MD Anderson starting research

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanzo.esq

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
TX
Found the below picture in my news paper. The questions they ask sure look like the ones related to ecigs.
Research.2.jpg

Hanzo.

drtwain5

Nov 2, 2013
TX
See below from MD Anderson. The study may already be doomed to satisfy their assertions, instead of being hypothesis-driven. There are data with substantially different interpretations to their own, especially in relation to increases in use by teenagers (yes, when asked, the rate of ecig use increased from 1% to 2% in one study), but the same study never asked if the same teenagers showed a higher rate of alcohol or pot use as well, i.e., relative risk.

"Claims that e-cigarettes are 'safe' are misleading. We've been telling society for the past 30 years that they shouldn't smoke, and that tobacco is bad," says Paul Cinciripini, Ph.D., director of MD Anderson's tobacco Treatment Program. "But tobacco companies are smart and have a good marketing strategy when it comes to promoting new products."
"Promoting the e-cigarettes already on the shelves as 'safe' is misleading and, if looked at as a harmless alternative to cigarettes, could potentially lead to a new generation of smokers more likely to become tobacco dependent," Cinciripini says. "There is not enough research involving e-cigarettes for us to really know what's in them such as added components that could be potentially harmful."
Cinciripini adds that research and regulation is also needed to understand e-cigarettes' long-term effects.
E-cigarettes may be especially dangerous for children and youth
Alexander Prokhorov, M.D., Ph.D., smoking cessation expert and director of MD Anderson's Tobacco Outreach Education Program, is concerned that the popularity of the e-cigarette will be staggering and perhaps detrimental to our most vulnerable population - the younger generation.
"The e-cigarette contains nicotine, which is addictive, and it can be a gateway for users to switch to other nicotine products," says Prokhorov, whose research focuses on smoking prevention and cessation in youth.

"Prokhorov says that kids are lured into believing the products such as e-cigarettes are safer when disguised by creative packaging and popular flavoring, but the reality is that they haven't been tested.
"What looks cool and attractive can be an illusion, especially to children and teens who are easily impressed," Prokhorov says. "We must be proactive in educating our communities, schools and government about dangers associated with these products."
And, Prokhorov adds, once a young person starts to use nicotine, he or she is more likely to try other tobacco products, including cigarettes, which put users at increased risk for lung cancer and other diseases".

Last edited:
It seems there has been quite a bit of negative attention toward ecigarettes lately. I am kind of interested to see what the research shows, being that it's an unbiased study. Sometimes I worry who funds these studies that people do, especially if big tobacco has a hand in the funding somewhere. I saw this article the other day from City of Hope regarding e-cigarettes, and calling them a gateway to traditional cigarettes.

http://breakthroughs.cityofhope.org/ecigarettes/9614/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread