MBV Juice tastes like chemicals and is burning the {Crap} out of my throat

Status
Not open for further replies.

owmang

Jul 3, 2014
New Zealand`
Just got some juice from mbv today. Started vaping it and it tastes strange like chemicals, and its burning the .... out of my throat with each hit. its a full VG ratio so i have no idea where this massive throat hit/itch/burn is coming from.
Im going to breath it over night since it could be the ethyl alcohol used for carrying the flavor. Just wondering if anyone has had this before and if so how did you fix it.

Avid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I know from the MBV flavors I've bought, they need a serious steeping (I know the taste you're referring to). Give your bottles a nice warm water bath, a good shake, let them breathe for an hour or two, recap and let them sit a couple weeks. See if you notice any difference then. The difference should be night and day.

owmang

Jul 3, 2014
New Zealand`
I know from the MBV flavors I've bought, they need a serious steeping (I know the taste you're referring to). Give your bottles a nice warm water bath, a good shake, let them breathe for an hour or two, recap and let them sit a couple weeks. See if you notice any difference then. The difference should be night and day.

thanks for the help man.

While I agree that this is probably the best solution, it's absolutely ridiculous that we have to steep our own juice to make it usable. We, as consumers, need to start telling vendors to finish their damned juice before selling it. Steeping is part of making juice.

Avid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
While I agree that this is probably the best solution, it's absolutely ridiculous that we have to steep our own juice to make it usable. We, as consumers, need to start telling vendors to finish their damned juice before selling it. Steeping is part of making juice.

Then we'd complain that it wasn't fresh :p ...and you *can*, if you so desire, vape it right out of the mailbox. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it.

In MBV's case, they offer consumers a choice of customizable pg/vg, extra shots, bottle sizes and nic strengths so I'd imagine they wouldn't have too many juices made up well in advance. Add to that MBV's "Build Your Own Juice" which I'm sure a great many people do (myself included) and there's no way they're going to know in advance that Billy Bob from San Diego wants a 120ml bottle of 65/35 pg/vg juice @ 6mg nic with 4 parts Bananas Foster, 3 parts Black Cherry, 1 part Cinnamon Danish and 4 parts Toasted Marshmallow Fluff with 2 extra flavor shots on the Fluff. Now, MBV could, at this point, hold the order for 2 weeks before shipping so the juice would be pre-steeped by the time Billy Bob gets it. But then we'd complain, "They ship too slow!!!". So they make it up and they ship it out and Billy Bob gets it 3 days later. Now he's got 3 day old juice and thinks, "wow, this stuff is disgusting!" and for 2 weeks, it is.

Actually, that flavor combination would probably be disgusting anyway, but I digress...

Or you could order from several non-customizable vendors such as Five Pawns for example, where all juice is 50/50, 4 nic strengths, 27 non-mixable flavors in 30ml bottles only. Pre-steeped. $27.50.

Timactionfigures

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Boringhamton, NY, USA
I've been ordering exclusively from MBV for over a year, on average once a month and have never experienced this so called "chemical" flavor. There was maybe a little wierdness early on when I was experimenting with flavor shots and PG/VG ratio, nothing a short steep didn't fix. But for many months now I've stuck with the house blend 80PG/20VG, 12 mg nicotine, and no flavor shots, and all the flavors I've had taste exactly as they should, even fresh from the mailbox. Some of my faves include Moo Juice, Blue Moo, Thug Juice, 555, Ecto Cooler, Strawbana, Dutch Apple Pie, Sticky Bun, White Out, I could go on, too many good flavors to list!

It would help if you provided the flavor and mix of the juice you ordered. There is such a thing as too many flavor shots, and if you went 100% VG the flavor will definitely need a good steep. Personally, MBV works great for me and my Mrs. Can't beat the prices and fast shipping, juice tastes great, and it keeps us off the smokes! :vapor:

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
Take off the little nipple and smell the liquid. Some flavors are extracted with alcohol and can give you a burning sensation, I tend to find that it's harsh on the exhale with liquids like that. If it does smell like alcohol then you can leave the bottle open with the nipple off for 6-12 hours to let some of the alcohol evaporate. I had a liquid that killed my throat, but once I let it breathe it wasn't nearly as harsh. Also remember to shake the bottle. I had a bulk bottle that I didn't shake before using and it burned my throat, but it completely went away once I gave it a good shake.

Avid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
From Mt. Baker Vapor...

For the best flavor, they *recommend* steeping 2-4 weeks for regular flavors, and 4-8 weeks for tobacco flavors if you don't like them right OOTB. It's a personal choice. For me, I find their juice tastes strange until I let them steep - except for Moo Juice which I liked right away BUT got much better the longer it sat.

YMMV

owmang

Jul 3, 2014
New Zealand`
Ok, i fixed the problem. I breathed the juice in hot water after a good shake for about 30mins shook it again and let it sit with the cap on in a draw over night, got up shook it again and put it in hot water for another 10 mins. The chemical taste is fading and is almost completely gone. I left it for a futher hour with the cap off. Gave it a good shake and now its how it should taste. They're both fruit flavors so i didnt steep any longer. The problem's fixed as far as i can tell the juice tastes the way it should. thanks for all the help guys, if i didnt post this thread i probably would still be stuck with foul juice hahaha. In summary, its essential to give them a good breathe for at least 30mins in hot water. I think its got to do with speeding up the ethyl alcohol evaporation. Hot water or not, MBV juices MUST be breathed for a while before use

I was kinda disappointed with my first MBV order...

Blue Moo- Soap
Coconut - Chemical Soap
Coconut Cream Pie - Unflavored Soap
Cotton Candy - Cotton Candy (super sweet)
Thug Juice - Too much menthol

I did the warm rice steep method which was a stupid waste of rice...Open cap breathe method... Daily shake.... It's been a little over 2 weeks and Blue Moo has hope!!!!
I haven't re tried Thug Juice yet, my local Vape Shop owner says he tastes soap. For me they are hit and miss but affordable so not a huge loss.

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
I've been ordering exclusively from MBV for over a year, on average once a month and have never experienced this so called "chemical" flavor. There was maybe a little wierdness early on when I was experimenting with flavor shots and PG/VG ratio, nothing a short steep didn't fix. But for many months now I've stuck with the house blend 80PG/20VG, 12 mg nicotine, and no flavor shots, and all the flavors I've had taste exactly as they should, even fresh from the mailbox. Some of my faves include Moo Juice, Blue Moo, Thug Juice, 555, Ecto Cooler, Strawbana, Dutch Apple Pie, Sticky Bun, White Out, I could go on, too many good flavors to list!

It would help if you provided the flavor and mix of the juice you ordered. There is such a thing as too many flavor shots, and if you went 100% VG the flavor will definitely need a good steep. Personally, MBV works great for me and my Mrs. Can't beat the prices and fast shipping, juice tastes great, and it keeps us off the smokes! :vapor:

This has been my experience as well since I started vaping in January of this year. I order exclusively from MBV and couldn't be happier.:)

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
I quit ordering from MBV this past Spring mainly because even their Max VG blends (which can still contain quite a bit of PG from the flavoring and nic) started burning my throat. I am sensitive to PG, but I don't know if their PG content increased or if I became more sensitive to it. They also stopped offering thinned (with distilled water) Max VG, which is another reason I quit ordering from them.

With artificial flavors, some people can detect a chemical taste.

Seattle444

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2014
Everett, Wa
When I use to order from MBV before DIY I found out their juice needed at least 2 weeks steep. In many cases I would just put it away for a month and then IMHO the juice was very nice for the price you pay. People can complain about how bad their juice is but its only $5. Since I got into DIY that was the best thing I have done when it comes to juice. I will probably never buy juice from a vendor again. My mixes I do the same thing. I mix some batches and put them away for a month and then they are fabulous after a nice aging.

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
Another X factor is some juices need literally ZERO steeping. A lot of fruit based flavors are like that. I mostly DIY, so setting some extra juice aside to steep isn't a big deal for me, and I can tell you there are some mixes I have that do not change at all over time.
Then others only need a day or two, and after that again you will see no major change.
Then of course there are some that may need months before they don't taste like death

yeah MBV isnt very friendly to people sensitive to PG. They really need to have an option of 0% PG blends and use distilled water to carry their flavors. They have every other option to customise juice that you can think of but left out the most important one for PG sensitive vapers

I don't believe that is possible since they use PG based flavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread