to a 20A cell. But, you certainly will have not made a bad decision by using a cell rated above what the manual recommends.

Last edited:
    Reactions: jmercury1
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread