Status
Not open for further replies.

durgidog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2012
memphis, tn
www.thomasin.com
Anyone own one? I've never tried a bottom feeder and the sale price of $45 drew me in, I purchased one and it should be here this week. I couldn't find much info on the forum - does anyone have experience with this device they'd like to share? This is the newer version made by a different woodworker than the originals.

I love dripping but don't do it much because of stopping to refill. I'd like to take advantage of the bottom feeding and use an atty instead of a carto. I have three 510 atties that are not sealed on the bottom (have holes) - can I use them? Two of my atties are bridged - what's this I've read about removing the bridge? is that advised?

Thanks y'all!

img_00000327.jpg

Last edited:

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Your 510 atties with the hole in the connector are the right kind.

In the Maximum Vapors "Luicy Juicy" sealed, no-needle feed system, a hole in the back of the woodie allows you to squeeze ("squonk") a bladder inside that holds 5mls of juice. Nicquid is forced up through the holes in the 510 base connector and atty, saturating the coils. With a little experience (and some discipline), you'll learn not to over-squonk, which causes juice to overflow out the connector onto the outside of the woodie.

Bridged or bridgeless atties are a matter of choice. Some people prefer bridged, others bridgeless.

Since your Wet Woodie V1.5 is a fixed 3.7 volt device, low-resistance atties (1.5-2.0 ohms) will produce a much fuller and more satisfying vape. There's a growing niche in the market now for build-your-own custom atties, but assuming that you'll be using preassembled atties, I'd strongly recommend checking out HH357 atomizers from Avid Vaper or IKV i06 atomizers from Ikenvape (or other vendors who sell i06s). They put ordinary stock atomizers to shame and make bottom-feeding truly wonderful. I have a large stash of old stock atomizers, but I can't imagine using them ever again now that I have HH357s and i06s.

Atlantisboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2012
USA
Hey Bill, I have been looking at these also, I already have a vmod but wanted to know how it compared? If you over squonk does it just go into the fill cup or does it leak back inside the mod?The plastic version looked like it had a catch cup.

Also what is the deal with the chip on it, I thought I read that you could still put LR atomizers on the 5V version.

Any other views on it would be much appreciated.

Thank you

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
I've got a 5v luicy juicy myself (vaping on it now at work). they do not have a deep cup at the base of the 510 connector.

It is essentially a brass ring that is rounded and sits up slightly about a few millimeters. Similar to some brass washers I've seen.

A bit low tech but works fine. When I squonk (squeeze) the bladder I slightly tilt the LJ so the carto is a little lower than horizontal. when I squeeze I can see a small amount of juice start to emerge from the holes on the carto and thats when I stop squonking. The juice then is pulled right back into the bladder. Works very well. No leaks, no drips.

The chip I believe is a fixed voltage regulator chip which is rated at 5amps and will let you fire down to a 1.5 ohm.

I have 1.5s that work on it but have no 1.25s and I take short drags when I use my LRs. Don't want to push it since the vapor is already great with the short blasts.

The bladder set up is cool and solidly designed.

Tivo

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
Has anyone with a 5v LJ been able to use 14500 AW IMR batteries on theirs?

I have a set and they fit but the unit doesn't fire. they are not flat tops BTW, they are button tops

I'm using trustfire flames on it and they are a little tight but that's the only batteries I have that will fire it.

The AW's are a tad shorter but they still fit and seem to be contacting but no go.

HMM?

Just curious

Tivo

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Hey Bill, I have been looking at these also, I already have a vmod but wanted to know how it compared? If you over squonk does it just go into the fill cup or does it leak back inside the mod?The plastic version looked like it had a catch cup.

Also what is the deal with the chip on it, I thought I read that you could still put LR atomizers on the 5V version.

Any other views on it would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Atlantisboy,

I don't have a Woodie feeder, I have the same one you do---the 5 volt Luicy Juicy. In fact, I have two of them, one for my desk, one at my bedside (along with 25 other PVs in both locations).

I don't squonk until the slight gurgle is completely gone when vaping. Then I do a single 1-second press on the bladder. On occasion, I'll juice showing on the brass grommet (not really a catch cup or juice well), but I'm never squonked hard or long enough to get a juice overflow, so I don't know what happens.

I run a 3.0 ohm HH357 on one LJ and a 2.5 ohm IKV io6 on the other. Seems to me that running any atty with lower resistance than 2.5 on a 5-volt regulated device (especially one like the LJ that puts out a full 5 volts under load) would be asking for a popped coil almost immediately. The only feeder I'd ever run a 1.5 ohm atty on would be a 3.7 volt unit, like my old but surprisingly good Missy Wetbox or the 3.7 volt Old Goat feeder being made for me this week.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Has anyone with a 5v LJ been able to use 14500 AW IMR batteries on theirs?

I have a set and they fit but the unit doesn't fire. they are not flat tops BTW, they are button tops

I'm using trustfire flames on it and they are a little tight but that's the only batteries I have that will fire it.

The AW's are a tad shorter but they still fit and seem to be contacting but no go.

HMM?

Just curious

Tivo

Tivo,

I run Trustfire blues on my LJs. Trustfire flames are often a tad longer than the blues, making them a very tight fit.

I have some AW IMR 14500s, but I run those only on my 3.7 volt unregulated 2AA box mods. No need for them on a regulated 3AA box that uses two 14500s.

durgidog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2012
memphis, tn
www.thomasin.com
When I squonk (squeeze) the bladder I slightly tilt the LJ so the carto is a little lower than horizontal. when I squeeze I can see a small amount of juice start to emerge from the holes on the carto and thats when I stop squonking.

Is the tilting necessary? I was hoping I could hold the box upright and squonk. I avoiding buying other (gravity fed) models because they required tiling.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Thanks everyone for your answers.

Bill I don't have LJ I have a vmod thats why I was asking :)

Does the juice always go back in the bladder or does anyone get leaks?

Also Bill how does it feed the 357 , I have that atty on my Vmod and its quite tricky to feed.

Thanks

Sorry, I mixed up the OP and you.

The juice that appears between the tube of the atty and the grommet into which the atty mounts is a tiny bit, just almost a sheen of wetness. And no, it doesn't go away unless I unscrew the atty and wipe off the inside of the connector (I don't, since it doesn't bother me). I never get enough over-squonking to cause overflow onto the case, and the feed system is sealed, so the inside is always dry as a bone.

I have only one HH357, so my response is strongly anecdotal, but the Luicy Juicy feeds my 357 perfectly. I've read on other threads about these being temperamental, but my experience with this set-up is silky smooth and easy-as-pie. The 357 vapes just like my various i06s, which is to say beautifully, although I think the 357 is a tiny bit superior in bringing out flavors and providing fullness. Both types make me want to pitch all my "standard" atties into the trash. No comparison.

How do you like your VMod? 1.0? 2.0? XL? I've been tempted to get one on occasion, but something always comes up as an objection to steer me away. Obviously, many people love them. I have two Phids that I run with 5V nimh batteries, two regulated 5 volt Luicy Juicies, an Old Goat 3.7 volt on the way, and a 3.7 volt Missy Wetbox, which is no longer sold. Mine is the second version with the sealed switch. I know the Wetbox took a lot of scorn for being flimsy and overpriced at $50, but mine has performed like a champ for almost two years. With a 1.5 ohm i06, my Wetbox provides a surprisingly great vape. It's not the powerhouse that the 5V Luicy Juicy is, but it's tiny and light, which I like. Just a 2AA box and one 14500, same as the Old Goat will be.

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
Is the tilting necessary? I was hoping I could hold the box upright and squonk. I avoiding buying other (gravity fed) models because they required tiling.

For me it is not necessary when the bladders full but when it gets down to 3/4 I need to tilt it. The bladder does not have a feed tube down the center so if it's partially full and you squeeze when it's upright, it would take a serious squeeze to get the juice up to the coil because you would have to get the air out first. Sounds like a pain to tilt but trust me, it's not.

I don't even look at mine anymore when I tilt and squonk. I only need to squonk once quickly and I'm good to go for several drags . it has never dripped down the mod or carto/atty.

Tivo

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
No problem! Happy to share my experience with it.

The 5v has some serious power. I'm 3 weeks in on mine and still on the first carto I tried on it. It still has great flavor but the draw is getting a bit tighter so I'll need to either flush the carto or toss it soon. 3 weeks is the best I've ever gotten from a boge carto. I use the standard 3 ohm boges. Best standard cartos I've used.

I find myself using my LJ more than my provari lately. I use my provari with the Penelope RA or a mini sub tank but the provari gets heavy, especially with the Penelope, so the LJ is getting more play.

Tivo

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
It won't have the shut off switch but if they are still building it you could always ask if they could mod one. The wood is a lot thicker than the batt boxes so I don't know how doable it would be though. Never hurts to ask. The horn switches are pretty pocket safe though, but there's always a chance they can fire given the right pressure if no switch installed.

FWIW, I've carried both the varicool and my LJ in pocket many times with their switches left on and neither have ever fired from what I can tell.

Tivo

Last edited:

Atlantisboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2012
USA
Thanks everyone, very informative . Bill I have the Vmod XL and the 2.0 and really like them , they hit really well with LR atties and never leak. They are really comfortable in the hand and are great in a pocket. I was interested in the 5v LJ for higher voltage vaping but I am so used to not having any leaks with the Vmod I wanted to see if that was the case with the LJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread