Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Senator McConnell, a tobacco Ally, Supports Raising Age to buy Cigarettes
Senator McConnell, a Tobacco Ally, Supports Raising Age to Buy Cigarettes

[It's sickening how they pretend he's a "tobacco ally" when he's done nothing ever to oppose Tobacco Control lies and fraud.]

"Altria and R. J. Reynolds also praised the senator and noted that they had also supported state Tobacco 21 efforts."

[I told you, they've been controlled by anti-smokers for decades, and they've just been selling us out piece by piece.]

mp25

Dec 27, 2018

[It's sickening how they pretend he's a "tobacco ally" when he's done nothing ever to oppose Tobacco Control lies and fraud.]

"Altria and R. J. Reynolds also praised the senator and noted that they had also supported state Tobacco 21 efforts."

[I told you, they've been controlled by anti-smokers for decades, and they've just been selling us out piece by piece.]

I’ve drawn two conclusions from this news:

1) Big Tobacco is so threatened by vaping that they’re willing to sacrifice their 18- to 20-year-old customers if e-cigarette companies must do the same.

2) Big Tobacco and Kentucky Tobacco farmers did not donate enough money to Mitch McConnell’s re-election campaign.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
All politicians are anti vaping now.

It's a money issue and the main players are blue and red. Money is green.

Before the era of the Gottlieb branded JUUL epidemic, this was much More Viable.

But now that States are jumped onto the Tax Train, and by the time that 2022 rolls around I'm sure there will be a "Revised" Federal Tobacco Tax that includes Nicotine in e-Liquids, I don't see Money as the Major mover when it comes to Our Federal Reps.

I think it is more Not wanting to look like you Aren't Doing Anything to Saving the Children. And perhaps for something like McConnell's bill, being able to Fend Off Heavy-Handed Legislation by having something a little less of your own.

And then being able to take Credit for something. Verses letting your Counterparts take the Spotlight.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Spot on zoid.

I remember in the mid 80's the US president threatening to pull federal funds from any state that did not raise the drinking age to 21. Memories of Vietnam still lingered in the public psyche so there was a whole lot of backlash about youngsters old enough to die in war but not old enough to drink a glass of beer at a cookout.

The notion was to stop underage drinking and along with it car crashes by drunken 17 year olds. As I recall it helped. At least it did in my state. Back then many states laws were such that liquor and wine drinkers had to be 21. Beer 18. The dead teenagers more time than not were loaded with beer.

Now with the so-called vape epidemic politicians have decided to try it with tobacco products. Like it or not an e-cig is always going to be lumped in with cigarettes. Is this tobacco product thing wiping out a bunch of kids like beer was? Pffft, heavens no. With the advent of gluten free, peanut free, meat free, germophobic society where kids aren't even allowed to play outside during what used to be called recess it's not surprising to this vaper that the nanny state is pouncing on the so-called scurge of nicotine useage. Most states have either jumped on board with the 21 to use tobacco products thing or soon will be. And for the reasons zoid cited.

Two of my neighbors kids were walking down the road sharing a cigarette a few years back. They were both 17. A local yocal arrested the kid with the cigarette pack while letting the other one go who had a sack of illegal smoking material on his person. The amount by weight was less than the local law considered illegal to posess but one cigarette was considered illegal to posess under 18.
True story.

Last edited:

mp25

Dec 27, 2018
Spot on zoid.

I remember in the mid 80's the US president threatening to pull federal funds from any state that did not raise the drinking age to 21. Memories of Vietnam still lingered in the public psyche so there was a whole lot of backlash about youngsters old enough to die in war but not old enough to drink a glass of beer at a cookout.

The notion was to stop underage drinking and along with it car crashes by drunken 17 year olds. As I recall it helped. At least it did in my state. Back then many states laws were such that liquor and wine drinkers had to be 21. Beer 18. The dead teenagers more time than not were loaded with beer.

Now with the so-called vape epidemic politicians have decided to try it with tobacco products. Like it or not an e-cig is always going to be lumped in with cigarettes. Is this tobacco product thing wiping out a bunch of kids like beer was? Pffft, heavens no. With the advent of gluten free, peanut free, meat free, germophobic society where kids aren't even allowed to play outside during what used to be called recess it's not surprising to this vaper that the nanny state is pouncing on the so-called scurge of nicotine useage. Most states have either jumped on board with the 21 to use tobacco products thing or soon will be. And for the reasons zoid cited.

Two of my neighbors kids were walking down the road sharing a cigarette a few years back. They were both 17. A local yocal arrested the kid with the cigarette pack while letting the other one go who had a sack of illegal smoking material on his person. The amount by weight was less than the local law considered illegal to posess but one cigarette was considered illegal to posess under 18.
True story.

President Clinton did the same thing with actual tobacco products in 1998, and almost immediately every state complied. It’s basically the only constitutional method for the federal government to assert control over these types of states’ rights issues (and it works).

I am very concerned about this growing opposition to vaping in favor of “that other thing”. I have never opposed people smoking it in the privacy of the own home, especially for medical purposes. However, there are legislators in my state that on one hand just raised the e-cigarette purchase age to 21 and on the other hand claim that restaurants and bars should be able to allow smoking “that other thing” if they choose.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Agreed mp. Seems backwards, don't it?

It Doesn't seem Backwards at all. Because it's No Longer about Common Sense. Or Public Health. Or even Running a Country.

It's a game about getting Votes. Or more Precisely, getting More Votes than the other side.

So make any/all the Promises that you want. Or get behind any Fiscally Irresponsible or Crazy Program there is. As long as you can get Votes, who cares?

And if the Country goes to Hell in a Hand Basket? That's not a Problem. Just Blame the other side.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have no doubt that 18-21 year olds who so desire can get their hands on some smokes. It really isn't that hard.

A dedicated person with an inquiring mind and a curious bent can really get anything much they want, especially if they have the money for goods and services rendered,

I actually do think that if ecigs should be 21, so should cigarettes. I actually ALSO think that waiting until 21 may give some of the LAW ABIDING but curious young adults a bit more of a chance to let their brains mature and think over the consequences. I mean, it might save some of them.

The political grandstanding is not necessary and I do think most politicans know their hard core additcts are gonna get what they want anyway. It's not going to affect the bottom line.

I also think the first time I hear about a 19 year old being jailed for smoking or vaping, I might lose it.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread