Maybe a stupid question....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I did read the instructions, but I have been known to do things first and figure out how they work later.

My smok alien - the two battery indicators are always showing the left one showing lower than the right, right at the moment ones 48% and the other is 53%.

I charge it fully during the day before getting vaped to space and back playing Titanfall2 & Battlefield1, so it's fully charged 9 times out of 10 before I use it (vaping and gaming, good times)

Is it a worry? it's pretty new only had it 2 months odd.

Seems to work fine. But I always notice it and think that's odd, one is draining faster than the other?.

Thanks for any insight.

Vape on!

Reactions: Letitia

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Swap the two batteries in the slots, see if the low reading stays with the battery or stays with the slot. If it stays with the slot (i.e. left still lower than right) then the issue is in the mod. Either slightly different calibration (or lack of) on the metering, slightly higher internal resistance on that side.

If the low reading follows the battery, then they're not perfectly matched. Perhaps different age/use history. Or perhaps just slight variations in manufacturing.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'd swap the batteries too, and see if it's the batteries or the mod. But also, yes, do you use an external charger? If you are charging via USB it's not unusual to see some variance in battery charge (especially as the batteries age) even if you are getting a "full charge" reading. It's also best to save your USB port for updates and whatnot, once that's broken, you can no longer charge via USB or do upgrades unless you are good at electronics and can switch that USB out.

Married batteries for mods are generally a good idea.

Anna

Thanks for all the advice guys, I have got a Nitecore Intellicharger which I am going to give a blast. The batteries were the ones that came with it from the shop I am not sure of the brand.

But I did score a smok GX350 today!! but alas the charger is charging up it's batteries right now. The batteries that came with that are the 18650's.

Thanks for the advice and shall employ, cheers. I will try swapping them around.

Reactions: DavidOck

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Like @Izan says, it would help to know what batteries you're using. 18650 refers to the size and shape of the battery, but we need to know the make and model. Is there a brand name on the battery wrap, or any letters and numbers?

Also, what settings do you vape at? Knowing what batteries you're using and how you're using them might help us figure out whether they're getting stressed.

I just thought of one more question - has this issue developed recently, or have they always had different statuses?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Your problems may be coming from rewrapped batteries or the wrong kind under the wraps. If you can get the wraps off, you will likely find some information on the batteries themselves (you will need to be able to rewrap them however, which is cheap and easy, you just need to get a few wraps.

This blog can get you started on battery safety: Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

There's also a chart that lists all recommended batteries as well as reputable suppliers. You want to be sure that the batteries you are using are providing enough (and the right kind) of batteries to be using. Also, at the bottom you will find "safe" battery vendors who are actually selling what they say they do.

I don't buy mods with batteries, though I understand the convenience of it, it's really best to be sure that you don't have fakes, and that you are using the correct batteries. It's not a huge expense (batteries themselves are pretty inexpensive) and depending on where you live, you can get batteries fairly fast. I use IMRbatteries for all my batteries, they have great customer service, good prices, and most of my batteries get to me within 2 days.

Best of luck, hope you get things going well for you!

Anna

Necrospecter

Dulce de Leche to rule them all
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2017
Fort Worth Texas
www.forsakengamingnation.com
I have a friend in New Zealand, and some of the things she has told me about some of the shops there well let's just say it is not uncommon to find one that is quite shady(but that is true of anywhere in the world as long as you are dealing with people), so I could see a shop offering crap batteries, or even used ones with a kit they sell (I am not saying that is what they did). On the other hand, I have also seen this problem in a few reviews of Smok Alien. Swapping things out should tell you more and mayhaps ordering another set of batteries would not hurt, to help with the testing well that and it is always good to have backups

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
"What's wrong honey?" has never been a great question to ask, in my experience. Either something *becomes* wrong (because you ask the question-- "Why? Do I look like something's wrong? What's wrong with you?") or you get to hear about everything bad going on in one's partner's life and it's usually your fault. That question should be avoided like the plague.

You could probably ask it here in relative safety, but you are going to get lots of questions about your tank, mod, coils, batteries, etc. Be prepared, LOL.

Anna

Necrospecter

Dulce de Leche to rule them all
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2017
Fort Worth Texas
www.forsakengamingnation.com
or you get to hear about everything bad going on in one's partner's life and it's usually your fault.

Anna

That is one reason I have found it quite handy to keep a ballgag around :D

IMG_5851.JPG

Sorry for bumping this! I know it's old now, these are the batts, one always drains faster than the other. I will continue with them it's not such a biggie I suppose, but will invest in some more and use the charger more often. Been using the usb charger for the Smok Alien 220w.

Reactions: stols001

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Those are Sony VTC4s which assuming they are genuine have a 23 amp CDR (2100 mAh), and are good for 130 watts in your alien. If you stay under 110 watts then you could use a 20 amp battery like the Samsung 30Q and get longer run times as it has a 3000 mAh capacity.
The batteries you use are as important as the mod, so don't cheap out and don't be afraid to recycle them if you feel they are not performing.

img_4813-jpg.643937

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Notice the numbers don't match so they were manufactured on different dates. Batteries age whether you use them or not. Also I don't think the alien was the newer safety feature that regulates discharge between batteries so one draining faster is normal. Suggest switching the one the uses more power each time so they age evenly. If you have kept them in the same 2 slots the last 2 months switch them for 2 months till they are even again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread