Mallorca, Spain
Hi, Sonicbomb
Thanks for your quick reply

Of course I'll check what wattage tastes best for me
But I'd like to know the rule for such coil first
For example: 17w to 20w or something like that

I would begin at about 12 or 13 watts.
Which device are you using?
What are the details of the Clapton? Cores? AWG?

Cheers
I

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There is no wattage range for any self built coil but starting somewhere low and working your way up will serve you, your build (which will not suddenly be assailed by overheating and burn, well your wick might have difficulties. What works is what works for you.

The ohms are fairly high, it depends on how quickly the chunk of metal you have in there heats up which would ALSO depend on a host of other factors, so... Just start. If you lose 3 minutes starting too low..... You have way too much on your plate. So to speak.

Anna

tiluid

May 9, 2017
Bulgaria
Sounds like you have some good advice there Mate.
Good Luck:)

It's probably best to post your thread in the right section from now on, you're not supposed to post in the New Members section anymore:D

I'm sorry
You're right
My question is answered
I was in a hurry
Thanks
You guys are top

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Hello, guys!

I have a question, so what is the wattage range for a 0.85ohm, 2.5mm, SS, clapton coil?

Looked it up at SteamEngine without success.
Hope you've got the key!

Kind regards
I'm using a 0.43Ω 26/36 3mm 316L clapton in the Hussar Project X.
IMG_0049cr.jpg

It vapes great anywhere from 16-40 watts (likely could go higher).

Others have said it best... try and see what works best for you. Best route to take. In the end that's all that matters.

Good luck and have Fun! :thumb:

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
What kind of Clapton coil? Simple single core (single wire wrapped with a smaller Ga wire) Dual core "fused Clapton? It really helps if you give us all the details... RDA, RTA... single coil or dual coils (I will assume single at that ohms) How may wraps? Sorry for the 20 questions...
This is a simple answer... install the coil (before wicking) Start with lower watts and pulse the coil (dry-burn) In low light, see how it glows (hopefully fairly evenly... no hot spots) This will give you a good idea of how many watts to vape at. So you pulse the coil at 15 watts... glows evenly but doesn't heat up really fast so maybe you could push it to 20 watts while vaping (same thing, work your way up slowly) I have found this simple method better than relying on steam engine (but it is very useful for making the coil) Are you winding the coil yourself? Learn how to "rake the coil" and look for "hot spots" (there is a forum just for coils) I make most mistakes when I'm in a hurry ;)

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
It's not as simple as matching ohm to watts. My MTL "drop-in" coil at 0.6 oms works fine at 15 watts, my RTA coil at 0.8 ohms works at 20 watts (not exact... just saying) the RTA coil is a simple clapton (single core) Fancy coils will also have slower "ramp-up" time (heats slower, cools slower) If your coil is a dual core (fused clapton) you might even push it to 20 watts.

tiluid

May 9, 2017
Bulgaria
Thanks again for the replays
All you people here rocks

The coil is: pre-build chinese brand: "Coil Father", fused clapton (I guess. No info on the box. Can attach photos if necessary), 0.85Ohm, 2.5mm inner diameter, SS
The tank is: Ammit MTL RTA
The mod is: Pico 25
Batteries are: Sony VTC6

I have another DL set-up which works pretty good, but would like to try MTL.

This is my first steps with MTL, so this coil is for testing. I will buy fine hand made coils after the test is successful :)

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
This is my first steps with MTL, so this coil is for testing. I will buy fine hand made coils after the test is successful
"Fused Clapton" implies more than on core wire (nothing wrong with that... many people love those for DL) but you might like to keep it really simple for MTL... simple round wire (or single core Clapton) You might be surprised how well a simple 26 ga round wire works for that. I know many people like 2.5mm ID coils for MTL but I prefer 3mm myself (allows more wick to avoid leaking issues) Kanthal, SS or Ni80... your choice.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    "Fused Clapton" implies more than on core wire (nothing wrong with that... many people love those for DL) but you might like to keep it really simple for MTL... simple round wire (or single core Clapton) You might be surprised how well a simple 26 ga round wire works for that. I know many people like 2.5mm ID coils for MTL but I prefer 3mm myself (allows more wick to avoid leaking issues) Kanthal, SS or Ni80... your choice.

Many people love the Fused Clapton coils for MTL as well, like myself;)
    This stuff vapes very nice at about 17 watts:)
    $4.97 Authentic Vandy Vape Ni80 Superfine MTL Fused Clapton Heating Wire - 30*2/38 AWG / 0.25mm*2/0.1mm dia. / 3.5ohm/ft / 10ft at FastTech - Free Shipping

tiluid

May 9, 2017
    Bulgaria
    @Mordacai, about your question: On the box is written 0.85ohm, but the Pico 25 mod reads the coil as 0.75ohm!

The build and the wicking were successful. No dry hits till 29 - 31 watts. Very small flooding, sipping a little bit of e-liquid, but bearable.

The taste is going to get to the top after a day or two, cause we are talking about a case with low-cost chinese coil.

Next step: I will upgrade some of the juices to 6mg nico for MTL and maybe to get new hand made coils.

Hope everything will flow smooth and to develop my MTL experience :)

Kind regards

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread